Page 2 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 2:50 pm

My friend (who has Fragile-X Syndrome) once got really drunk, and ended strutting about the street completely naked, and everybody were laughing at her. Then she got some perverted men come and take advantage of her, then when her parents found out, she threw such a big outburst (from shame and embarrassment) that she threatened to kill herself by hanging out the window, and she had to be took away for a couple of days. She was only 17 at the time.

What if something dreadful like that happened to me if I got drunk? I will never, ever get drunk, so I shall never, ever know.

Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)

faerie_queene87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2012, 3:04 pm

Drowsy. I tend to avoid it.

Diamorphine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jan 2012, 3:07 pm

faerie_queene87 wrote:
Drowsy. I tend to avoid it.

Yeah, someone agrees! It's not even the good kind of drowsy, it's the "I feel like I have the flu" drowsy.

The good kind of drowsy is the kind you get from banging a half-gram of H after a week without it, it's like you're just flying through the skies of happy-noddy land.

tuffy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2012, 7:15 pm

In moderation it makes me feel a little bit better for a couple of hours. Today I've had way too much so I have to really concentrate to hold hands calm for long enough to type.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 7:25 pm

Tough to say, and I want to say before I answer that I may not actually have AS (even though I also very well may)

I drink often because of what it does for me. It calms my brain down, it helps my speech flow more smoothly, it keeps me from being as anxious.

drinking for me has been a self-medication sort of thing for like 10 or 15 years now. I will try quitting for the second time soon on February 29th

I would say, whether AS or not, that drinking, while not making NTs any more comfortable with me, it makes me more comfortable with them and the typical world in general.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 7:32 pm

I would always be very happy after drinking. Some people turn into monsters.

When I became depressed I had a very bad experience with alcohol and tried to harm myself (potentially fatally) and so after years and years of thinking I had no problems at all with it I now treat alcohol much more cautiously.

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 9:05 pm

Aharon wrote:
I'm still me, just a badly coordinated me. It doesn't seem to alter my mood or thinking at all.

Same here.

themanfromacme
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jan 2012, 9:19 pm

One drink: not much.
Two drinks: where did my extremities' nerve endings go?
Three drinks: I don't know, I've never stopped at exactly three.
Four drinks: angry.
Five drinks: angrier.
Six drinks: angriest.
Seven drinks: unconscious.

tropicalcows
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2012, 9:41 pm

Well I've never had enough to drink to become inebriated. I have no interest in it. However, I'd imagine it wouldn't be a good reaction. Even small amounts of caffeine give me panic attacks.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 12:51 am

Alcohol affects me rather poorly.

By itself, it makes me sick. I don't really vomit much when drinking, but I will quite nauseous soon after drinking. I am also prone to really bad hangovers where every bone in my body hurts the next day, all day. That's even after only drinking 3 or 4 beers. Then wine, I can't even be around that stuff, the smell alone makes me nauseous, and if I drink wine, I won't even really get drunk, I will skip straight to hangover.

The only time I have ever got into regular drinking was when I was smoking weed along with it. The weed was able to calm the nausea enough so that I could actually enjoy the drinking. The problem was I liked the combination so much I wouldn't stop, and eventually I became an embarrassing drunk all the time. I eventually went to rehab to dry myself out. Now I don't touch either.

Diagnosed in 2005

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 1:03 am

Alcohol seems to negatively affect my blood glucose (stays higher longer than normal) and I don't like it. I also avoid it because I don't want to have a higher risk of triggering my all to frequent gout flare ups.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 1:16 am

I'm a cheap date. Half a shot lowers my guard across the board. I talk too much, disturb people with what's really on my mind and become sexually promiscuous. More than half a shot just makes me fall asleep. It never works out well so I don't drink at all.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 1:31 am

Nothing, at the levels I've tried anyway.

I get the same thing with lots of sedatives (barring anti-histamine based ones).

I guess I'm just running too high.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 3:23 pm

Pieohpah wrote:
I get enormous help from alcohol. It eases my social and physical tension. I feel that stress makes my AS more prominent and alcohol less. I feel much better in crowds when a little or more drunk.

/Peter

AS 127
NT 81

What do others say about your behavior? Are you ever not drunk? How do you know how you come off when you're drunk? I've gone to parties where people get drunk (and I don't) and they do stupid things and then think they were the hit of the party. It's all an illusion for them.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 3:47 pm

Some times I can drink the better part of a fifth and barely act a bit different, other times I can get up a pretty good slur and start getting overly-enthusiatic socially (at those times I occasionally get criticized for talking too close to people's faces, particularly in loud environments like bars, which I think happens because I've been criticized so much for talking too softly in the past).

Other than that though, I'm with a few other people in that I really don't have a way to lose myself in it - really what you see when I'm sober is reasonably close to what you get if I'm drunk.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 2:33 am

Back when I wasn't on prescribed medications (for diabetes, asthma, hypertension, etc.) and I could drink more than 1 or 2 without getting nauseated, I used to be happy and silly... and everything was the funniest thing I'd ever heard. Now I stay away from it because I just get nauseated before I can even feel any effects of the alcohol.