Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 10:53 am

Plagiarising T H White's The Sword in the Stone, title 'The Stick in the Stone'. Substitute legendary sword with a stick, of which, rather than the hilt, the 'wrong end' is in relief of the stone. Boy( or girl?) draws stick from the stone and goes on to be crowned monarch.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 11:36 am

Since you flat out have admitted that you (or whoever is writing this) would be "plagarizing "T. H. White's The Sword and the Stone", its a bad idea for your own story if you have any intentions of doing anything w/ it beyond personal use. Admitting to and/or committing plagiarism is wrong and will make you look completely unprofessional if you wish to become a writer as a hobby/career. The only way what you are suggesting could really work is if you give credit to TH White's story as inspiration for your own work (which might still be a stretch depending on what you're writing). You can use other stories as research for your own story (ex. if you want to write a story about something to do with Arthurian Legends). But it is usually better to make your own twists much more unique than what you were describing, make it a historical account, or create your own ideas (I prefer the last one personally but whatever floats your boat).

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 12:10 pm

I appreciated your feedback.

Hmm.

What do you think if I called it 'iThe Sword in the Stone'?

You know, like apple.

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 12:30 pm

I was hoping that making a comedy out of it could help with the plagiarism, and was thinking more along the lines of short radio play than novel. I think plagiarism is more acceptable in humour, more so if I tried to be satirical. I see you point on being original though.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 7:15 pm

You could just use the plot of sword and the stone and change everything else.
I suggest to make it a comedy set in a different time. Make it original and come up with your own characters.
Then it would not be considered plagiarism.

Remember that all art is stolen and influenced by other artists. Nothing is 100% original anymore.
A satire version of the sword and the stone sounds very interesting. Good luck with your writing.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright