Page 1 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Thedarkpoet
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jan 2012, 1:59 pm

What movies do you think has a main character or a side character with aspergers?

Last edited by Thedarkpoet on 06 Jan 2012, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2012, 2:00 pm

Pink Floyd The Wall

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 2:29 pm

Forest Gump?
mr bean?

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 2:37 pm

Surfman wrote:
Forest Gump?
mr bean?

Forest Gump was as far as I can tell clinically ret*d, so if you would place him on the spectrum I would think that severe autism would be more accurate.

whovian_vinnie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2012, 2:44 pm

Meredith in The Family Stone.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 3:23 pm

Punch Drunk Love.

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 4:31 pm

Any and all awkward and insecure protagonists in all of film history. Specifically, every pixar film protagonist and the majority of dreamworks productions, woody, Hiccup(httyd), the bee, the raccoon, the fish...the list goes on. As does the generality of my examples.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Jan 2012, 4:48 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Television, Film, and Video]

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 3:42 am

Donnie Darko showed characteristics of aspergers.

The lead characters from " the social network "and "Mozart and the whale "are aspies.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2012, 7:19 am

whovian_vinnie wrote:
Meredith in The Family Stone.

I need to see that again. I haven't watched it in a while.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 11:38 am

Michelle Flaherty from the American Pie movies. She's extremly awkard and obsessed with band camp stories and her clarinette, and she has a habbit of saying the most bizarr and random things in a normal conversation.

Nightowl2548
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2012, 2:49 pm

You have to remember that most of these characters are filtered through the interpretations of normal people who are the screenwriters and actors so the portrayal might not be completely correct. But off the top of my mind I'd say most of the characters in "Revenge of the Nerds." Also the Robin Williams character in "One Hour Photo," a miserable boring movie. Perhaps "Butters" on South Park who is clueless about the intentions of others around him. A lot of the comedic, bungling, socially inept, character's Woody Allen portrays. Spock too, don't let the fact that he is an "alien" distract you, the screenwriters are really describing AS people they've known when they write for him. Just watch that scene in Star Trek I the motion picture when Spock first comes aboard the Enterprise and the Humans seem all joyful to see him again after all those years and he is unable to reciprocate back. The way he just sneaks off while Uhura is trying to start a bit of conversation about how happy she is to see him, and the way he just stands there in a socially awkward moment in Kirks quarters with McCoy also present. Kirk finally has to say "Will you PLEASE sit down," and McCoy replies "Spock, I see you haven't changed a bit, your just as warm and sociable as ever." Wargames had a comic relief character on screen for a few moments towards the beginning of the film, remember the sidekick at the Computer Lab Broderick goes to in the beginning who very loudly buts into the conversation, then the normal guy with the beard takes him aside and says "Remember that little conversation we had the other day...about how when you were being rude and insensitive you wanted me to tell you...Well you're doing it right now."

Nightowl2548
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2012, 3:00 pm

Thinking off hand about the Harry Potter Movies, the flashbacks of the young Snape character, as well as the flaky Luna character.

I saw a bit from "Zero Effect" the other day and think the original script describes detective Zero as a typical AS though Bill Pullman doesn't play the character that way.

The professor in "Back to the Future."

R. Crumb and his brothers, (both brothers have extremely sever cases, possibly bordering full blown autism or other mental illness)

James Spader's Character's brother in "Bad Influence."

Thedarkpoet
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jan 2012, 3:32 pm

artrat wrote:
Donnie Darko showed characteristics of aspergers.

The lead characters from " the social network "and "Mozart and the whale "are aspies.

Yes I agree with you fully. (Especially in the films Donnie Darko and the social network)

Nightowl2548
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2012, 11:15 pm

Perhaps the female character in The Secretary was based on AS? She rarely talked and had strange compulsions, definitely some personality disorder--she only found happiness being a submissive in S&M.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 11:48 pm

ok disagree with me if you want but Garth from Waynes World.