Page 4 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

26 Apr 2012, 5:40 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:
It's weird, but the people who seem to like me are usually on the conservative side. I say weird, because I'm a democrat.

What do you think?

I'm the same way. So join the club. :wink:

All I can say is that liberal is not the same thing as tolerant. Many liberals are exceedingly intolerant of people who are socially inept. Liberalism is very much a social climbing strategy for young urbanites.

It seems like the conservatives are the tolerant ones, and the liberal ones are intolerant of anyone who disagrees with them.

That too. But I really do notice liberals have a particular contempt for social clumsiness....And some of them really dislike aspies for that precise reason.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:26 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:
It's weird, but the people who seem to like me are usually on the conservative side. I say weird, because I'm a democrat.

What do you think?

All I can say is that liberal is not the same thing as tolerant. Many liberals are exceedingly intolerant of people who are socially inept. Liberalism is very much a social climbing strategy for young urbanites.

Yeah, eh? I mean, you can suck management's backside, get a job on Wallstreet, or work for countless country club conservative financed institutes to get a lucrative, socially ladder climbing, lifestyle. Or you can satisfy the demand for "liberalism".

I'm pretty certain a lot of the interactions with socially climbing "liberals" people are whining about here are just interactions with socially liberal, fiscally conservative yuppies. I know various people on the left, indeed many people well to the left of me, including a professional activist who relies on their spouse's income for sustenance as well as people who work for left-leaning social advocacy organizations. None of them fit the picture painted in this post.

26 Apr 2012, 7:58 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:

What do you think?

Yeah, eh? I mean, you can suck management's backside, get a job on Wallstreet, or work for countless country club conservative financed institutes to get a lucrative, socially ladder climbing, lifestyle. Or you can satisfy the demand for "liberalism".

I'm pretty certain a lot of the interactions with socially climbing "liberals" people are whining about here are just interactions with socially liberal, fiscally conservative yuppies. I know various people on the left, indeed many people well to the left of me, including a professional activist who relies on their spouse's income for sustenance as well as people who work for left-leaning social advocacy organizations. None of them fit the picture painted in this post.

Actually, most of the people I'm talking about are anything but yuppies! Quite a few of em are hipsters, politicos, greens, artistes, self-professing generic non-conformists, and those social "activist" types you speak of. They favor social welfare oriented economic policies while staunchly promoting the sexual free market(AKA "free love" or "sex positivism").

CoMF
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2012, 8:18 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
I know various people on the left, indeed many people well to the left of me, including a professional activist who relies on their spouse's income for sustenance as well as people who work for left-leaning social advocacy organizations. None of them fit the picture painted in this post.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 8:37 pm

Most people of any political ideology make me retch. I don't see why you'd even *want* these people to like you, at least only on the basis of similar political beliefs. I mean, abstractly I understand the desire to fit in and have a social community, but seriously, most people are just mind-numbingly bad in their formulation of their political ideals. I mean, I don't want to be liked by the stupid conservatives, the stupid libertarians, or the stupid liberals, and that's going to comprise the majority of nearly any political ideology.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 9:34 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Is Peter going to stand by and watch Paul die?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Long before there was Medicare there were reasonably priced medical insurance plans and pro bono clinics for the poor and working poor. Then the government took it all over. Now the only way to save poor Paul's life is through theft.

When I was a kid there were clinics for poor folks and working poor who only had to pay a fraction of the cost of treatment.

What happened to them?

I will tell you what. It is your f**king government that ruined a system that worked.

ruveyn

But who's to say those clinics and cheapy policies would still exist? And did they cover as many people as government programs do?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Rainy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2012, 4:11 am

Long ago, clinics didn't do a good job of saving lives.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 4:19 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Most people of any political ideology make me retch. I don't see why you'd even *want* these people to like you, at least only on the basis of similar political beliefs. I mean, abstractly I understand the desire to fit in and have a social community, but seriously, most people are just mind-numbingly bad in their formulation of their political ideals. I mean, I don't want to be liked by the stupid conservatives, the stupid libertarians, or the stupid liberals, and that's going to comprise the majority of nearly any political ideology.

I know I'd much rather have the slings and arrows of the ideologues than their praise, I get nervous when people I know to be intellectually straight-jacketed start agreeing with me.

As to the OP's problem, I don't think anyone likes liberals, even other liberals... :lol:

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 1:23 pm

Well I don't necessarily get along with all leftish-leaning people. I'm mainly thinking of the stereotypical artsy/bohemian hippy types. I have nothing against them personally, but I couldn't really live with one. I just can't deal with their messiness, clutter, and noise. I need a clean and peaceful space to retreat to.

I notice on those personality tests liberals supposedly score higher on "openness" while conservatives score higher on "conscientiousness". I score very high on both categories.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 1:38 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:

I know I'd much rather have the slings and arrows of the ideologues than their praise, I get nervous when people I know to be intellectually straight-jacketed start agreeing with me.

As to the OP's problem, I don't think anyone likes liberals, even other liberals... :lol:

I've long ago given up trying to disavow myself of ideological labels. If people want to label me I have no choice but to be a stinking "liberal". However, just because I arrived at many of the same conclusions as a certain politically identified group doesn't mean my opinions were not arrived at through independent thought.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 1:49 pm

marshall wrote:
Well I don't necessarily get along with all leftish-leaning people. I'm mainly thinking of the stereotypical artsy/bohemian hippy types. I have nothing against them personally, but I couldn't really live with one. I just can't deal with their messiness, clutter, and noise. I need a clean and peaceful space to retreat to.

I notice on those personality tests liberals supposedly score higher on "openness" while conservatives score higher on "conscientiousness". I score very high on both categories.

How do you get along with union workers?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 1:57 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
It seems like the conservatives are the tolerant ones, and the liberal ones are intolerant of anyone who disagrees with them.

:lol:
Tolerance does not mean "no disagreement", it just means willingness to put up with things one does not approve of without bigotry- which is the exact opposite of what you say

CoMF
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2012, 2:17 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:

How do you get along with Black Bloc-ers?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 2:25 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
marshall wrote:

You mean gruff, uncultured, beer guzzling, knuckle dragging proles (as Ruveyn would say). :P J/K.

CoMF
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2012, 2:43 pm

marshall wrote:
You mean gruff, uncultured, beer guzzling, knuckle dragging proles (as Ruveyn would say). :P J/K.

Groan...

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 2:52 pm

The far left and I don't usually get along. The world is violent and I approve of proportionate violence in return. But the far right is made up of no thought trogs. I'm embarrassed for them and just try to bite my tongue. They don't really rate the time it takes to engage them.