Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2012, 4:30 pm

I was wondering which medication you recommend for anxiety and why? I'm looking for something which allows me to feel like me but help me to control the anxiety better. Thanks.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 4:34 pm

Adamantus wrote:
I was wondering which medication you recommend for anxiety and why? I'm looking for something which allows me to feel like me but help me to control the anxiety better. Thanks.

I use Valium, as it has more of a tendency to relax muscles than Xanax. The trick to using either one though is not to use them regularly. I asked my doctor what the maximum number of Valium pills I could take without developing tolerance or dependence. That's twelve pills a month, which means you're not taking them regularly.

Using this approach, they would have to be used only for meltdowns or social situations.

The paradox is that diazapines only work when they are not used.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 4:35 pm

I've only ever tried benzodiazepines for anxiety. I've tried Lorazepam (Ativan), Clonazepam (Klonopin), and Oxazepam.

Oxazepam did nothing.

Clonazepam worked, but I started abusing it and taking wayyy too many.

Lorazepam worked, dealt with the anxiety without making me feel too sedated, which meant I didn't abuse it either.

A psychiatrist also tried me on Zoloft as a depression/anxiety combo, but the side effects were too debilitating and I didn't notice it helping my anxiety at all.

Most doctors are hesitant to prescribe me benzos any more because of the short period of time where I abused Clonazepam. I wouldn't likely do it again, but they still won't prescribe me any benzos. I just have to deal with my anxiety through breathing and self talk now.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 4:39 pm

If you are concerned about side-effects from Pharma meds, you might want to try a natural / homeopathic remedy.
I like Hyland's Calms Forte - 100% natural, no side effects, stress relief (from minor anxiety).

Several years ago, I had a stressful day and I thought I would take a few more Calms than the normal dosage, but that didn't help at all - I had a bad reaction and it made me more anxious with palpitations. So even though natural / herbal remedies are pretty safe, they are potent enough to cause problems not taken as recommended.

When I had a prescription for Valium, that was a wonder drug for my anxiety. I only took it as needed (Less than 1X a week). If I could get a doc to prescribe that now, I wouldn't have any occasional meltdowns at work.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2012, 4:53 pm

Thanks for those comments. I've a friend who also takes Xanax and a lot of other people with Asperger's seem to think it helps. I just wonder how difficult it is to know when to take it as sometimes I'm going crazy but don't notice it until afterwards.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 4:53 pm

Since I don't take Valium regularly, I use a lot of white American ginseng. The good thing about ginseng is that it is not only benign, but actually healthy. The bad thing is the price of good ginseng--over two hundred dollars a pound--though I pound will last me for several months. The other drawback is that I can't take it more than four hours before I go to sleep, or I don't sleep well.
Ginseng does help me both mentally and physically, though it won't work miracles. It's great for stress of any kind.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 4:55 pm

I was on Paxil for a while, and it definitely helped my anxiety (I pretty much didn't have any whatsoever lol). I got off of it because it had alot of side effects I didn't like though (I was basically always tired and sleeping like 12hr a night lol).

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 4:59 pm

Adamantus wrote:
Thanks for those comments. I've a friend who also takes Xanax and a lot of other people with Asperger's seem to think it helps. I just wonder how difficult it is to know when to take it as sometimes I'm going crazy but don't notice it until afterwards.

We're all different, but I'd really recommend trying Valium first. Xanax wired me; Valium doesn't do that.

What you are describing is alexythemia. I'll take a pill or two when I know I'm going to be in a crowd or social situation--especially when I am required to perform, as in a meeting. If I'm not around other people, I'm not as concerned. But, if I do find myself getting into a rage when I'm alone, I will take one.

One of the other commenters mentioned he couldn't get a doctor to prescribe diazapines to him. First, I will say there isn't a psychiatrist within 120 miles of me, which may be the reason my GP prescribes them for me. Before this town lost its only psychiatrist, she was prescribing them to me. Another factor is that I specifically told her I wanted to take them in a manner that avoided dependence or tolerance, which really impressed her.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2012, 10:40 pm

Paxil helped me for a bit, but it also made me have basically no emotions at all, which got boring. It also caused my hands to shake when I tried to do 'fine motor' stuff.. but only sometimes. Dunno why.

Klonopin made me feel like a zombie, even on ultra-low doses. I didn't like it.

Other anti-anxiety medications didn't really do anything.

Ultimately I've figured out ways to deal with my anxiety without pharmaceuticals, caffeine, sugar, etc. It's more difficult at first but once you figure it out you're good for free. Basically, I learned to be more confident and not worry as much. This involves doing things that I consider mistakes after I've done them. Make enough mistakes, and they just don't seem like a big deal anymore. Stuff happens.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 11:15 pm

I'm on Paxil and Resperidone for Depression and Anxiety.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 12:57 am

Avoid mirtazapine.

I cannot speak for other medications as I tend to have allergic reactions or be too over sensitive to them to tolerate them, but I know from years of taking mirtazapine that it sedates you to the point of being non functional, not to mention causing fatigue, weight gain and slowing your cognitive functioning down to the point where you end up with the IQ and memory capacity of a goldfish!