Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Jan 2012, 12:22 pm

I'm unbelievably picky about food. I will gag and be physically unable to swallow some foods, if they smell or feel a certain way. I basically have eaten the exact same few varieties of food for all my adult life, and in fact, the same exact breakfast item-for-item 365 days/year. But I am a fitness nut and a bodybuilder, so part of my eating habits is geared toward huge protein calories and no fats, and a hefty amount of grain to process all that protein.

Breakfast (7:40AM daily) :
4 egg whites scrambled with Tabasco sauce and black pepper (NO salt)

1/2 cup of plain oat meal with 1/4 cup raw walnuts and a tablespoon of honey and a dump of cinnamon

1/2 cup sugar-free apple sauce

2 or 3 cups coffee

I'm not kidding: I have not deviated from that breakfast in years & years! If I can't have those things, I get all befuddled and wind up not eating, which is BAD for the body. So I carry the oat meal with me, and if we're staying in a motel on a vacation, I have a small portable microwave oven and am fully equipped to make at least the oat meal and apple sauce and coffee, if I can't have the egg whites. Then I will go to McDonald's and get 3 or 4 eggs on the side, which are good-tasting, but have salt and cholesterol in them (unlike the filtered egg whites).

As far as stuff I cannot tolerate; any leafy greens are gag material. I know that sounds really bad coming from an athlete, but it's a fact. I eat alternatives to leafy greens (bell peppers, etc), and take vitamins (not as good, I know, but will suffice). When I was little, I was forced to eat leafy greens, and it made me vomit and I'd often inhale the vomit, and got pneumonia from it at least 3 times. No laughing matter.

Charles

itsnot42itsas
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Jan 2012, 12:40 pm

I'm the pickiest eater I know, unlike my wife who eats almost anything. Texture is everything, far more important than taste. Generally, food doesn't interest me in the slightest, I eat because I must. The smell of certain cooked foods almost makes me retch.

For 50 years or more (before I considered AS) I had no idea that my pickiness was anything other than just being awkward, and my mother never feeding me anything other than potatoes as a child. That might still be the case, but now I'm thinking that the pickiness was actually an intolerance and that I actually wouldn't eat anything else.

My dietary problem is, along with social anxiety, the most severe "disablement" in my life and stops me from doing lots of things I'd like to do.

Like kx250rider, I've eaten the same breakfast (cereals) and lunch for as long as I can remember. Lunch comprises a few items always eaten in the same order.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 1:22 pm

kx250rider wrote:
I'm unbelievably picky about food. I will gag and be physically unable to swallow some foods, if they smell or feel a certain way.

I am the same way, always have been. I gag and have to spit things out.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 1:25 pm

Oddly, I can more or less eat anything. I sorta intentionally train myself to do so, I guess it could be a compensation of sorts. It's good, as I can eat with pretty much any culture or people around, it makes me sorta "worldly" in that regard.

That said, one food it'll take me being very hungry to eat is oddly, white rice. White rice smells like urine to me, especially minute rice, with cheddar cheese like my mother makes. Also, I don't like canned peas or corn.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 1:40 pm

(apologize for off topic)
[quote="Sibyl"]Frances? What _is_ the name of the song?
Baba O'Riley, by the Who.
Thank you.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 2:55 pm

I'm slowly learning to eat more foods. It's a long process, but it's happening. I used to be really picky and was known for not eating vegetables. I still don't like many vegetables, but now I know there are a few, like raw carrots, that actually suit me.

Farsight
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2012, 3:59 pm

Now this one is curious for me. I hated school food growing up and that might be the reason I am so thin. But I love good food. All kinds of food. If there is a fair or market where you can sample food. I must try it all. I cant resist treats.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 5:16 pm

Farsight wrote:
I hated school food growing up and that might be the reason I am so thin.

Me too. I didn't eat the food in school. I stayed very thin and people at school assumed I was anorexic. But I was just naturally thin. I didn't really start to put on weight, until I turned 25. I had a back injury around that time that made me less active. Before that I guess my restlessness is mostly what kept me from gaining weight.

I always ate a lot of the foods I like...stuff like pizza and fried chicken and bacon...still do. But now I sit around a lot more, and I don't burn it off like I used to.

PurpleOctober
Raven
Raven

08 Jan 2012, 5:54 pm

A story my mom used to tell about my pickiness was that when I was four, she gave me a strawberry and I instantly cried and told her to take the seeds out. Haha.

AQ Score: 42

Aspie Quiz: 178/200

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 8:23 am

My main food issues are textural, especially foods that are in between soft and firm. For example: bananas, mushrooms, mashed potatoes etc. I just can't eat them.

I also won't eat condiments of any kind except for salt, pepper and salsa.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 6:27 pm

I cant eat mushrooms or sour cream or broccoli also not a very big seafood eater-I just do not like the texture and if it is called sour cream-its sour cream that means its bad if it is sour

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2012, 6:32 pm

First of I be le vegetarian because, asides from making me way better that all you carnivore savages *raises wayfarers*, I really don't like the texture of meat, too stringy, chewy and greasy. I also avoid most mushrooms after I saw a microscope image of a micellium, mushrooms are gross. and I can't stand soup. Food should not be a liquid. Oh, and fuzzy foods too. Things I eat shouldn't be fuzzy, I agree with OP here I think,.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 8:39 pm

I'm not a very picky eater but there are a few food I can't stand.

1. Seafood-The smell grosses me out and makes me not want to eat it.

2. Eggs-The texture just bothers me for some reason.

3. Anything with fat/bones in it- I hate eating meat off of bones and fat is rubbery and gross.