Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 7:53 pm

As a child, I was much too socially unaware to recognize bullying. Now, I remember several incidents that may have been attempts at bullying. If you are too socially unaware to recognize bullying, then bullies will give up on you and move on to torture someone else.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Jan 2012, 8:13 pm

I was bullied throughout school. A lot of incidents I didn't recognize at the time as bullying, but many were fairly blatant.

People still try to bully me, although that mostly happens online. The worst example of that was earlier this year when someone who was militantly against self-diagnosis wanted to prove my self-diagnoses wrong. I'd had arguments with him about it (on an ADHD-related forum, related to self-diagnosis of ADHD), and he rarely had answers for my points. He did, rather aggressively try to convince me that my entire childhood happened the way he imagined it rather than the way it actually happened, and he recruited other people into helping him. Was a really annoying thing, but all he accomplished was earning my disdain and turning people against the tactics he was using.

There have been a couple of people on this forum who appeared to use bullying tactics on me. One of them I'm sure was trying to be manipulative and bullying, although he has yet to find any of my actual emotional buttons. The other, I'm not sure that he was trying to bully me, as I stopped responding to him as soon as he descended to namecalling and bizarre accusations of ulterior motives.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 9:05 pm

On further thought, I'm really good at engaging with engaging people, but otherwise I see things from a very top-down perspective, and bullying is specifically non-engaging, it's deliberately failing to see the person, which makes it very hard for me to recognise. I can see when someone can see me or I can see the general patterns they all make but... like...

...if this is my top-down view of people from 20,000ft:

-o-

-o'

I can't even see which direction they're facing.

This isn't just me, right? Engaging zaps you back to ground level; disengaging pops you into overview. Anyone?

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 9:47 pm

I was bullied alot in junior high because I acted strangely. I got beat up in 8th grade because some girl misinterpreted me. In high school I mainly hung around others who were outcasts, like the metalheads and nerds. School wasI difficult, socially. Now I'm an adult so people don't beat me up but they still will talk about people if they act different.

tropicalcows
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2012, 9:53 pm

My mom says I was bullied in early elementary school for being overweight, and it caused me much anxiety. I don't remember this though. By third grade I was thin, and invisible to the world.

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 10:01 pm

Bullied and sometimes bully others.

Sometimes I was asking for it because I would harass the known bully by calling him names and do stupid s***. So yeah, I kind of brought some of it on myself lol

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 10:30 pm

I think my worst experiences in bullying were my Kindergarten years.

Being an Asthmatic kid, fifteen pounds lighter than everyone else, allergic to everything under sun, with left-right confusion made for a very interesting life. I don't think a day went by that i didn't cry because i had to go to kindergarten.

I remember before we could take a nap, we were all required to take our shoes off to keep from damaging the mats we laid on. After nap, we were instructed to put our shoes back on. Trust me, it wasn't a pretty sight.

I can still see the three bullies in my minds eye, Raymond /Damon(twins) and Thurmond.......

Now, I look upon those years and smile with amusement BUT when it was happening real time; it was a nightmare.

TheSunAlsoRises

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jan 2012, 11:07 pm

In terms of stuff that may or may not have traumatized me, around kindergarten I was taunted by a group of older kids (around 12-13ish). They would roller skate around me in the gym when we went in and would circle me just yelling at me and hitting me, etc. My bullying issues ended in the second grade though when I moved, I was being punched and kicked and generally beat up then as well. This time however, I broke the bully's nose in response, nobody has messed with me since, the only problem was that I had to keep up that tough guy exterior or else I would fall right back into it. Which I still hold today! For better or worse...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 11:21 pm

I sat down with a 35th-year reunion newsletter from my graduating class, and after reading through it, I realized that the bullies I knew would never bother me again because they are all dead. This was in 2010. Since then, the memories of their abuse don't seem to carry as much emotional content as they used to.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 11:39 pm

Fnord wrote:
I sat down with a 35th-year reunion newsletter from my graduating class, and after reading through it, I realized that the bullies I knew would never bother me again because they are all dead. This was in 2010. Since then, the memories of their abuse don't seem to carry as much emotional content as they used to.

The bullies who entered my life are either repeat offenders, incarcerated, drug addicts, or dead. I saw this occurring well before i reached my mid-twenties, two decades ago.

TheSunAlsoRises

RandomNickname
Raven
Raven

05 Jan 2012, 11:49 pm

Well i was short and fat.. Which was the main focus. So yes i did get bullied.

Luckily puberty kicked in, and i started growing loads and losing a load of weight, so i started defending myself. People soon got the idea, and started leaving me alone, i still didn't have friends though.

I'm in college atm, and the people are a lot better. I have a small group of friends, and although there is a friendly exchanges of insults.. there is never anything malicious

dandeliondaisy
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jan 2012, 12:00 am

I was bullied by an older kid in middle school math class. It's weird thinking about a boy bullying a girl, but I think he was so persistent in taunting me because I he knew I didn't know how to respond. He would push me in my desk/chair several feet forward as the teacher had his back turned, the teacher would hear it and turn around, wait for me to tell him what happened so he could punish the boy, I think? But I didn't know what to say or do. So he would just pretend like he didn't notice. I remember the other kids as he was doing these things whispering, "Just SAY something!" People were obsessed with trying to make me talk from middle school through high school.

I also realize now (15 years later) that I was actually being bullied by the girls I hung out with in middle school. There are a several conversations/events I remember being very confused about at the time, so they've always stuck with me, but now that I look back I wonder how I couldn't tell they were being mean to me. Weird how that works.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 1:32 am

Of course.

I'm still bullied now when I'm around a group. I don't take it anymore, hence why I can't work with people.

Map12
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2012, 1:38 am

Yes. I got bullyed and tease for always wearing hoodies everyday.

One day two kids came up to me and pulled my hood down exposing my head. I immediately started having a meltdown crying and screaming at them.

I'm a girl

Last edited by Map12 on 06 Jan 2012, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 3:10 am

I was bullied in elementary school for having an avid interest in ecology and zoology from a young age. Also, I was teased a lot for having joint problems that meant I needed to wear knee and ankle braces from time to time.

They called me "animal freak" or "weakling"

Usually it didn't amount to anything big, just people messing up my books, or shouting insults at me. Once a girl told me I couldn't drink from the same water fountain though and I ended up getting a detention for telling her to "put a sock in it" and refusing to apologize for the comment. After that I decided to be relentless about defending justice for myself or others wherever I saw the opportunity. I realized that the system was flawed and that I couldn't rely on adults to fix situations for me. I switched schools and started training karate. Bullying stopped after that.

In high school they called me "danger girl" (my favorite nickname to date), probably because I was still really clumsy, but also possibly because I put a 300lb man on his head in a bush for touching me inappropriately at a party in junior year. I had no real enemies. The people I fought with were my good friends just looking for some kumite training... well, except for bush guy. Other than him high school was pretty alright.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 5:41 am

I changed schools a lot and initially got bullied a lot (locked in gym, had s**t thrown at me, beaten up, tied to bandstand, forced to take clothes off). I'm an NT, but I guess everyone knows it happens to many kids.

So when I arrived at a new school, I would find the nastiest bully and kick out first with as much anger I could muster, so they were shocked. I hardly ever had to have a real fight, good as I was tiny and terrified of violence. On one occasion I discovered that the stupidest vilest bully, a much older girl who terrorised everyone, was pregnant. But it was a massive secret. So I waited until assembly then I challenged her in front of everyone, guessing she would not risk hurting her pregnancy (of course I wouldn't have fought her). Nobody figured it out, even her, and everyone left me alone for years.