Aspergers Obsolete? What does this mean?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 7:20 pm

It won't be in the DSM anymore and it just be all autism. But there be a new label, Social Communication Disorder.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 7:24 pm

Maybe there should be a Restricted & Repetitive Disorder too. Are there people who fit the RRB criteria without fitting the social criteria?

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 2:14 am

btbnnyr wrote:
Cannot refrain from making comment including "The Autism Spectrum Disorder Formerly Known As Asperger's".

:lmao: :lmao:

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 5:31 am

Does not like that idea. Usually I don't see myself as autistic.

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jan 2012, 2:38 pm

Quote:
At the moment AS is an autism spectrum disorder called asperger syndrome. Soon, it will be an autism spectrum disorder called nothing. It will just be an autism spectrum disorder. Which it always has been. They're not getting rid of the diagnosis for our set of symptoms, they're just changing the name.

So... Aspergers Syndrome will be known as the name 'nothing'? :lol: All terrible jokes aside, Asperger's Syndrome will be there, but are you saying that it's not going to be acknowledged or are you saying that it's going to be called nothing?

Second thought...Lets not make any changes. This is confusing.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 3:21 pm

I personally, although I haven't been diagnosed yet so maybe my view is invalid, don't see that it will make much difference. People with Aspergers are Autistic. At least I'll be able to actually pronounce what I (most likely) have.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 Jan 2012, 8:25 pm

I like the changes, and I continue to find people who say that Asperger's != autism to be rather bewildering.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 12:31 am

btbnnyr wrote:
Maybe there should be a Restricted & Repetitive Disorder too. Are there people who fit the RRB criteria without fitting the social criteria?

No and yes. That one is covered by 'ADD inattentive.' :P

Moonshadow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2012, 2:37 am

So instead of having something that's specific, we're all grouped into just Autism again that most the NT population has no clue about the nature of, let alone how diverse the symptoms are, and will think we're all born a few eggs shy of a dozen, despite the fact that a great many of us have near genius level IQ. :roll:

I think I'll stop admitting what I have to most people.

Shishka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Jan 2012, 5:48 am

DarthMaul wrote:
Quote:
At the moment AS is an autism spectrum disorder called asperger syndrome. Soon, it will be an autism spectrum disorder called nothing. It will just be an autism spectrum disorder. Which it always has been. They're not getting rid of the diagnosis for our set of symptoms, they're just changing the name.

So... Aspergers Syndrome will be known as the name 'nothing'? :lol: All terrible jokes aside, Asperger's Syndrome will be there, but are you saying that it's not going to be acknowledged or are you saying that it's going to be called nothing?

No, Darth Maul, No :lol: It won't literally be called 'nothing', I meant nothing as in, it won't have a name. It will still be acknowledged as an autism spectrum disorder it just won't be called asperger's anymore.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 6:02 am

I'm sure it'll still be used by some institutions post-DSM-5.

For example, some use Gillberg's Criteria for Asperger's as they feel it captures/captured Hans' paper better instead of the DSM-4.

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 6:04 am

Good, maybe it'll finally kill the term Aspie so I don't have to use it any more. :P

But seriously though, the change doesn't affect me, I'm already HFA. However Aspergers will still likely be used on an unofficial capacity, so it's not like it ceases to exist.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 6:19 am

Sparx wrote:
Well, uh... at least people might take it easy on the ass burger jokes now.

Exactly, that's what I was going to say.

Diagnosed in 2005

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2012, 6:40 am

I, too, like the changes.
- I never liked the term "Aspie"
- I don't know how to pronounce "Asperger"
- No more assburger jokes
- Hopefully it will quell the whole "Aspies are superior! ASPIE PRIDE!!!11!" movement

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 6:46 am

People with PDD-NOS are somewhat left out of public thinking as being on the autism spectrum even here on WP, so it sounds not so bad if there would be only one category, ASD. However, I always raised concerns that getting rid of the labels and putting everything into one neat category 'ASD' might have undesired side-effects on how autism in general regarded by people at all levels and fields of society. First, stereotypes, or rather, symbols are essential parts of NT thinking. Second, different services might be offered for each label. Third, I don't see how severity levels for each individual's diagnosis will play out in practice, if there would be such thing at all (I somewhat doubt it, given the existing diagnosing practice). Confusion is the least what can be expected, imo. Not to mention scientific research, they would certainly need subcategories and/or severity levels.

As for PDD-NOS, people who exhibit only moderate to mild levels of Repetitive Stereotype Behavior (RSB) will be excluded from the spectrum and most likely put into the new Social Communication Disorder (SCD). I don't think that if someone can manage to hide some of their stimmings in public (even when very young) and/or have unusual, less acknowledged types of stimming, it would be fair with them to kick them out of the spectrum and lump into SCD. I speak of possible ways of practice, not about science. In itself the new SCD category would be appreciated.

DarthMaul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2012, 4:19 pm

Shishka wrote:
DarthMaul wrote:
Quote:

No, Darth Maul, No :lol: It won't literally be called 'nothing', I meant nothing as in, it won't have a name. It will still be acknowledged as an autism spectrum disorder it just won't be called asperger's anymore.

Oh! Okay! Because when I (get around to) telling one of my classmates about this. The conversation might go something like this:

Me: Hey Sage.
Sage: Hey.
Me: I was on a website yesterday and I was reading about Ps and Qs.
Sage: P and Q?
Me: Yeah. Cause some kids --like me and my brother-- like to chew on our clothes (we stopped --honest!) they have Ps and Qs to chew on.
Sage: People chew on Ps and Qs?
Me: Yeah. Some autistic kids do.
Sage: You have autism?
Me: Well... Yes and no. I have something called nothing.
Sage: What?
Me: I have Aspergers Syndrome... Currently known as nothing.
Sage: Aspergers Syndrome is like autism.
Me: That it is.

...So... It's still going to be Aspergers Syndrome... Okay! I think I get it.