Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2012, 11:59 pm

This is hapen alot with me, today i went to autism social evening that is done monthy by natinal autistic society when i got in it was way to overstimulation i was there with youth worker therapy lady (who very soon stoping taking me out only ment be few week) room filled with young autistics,some shouting,singing,playing, laughing ALLATONCE were extreme many noises,then i left to coridor,and asked lady if she could talk to staf get them to chat with me, (i cant speak i type on phone) she kept not undrstnding,then i had head in arms folded over legs she said"i was ignoring her"by mistake which then trigerd meldtdown, when i get meldown i uncontrolably hurt myself with fists nails hit head of knees back of wall, my legs are bruised alot and i have deep cuting in my legs i also lost quite lot chunk of skin out knuckle, lady dosnt do what mum does and force stop me she tel me to stop over and over, i do this alot and is uncontrolable every therpst etc thati metsay i defntly not asperger

ThDude
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jan 2012, 12:41 am

This kind of situation can be very frustrating, but I will say self harm does not help. It may for a moment or two but the underlined problem is still there.

It sounds like this person is not listening to you, maybe you could get someone else insted of her?

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 12:52 am

I have banged my head against the wall during meltdowns before so I can understand.

I have realized that the only thing hurting yourself does is hurt you long afterward.
For some reason during meltdowns I still continue to do it.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

ThDude
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jan 2012, 1:07 am

artrat wrote:
I have banged my head against the wall during meltdowns before so I can understand.

I have realized that the only thing hurting yourself does is hurt you long afterward.
In times of stress our minds to not think as well as they should, so while you know it's a bad idea while feeling normal, once stressed or somthing of that matter you lose judgment and preform what you would not have.

I actualy wore ear plugs in one ear or both to they and filter out some input and it helps, however you must remember to take them out while talking to avoid missing what the person has said.

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2012, 11:45 am

artrat wrote:

Yea i know what you mean

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2012, 11:54 am

ThDude wrote:

It sounds like this person is not listening to you, maybe you could get someone else insted of her?
oh she does listen, just not sure how to respond i gues, it isnt as simple as just get somone else, anyway next week is last day out with her

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 2:45 pm

I also bang my head into the wall when in meltdown and also hit my head with my open hand and sometimes clenched hands very rapidly. I just have no control and do it as part of the meltdown.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 5:02 pm

That does NOT sound pleasant. I've almost never banged my head on anything, but I've whacked my arms on things, bitten myself, scratched myself, etc. And you're always so tired afterward. No fun at all.

I don't blame you for being frustrated when she said you were ignoring her. Sounds like you were making every effort to communicate, and that's not "ignoring". You put your head down trying to control sensory input--very smart of you, actually; I do that too--and she thought it meant you were trying to ignore her.

Do you work with this staff person often? If you do, I think you should have a meeting with her and explain what tends to cause overload for you, and what you want to do when you are overloaded; and what you would like her to do to help you. It's a meeting for autistic people, right?--So, if they are smart, they will have a place that is quiet, where you can go if you are overloaded and you need to be in a calm place for a while. If you can arrange to tell her when you are overloaded, and she can help you get to a quiet place, maybe you can avoid some of those meltdowns.

You say your mom is good at helping you with meltdowns. Maybe you could get your mom to meet with this lady and get your mom to explain what works for you. Are you still living at home? Should be pretty easy, if you are. If not, a phone call should work.

How well can you predict meltdowns? Are they sudden, or do you know when one is going to happen? If they are sudden, maybe you could look at the circumstances that tend to be around when you have one, and find ways to make those environments less unpleasant for you.

Good luck, anyway. Here's hoping you will have fewer bruises on your head in the future. :)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com