Do bosses on Final Fantasy XIII make you tense?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2012, 9:49 pm

Ever since the first encounter with Barthandelus the game has made me tense at some of the harder bosses in the game. I thought he was hard. Took me a lot of hours of tweaking my battle plans to beat him and got only a little help from walkthroughs and videos. Anyways, I got to Orphan and the first time I had to beat him I couldn't do anything no matter what. Walkthroughs and such didn't matter till I went off somewhere to bring my characters' stats up. I was so tense all those times beating it that my legs were weak, my head ached and I was drained when I was done.

Any other games do this to you? This one certainly tired me out. And I did beat it today finally. YAY!

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 12:22 am

The last boss in FFXIII was very annoying cause I'd keep dying after fighting it for a long time. I finally beat it too though.

By the way FFXIII has the best graphics I've seen on the PS3.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 2:24 am

I never had much of a problem with bosses. They were more frustrating than anything else. I wouldn't say I was tense but quite a few bosses definitely kept me on my toes. Probably the best fight in the game was up against Raines. That one was crazy.

The bosses in this game didn't really excite me the way they did in previous games. With the standard kind of battle system you have time to enjoy the battle, the music, everything. And the boss enemies were usually pretty cool. In this game you're either up against robot after robot, or men that turn into robots, and it's just not interesting. And when you do see an interesting boss there's usually enough going on in battle to stop me really savouring it.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 4:04 am

It has been my first real Final Fantasy game, and I had a big problem at frst having to continuolly pay attention and not really be able to take time to do much strategising like I have done in other turn based RPGs. I also found it really hard from Hope being a little wingey bi.. (bad word) and even tried to kill Snow, Well where I got recently was a bit of a turning point so maybe he gets better from there.

There is never really any time to take a rest and just enjoy the suroundings in a fight which makes really tense, I end up kind of dreading getting into any of the big fights.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

05 Jan 2012, 1:24 am

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
I never had much of a problem with bosses. They were more frustrating than anything else. I wouldn't say I was tense but quite a few bosses definitely kept me on my toes. Probably the best fight in the game was up against Raines. That one was crazy.

The bosses in this game didn't really excite me the way they did in previous games. With the standard kind of battle system you have time to enjoy the battle, the music, everything. And the boss enemies were usually pretty cool. In this game you're either up against robot after robot, or men that turn into robots, and it's just not interesting. And when you do see an interesting boss there's usually enough going on in battle to stop me really savouring it.
INo boss in XIII was ever tense. Or came close to causing me to die. Honestly I think I got lucky. By the time I fought Raines, I had Vanille spamming Death. And it hit him. And all of the bosses on Gran Pulse, and back in Eden. Except Orphan's final form. Buffing, debuffing, and casting Death. Yup. Plus having everyone's ultimate weapon helped, too. Can't wait for XIII-2 when it comes out later this month!

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 1:44 am

the only one that ever got my adrenaline pumping was omega id in xenosaga 3, i was hyperventilating after the fight. mostly cause i didn't expect to beat him first try.

in my latest game he went down like nothing, mostly cause i had a plan ahead of time. found out he gets stronger if you have a ton of anima so i pounded him with level one specials and he went down nicely. i lost jin in the fight because i had a moment of distraction. but all in all wasn't as hard the first try.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 2:17 am

SyphonFilter wrote:
INo boss in XIII was ever tense. Or came close to causing me to die. Honestly I think I got lucky. By the time I fought Raines, I had Vanille spamming Death. And it hit him. And all of the bosses on Gran Pulse, and back in Eden. Except Orphan's final form. Buffing, debuffing, and casting Death. Yup. Plus having everyone's ultimate weapon helped, too. Can't wait for XIII-2 when it comes out later this month!

How on earth did you have death by the time you got to Raines? Holy s**t...

Seems like you were overleveled AND spent an insane amount of time leveling up your weapons. And you kept spamming death? Lol okay.

Personally I wasn't even aware of death until the end of my second playthrough of the game. How did you go against the Eidolons and the tougher optional bosses on Pulse? Those were basically designed to kill you on the first try.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 4:11 am

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:

How on earth did you have death by the time you got to Raines? Holy sh**...

Seems like you were overleveled AND spent an insane amount of time leveling up your weapons. And you kept spamming death? Lol okay.

Personally I wasn't even aware of death until the end of my second playthrough of the game. How did you go against the Eidolons and the tougher optional bosses on Pulse? Those were basically designed to kill you on the first try.

i'm wondering how anyone could level up the weapons that fast, damn i have only two characters with final weapons and they aren't even close to being max level.

must have had a real easy time with the turtle things, it took a godawful decade to come up with a strategy to bring those down on my own.

bryce13950
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jan 2012, 8:52 pm

That game reminded me of who I am. I think I died less then 20 times throughout the whole game, so no the bosses did not make me tense.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 12:04 am

bryce13950 wrote:
That game reminded me of who I am. I think I died less then 20 times throughout the whole game, so no the bosses did not make me tense.

What does that mean?

I only died about 20 times as well but there were a few hectic battles. 95% of the battles were easy.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

06 Jan 2012, 1:48 am

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:

I spent hours grinding, leveling up everyone's Crystarium to where it was possible at a given point. It got damn boring, yes, but if I'm gonna fight a JRPG boss, I'm gonna overlevel like hell and make sure I kill it in a few minutes, max. As for the Eidolons, I knew I couldn't win the first time without running out of time, so I started the battle, threw a few Librascopes to find what Paradigms an Eidolon would yield to, then paused and chose Retry. As the pre-battle cutscene played again, I held Select and pressed Start, accessed the camp menu, and created the Paradigms needed to win. That's why the Retry option in the pause menu exists - for Eiidolon battles! I beat the game at 82 hours.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 2:16 am

SyphonFilter wrote:
The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:

I spent hours grinding, leveling up everyone's Crystarium to where it was possible at a given point. It got damn boring, yes, but if I'm gonna fight a JRPG boss, I'm gonna overlevel like hell and make sure I kill it in a few minutes, max. As for the Eidolons, I knew I couldn't win the first time without running out of time, so I started the battle, threw a few Librascopes to find what Paradigms an Eidolon would yield to, then paused and chose Retry. As the pre-battle cutscene played again, I held Select and pressed Start, accessed the camp menu, and created the Paradigms needed to win. That's why the Retry option in the pause menu exists - for Eiidolon battles! I beat the game at 82 hours.

Wow, that's double the time it took me :/

What did you think of the ending?

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 7:36 am

SyphonFilter wrote:
The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:

Wow. I don't think it took me even that long. It took me over 60 for Tales of Vesparia and I thought that game was very long.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 4:40 pm

Darialan wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:
The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:

Wow. I don't think it took me even that long. It took me over 60 for Tales of Vesparia and I thought that game was very long.
Tales of Vesperia only took me 20 hours.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 4:43 pm

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:
The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:

Wow, that's double the time it took me :/

What did you think of the ending?
It sucked that Lightning, Snow, and Sazh got their loved ones back, but Hope's mom didn't come back. Not that I was expecting her to, but I was kinda hoping.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 11:23 am

Might be hope for XIII-2. Apparently it's heavily involved in time travel.

And if that doesn't work, apparently a XIII-3 is in the works.