Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


User avatar

Joined: 2 Aug 2011
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 258

07 Jan 2012, 3:38 am

I discovered that I'm much more articulate at writing than speaking. In verbal communication it always seems to follow the same inexpedient process:

(1a) Unconsciously utter a generic response. (I've been using "Okey-dokey, doctor Jones" a lot recently.)
(1b) Or repeat last word(s) I heard (Like what people do when they don't know what is being talked about. In movies, at least.)
(2) Pause for several seconds to think and process what was said and generate an appropriate response. Usually with a silence filler like a long "Uhmmmmmmm..."
(3) Respond with with around 70% of the content you thought of, forgetting about the other 30% until later, when the conversation has been dropped.


User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,960
Location: Essex, UK

07 Jan 2012, 7:53 am

I find myself getting too tongue-tied - but that's because I try to say everything in one quick blurt before I get interrupted, rather than leaving 1 or 2 seconds in between every few sentences, taking more breaths, throwing a bit more tone into it (although I don't speak completely monotone), and looking more confident with myself.

Straight Female
From East UK (Essex)
Aged 28

On antidepressants (50mg Sertraline) ~ Helps control emotional outbursts but not general anxiety.