Words that annoy me for some reason

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 4:49 pm

I can't stand the word, normal. I hate that word.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 4:17 am

"epic" and "amazing" are starting to piss me off, since everyone is over using them.

Also "gamer," "idiot," warcraft" and "otaku" really rub me the wrong way.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 11:16 am

KyleTheGhost wrote:
Relax.

I don't know why, but whenever I hear someone say that word, I get the urge to do this: :roll:

I am really annoyed by the word 'tease'. I can't stand hearing that word.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 11:19 am

Succulent.

And "calm down".

*growl*

valerieclaires
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jan 2012, 11:47 am

What about the word "belly"? *shudders*

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 4:57 pm

It annoys me to hear others referring to people with disabilities as ret*ds. It's happened to me and that's why it annoys me so much.

RockMaster0421
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2012, 8:45 pm

The word "fa***t." Mostly because I'm a HUGE supporter of human rights, especially gay rights, and it's used over and over again to insult people, while denying homophobia. Well if you to not sound homophobic, THEN STOP USING THAT GODDAMN WORD!! ! Jesus!

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 1:02 am

I hate the word"Spastic" to me its a vile repulsive word I remember when I was at the special school and having that word chanted at us from the tech school nearby. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I wa so glad when one of the kids from my school pushed a boy from the tech school off the fence. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 1:08 am

"children"

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 1:14 am

"accost."

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 2:19 am

I don't really hate the sound of any English word. English is a beautiful, soft and fluid language, especially American English. Only netspeak and language riddled with expletives make me cringe. Not that I have a problem with expletives per se, but I prefer that people use them sparingly.

All words that annoy me are German. The entire German language annoys me nowadays. It's as if my distant ancestors had a perverse fondness for aggressive, intimidating noises. The angry hissing of cats, the guttural snarling of dogs, the spitting and rattling of snakes, the high-pitched whistle of boiling water, or the sizzling of hot ash when it hits the ground. For some weird reason, my ancestors tried to imitate these threatening sounds and worked them into their language. The modern day result sounds like a Klingon with chronic bronchitis who tries to throw up on an empty stomach after a night of heavy drinking. I don't like to hear German and don't want to speak it anymore. It makes both my ears and my throat hurt.

But the German grammar is even worse. The English grammar enables me to start talking while I'm still trying to figure out what to say, or how to best say it. But when I speak German, I need to have the complete sentence neatly layed out in my mind before I open my mouth. I can't say something like "Yes, I did mail the letter for the... erm... the insurance company." When I speak the article before having thought about the noun, I might use the wrong grammatical gender and have to say something strange like "the insurance company guy" instead to make it work grammatically.

To make things worse, we often put the verb or predicate at the end of the sentence, so something like "I mailed the letter for the insurance company last week on Tuesday before I went to work" turns into "I have the letter for the insurance company last week on Tuesday before I to work went mailed". When I reach the end of such a sentence, I've often already forgotten what I set out to say. English allows me to throw a compact core sentence out there -- "I did mail the letter" -- and then add additional details as they pop into my head. That's much easier for a nervous and random speaker with a short attention span like me.

Last edited by CrazyCatLord on 18 Jan 2012, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 2:21 am

zany

moxie

wacky

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 2:22 am

If you think german is a harsh language you should listen to some ancient Mayan or Aztec languages.

It is guttural, abrupt, and reflects the violence the Aztec culture especially adored.

In a way, so does German. The Germanic tribes where barbaric and warlike, the language reflects that.

You will reap what you've sown.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 2:24 am

abacacus wrote:
If you think german is a harsh language you should listen to some ancient Mayan or Aztec languages.

It is guttural, abrupt, and reflects the violence the Aztec culture especially adored.

In a way, so does German. The Germanic tribes where barbaric and warlike, the language reflects that.

I am Germanic, barbaric and warlike.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 2:30 am

shrox wrote:
abacacus wrote:

It was bred in to you over many generations as to better fight the Romans :wink:

The British are the same way, the Scottish especially.

You will reap what you've sown.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 2:34 am

abacacus wrote:
shrox wrote:
abacacus wrote:

It was bred in to you over many generations as to better fight the Romans :wink:

The British are the same way, the Scottish especially.

Arrgh!

Paris is just a failed Roman colony anyway...