Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bdubs
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jan 2012, 1:31 pm

I try to live in the present, but I definitely have a lot of goals for the future. "The past is at my back" Ralph Waldo Emerson. I try not to forgot my past but I will not dwell on it.

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2012, 2:34 pm

fraac wrote:
Well, no, of course they aren't. But if they were some kind of emotionless robot, what kind of emotionless robot would they be? Just for funsies.

They would be the Fembots from Austin Powers :)

I think that it is human to thrive when there is vision for the future. Someone smart once told me about how many times, if a person retires from many years at their job, and they have no plan for what to do and enjoy in their retirement, they drop dead because they were so tied to their profession. I think that is possibly very true for some people, Aspie or NT.

I think the Aspie part of your needing to look forward to something is from anxiety and routine. Routines help me feel more comfortable and I like to know what to expect. Change is uncomfortable and sometimes anxiety provoking. With that said, it is nice to do something special once in a while even if it is something you would not want to do every single day. However, when the special event is too far away, for me it doesn't seem real so I don't have any feelings about it (or I vaguely dread it if it is something like staying with relatives away from home). But when it gets nearer, I am able to make the plans I need to make for the event to be successful, such as buy tickets, pack, or at least make a list of the things that need to happen for it to be a good event. I don't know about you, but I would much rather make plans to go to a movie with a friend for the weekend, than to just suddenly decide to go later today.

I hope my rambling somewhat answers your question.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 2:42 pm

fraac wrote:
Well, no, of course they aren't. But if they were some kind of emotionless robot, what kind of emotionless robot would they be? Just for funsies.

My husband is honestly like a Vulcan sometimes. He was raised in a family that did not show much emotion and never any negative emotion. Lucky me, I get to deal with that! It's like pulling teeth to get him to talk about how he feels. He just bottles it up until he explodes, or usually shows things in a passive aggressive way. I've learned tactics to deal with him, and they seem to be working.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 4:32 pm

OliveOilMom,
Thanks for your advice :D