Page 9 of 10 [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 1:27 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
I'm all for curing autism - as long as the "cure" isn't killing or locking up autistics.

But how do you "cure" autism? The best we can do is offer special education and training to autistic children, so they can make their way in the world as adults. My daughter, who has PDD-NOS, is thankfully receiving such special education even as we speak at school. But the notion that there is a neurotypical child underneath my little girl, who can emerge after getting "repaired" somehow, is just pure fiction.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 2:51 pm

i couldnt care less what his vews on autism were even if they were all for neurodiversity and/or getting help and supports for all of us just his views on everything else would make me not vote for him

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 7:35 pm

It makes me sick to know that my dad is a hardcore Libertarian who votes Republican in most elections. His politic views mostly surround tax spending. What his views are on subjects like war, abortion, and the like? I don't know and I don't wish to know. But from what I've been reading for months, the GOP have lost their ever loving minds with all of these bills and acts that would make conservative views from 100 years ago look progressive.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 8:38 pm

auntblabby wrote:
his spiritual ancestors burned witches at the stake in salem.

No... they didn't... People were hung and pressed to death in the US...

However... his spiritual ancestors, the puritans, were so uptight, the were kicked out of england

Jeffrey228
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2012, 11:11 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
I'm all for curing autism - as long as the "cure" isn't killing or locking up autistics.

Unfortunately with what Santorum and Romney are doing to the Health Care industry taking away meds, I think the option of "killing or locking up autistics" seems like something the GOP has no choice of doing.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 11:24 pm

Feralucce wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
his spiritual ancestors burned witches at the stake in salem.

No... they didn't... People were hung and pressed to death in the US...

However... his spiritual ancestors, the puritans, were so uptight, the were kicked out of england

Actually, Santorum is of the Counter Reformation tradition, which was as morally uptight as the Puritans, and murdered even more witches and heretics.
And on that subject, the funny thing is, a great many American evangelicals have no idea Santorum is Catholic!

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 1:26 am

I stand corrected, technically, but I was using hyperbole... coal + anus + 1 week = diamond...

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 12:39 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
That, or they were deemed demonically possessed.

In that case I believe it would be the child AND the mother.

Mother as the witch, child as the demonically possessed.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 1:31 pm

The thing about prenatal testing and abortion if the child is autistic is that while I think it's the wrong thing to do, I have to support the parent's right to do so. Abortion is legal and the mother should be able to choose an abortion for whatever reason she wants to. If we start getting into reasons for abortion then thats the first step to criminalizing it.

If we want a woman to still have the right to choose abortion in situations where she got pregnant while using birth control and can't afford a baby, or for whatever reason she can't have a baby right then because of school, work, parents, etc then we have to also not try and stop or prevent abortions because the child has downs or is autistic (when that test is available) or even if its the wrong sex or she just doesnt want to gain weight right now.

Also, if they locate the autism gene then possibly if the parents are carriers they may choose not to have children. If the only way it's around is passing down through parents, then choosing to adopt instead will prevent it. Is that such a bad thing for people to choose to do? Also, if the gene is located then if parents were predisposed to it they could do in vitro fertilization and check for the gene there and only implant the ones that didn't have it. Yes, it sounds like eugenics and probably in some form is, but I think that as long as there are parents who want to control things that tightly that they should be able to. After all, the woman's body is the incubator for the baby, and she should be able to choose who to incubate, even if the fact that she would want to be so picky is abhorrant to many of us.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 1:58 pm

The thing that strikes me wrong in this is that this is eugenics. It starts out be weeding out genetic difficulties... then prejudicial conditions...

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 6:07 pm

I read the Wikipedia article but not the act itself.
What is there that I missed that's negative in this act?
What I saw pretty much had to do with screening and intervention.
It also appears to have bipartisan support.
Some of the replies I read make it sound as if they are enacting a modern day version of Aktion T4.
:?

American
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2012, 11:43 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
minervx wrote:
while autism is an important cause to me, it won't be the concern that decides who i vote for.

as of now, i like santorum a little bit, and would prefer him over obama, but i'm likely not going to support him for president.

Well, it's not the "cure autism" crap that Santorum's pushing that makes me want to vomit, but a compilation of that, with his homophobia, his dehumanizing of the poor and down and out, his thinly veiled racism, and his desire to see birth control made illegal.
Oh, and that he belongs to the Latin Mass movement in Catholicism (as does Mel Gibson), which makes him absolutely as dangerous as any fundamentalist.

You and Santorum both want to vomit. That's something you have in common...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 11:51 pm

American wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
minervx wrote:
while autism is an important cause to me, it won't be the concern that decides who i vote for.

as of now, i like santorum a little bit, and would prefer him over obama, but i'm likely not going to support him for president.

Well, it's not the "cure autism" crap that Santorum's pushing that makes me want to vomit, but a compilation of that, with his homophobia, his dehumanizing of the poor and down and out, his thinly veiled racism, and his desire to see birth control made illegal.
Oh, and that he belongs to the Latin Mass movement in Catholicism (as does Mel Gibson), which makes him absolutely as dangerous as any fundamentalist.

You and Santorum both want to vomit. That's something you have in common...

But I vomit for the right reasons. :)

American
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2012, 11:53 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

:lol: I think it is funny that you said this before him. You probably wouldn't have said it otherwise!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 11:59 pm

American wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

:lol: I think it is funny that you said this before him. You probably wouldn't have said it otherwise!

Hm?

American
Toucan
Toucan

17 Apr 2012, 12:05 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
American wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Hm?

You made this comment before he made his throw up comment. That was one of his many gaffes during his "drunk on newfound stardom" period in February.