Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 11:54 am

Anyone here ever read this book? It's been one to leave more of a lasting impression on me than most others. While the misconception that being autistic is the same as being mentally ret*d is offensive, I feel I can still relate a bit to the main character here. As I understand it, a few movie adaptions were made. I watched one, called "Charlie" rather than the original title, and while it wasn't bad, I felt it just didn't capture the general feeling of the book quite as I imagined it. I guess part of it has to do with the writing style and narrative.

So who all liked this book? Or anyone dislike it for any reason?

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 12:22 pm

I've read it, and enjoyed it a lot. I like the cover design too with the mouse in the maze circuit-board.

misteryb
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jan 2012, 12:28 pm

Is it a story of someone who is not clever who becomes clever via some experiment and then the cleverness fades? If it is I read it long ago. It's a good story.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2012, 12:34 pm

I've read the book, probably a few times, though not recently. The book was an obsession of mine for a time when I was a teenager. The movie was decent enough, but I was somewhat disappointed by all they left out from the original story.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2012, 4:22 pm

Boxman108 wrote:
Anyone here ever read this book? It's been one to leave more of a lasting impression on me than most others. While the misconception that being autistic is the same as being mentally ret*d is offensive, I feel I can still relate a bit to the main character here. As I understand it, a few movie adaptions were made. I watched one, called "Charlie" rather than the original title, and while it wasn't bad, I felt it just didn't capture the general feeling of the book quite as I imagined it. I guess part of it has to do with the writing style and narrative.

I actually had two different courses assign this book in high school back in the seventies. I'm a nonfiction reader personally, but it was good for a novel.

One of my employees is a retired English teacher. She says "Flowers" hasn't been on the approved reading lists for years, except for some special ed students. The reason is that a taboo has developed against discussing differences in intelligence.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 5:46 pm

Boxman108 wrote:

I didn't think anything much of it - it was ok. Can't really offer an opinion on it, but I suppose it's worth registering at least one count of disinterest. :)

The year is still young.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 9:10 pm

I loved this book. I read it a couple years back. I found it incredibly moving. I've never met anyone who liked it as much as I did. I think people think I'm odd when I bang on about it.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 9:41 pm

I've read it. It's been a few years, though, and my memory is terrible. As I recall, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Perhaps I should get myself a new copy and read it again. :chin:

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 12:19 am

I read an abridged version of it back in the eighth grade. I don't remember much of it besides the main premise, though.

Midori
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2012, 12:13 am

I remember this story. I found it very moving, and I misted up a bit when Charlie began to descend back down, and gradually lose all of the cognitive ability he had only just gained.

Does anyone recall whether that story touched on empathy? I seem to remember Charlie developing a harder personality when he became a genius.