Seasonal moods / early morning depression

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 12:25 pm

I have noticed before that I get very depressed in mid October, I have been relatively cheerful lately but this has come to an abrupt end and I awake at 4am feeling low. I suppose it must be the change in season or something.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 12:29 pm

Same here. But I also get spring time depressions.

'Tis munny in my purse.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 12:39 pm

I tend to experience that, in the summertime. The heat gets to me.

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 2:24 pm

I feel the same at this time of year. My aunt suffers from SAD (seasonal affective disorder) you may have heard of it.
It is like depression but only affects people at certain times, like when there is not enough sun light to provide us with enough serotonin to keep us happy & cheerful.

People I know suffer with SAD, they treat there SAD with a special light therapy box and, or serotonin tablets.
With the light box you sit in front of it for 30-60 minutes daily. The light box has the best success rate of 85%.
SSRIs have also helped improve SAD, If the light box does not work you can take SSRIs as additional help.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 2:43 pm

I use to think I had SAD.I tried the "light box" and it gave me migrains.I live in Northern US and hate sunlight anyway.I work over night shift which probably doesnt help.My favorite day is "over cast" because bright sun light hurts my eyes.I think my sadness in winter is more,hating the cold and driving in the snow.Maybe,a little of missing hunting for rocks,biking and dumpster diving hobbies.

I think my depression in the spring is more psychological.Everybody is so "excited" running around looking happy.Makes my own "somber" personality seem like depression.At least in the winter,I have an "excuse" for isolating and working on my 'hobbies".

I dont think I get depressed in the summer,just tired from the heat.I hate the heat more then cold.I just wish I lived somewhere that was 40-60 degrees all year.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

jread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2006, 3:33 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I tend to experience that, in the summertime. The heat gets to me.

Glad I'm not the only one! I'm in a wonderful mood in Fall, Winter and Spring, then miserable all summer. It gets hot as hell here and I HATE it.

SilentBedlam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2006, 3:50 pm

I always thought I should take up Vampirism as a profession - I hate sunlight. I do like the taste of blood, but unfortunately (or rather, thankfully) I don't seem to be any good at killing people.

That's my two groats worth...

There is nothing about these perplexing and morally insensitive humans that cannot be solved with the aid of a heavy machine gun.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Oct 2006, 7:32 pm

I have begun to suffer from SAD. How fitting to call it that! I moved to Florida to escape the long winters, but now I miss the long gray days that were so kind to my eyes. I really hate too much heat and sunshine.

Crosser
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2006, 7:50 pm

I hate all the sun and stuff too. I mean, I wouldn't say I get depressed but I do get significantly slower during the winter. I mean, during the summer I go on walks and jobs but during the winter. . . I stay in and play computer all day.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 8:11 pm

Wow, what a coincidence.. I came on here looking for exactly this.. I feel low right now.. Meditating is helping but I've felt pretty low this past week..

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

15 Oct 2006, 8:32 pm

I get depressed around Christmas time, usually, and then I end up perking up round March. I haven't got round to trying a sunlight box or whatever, though. Usually by the time I start getting depressed I lose the will to do something about it anyway.