Do you think aspergers Is a gift or a curse?

Page 4 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 4:32 pm

It is neither. It just is.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 4:35 pm

Aspergers just is - like black skin, blue eyes and big feet.

Life is the gift; ignorance is the curse.

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2012, 4:38 pm

It depends on the day and how well I'm coping.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 5:27 pm

It's a curse....

...because my special interests are based around certain people and all I want to do is be like them but know that will never happen
...because I appear odd in some sort of way to most people, and because I know that now, I've become even more shy and socially phobic
...because I am frightened of getting a job because I can't cope with change, pressure and people
...because I lack self-esteem, and hate myself because I know I'm odd and also a nuisence
...because all my cousins are NTs and are out partying at the week-ends and I'm the only one who don't because of my lack of social skills, but at the same time I do want to be out
...because I can't deal with things the ''right'' way
...because I can't get along with NTs in my peers while everyone else around me can
...because I get too involved with men then end up getting either myself or them into trouble and then making a nuisence of myself
...because I express my emotions too vividly
...because I have unpredictable outbursts that build up every 4 or 5 months, involving swearing, screaming, hitting myself, insulting myself, and threatening to commit suicide and frightening my family
...because I am too self-aware for my own good and is causes great anxiety and social phobia and depression
...because I get so distracted to every noise when I'm in my room
...because my nerves are so bad that I have to avoid things that are likely to make a loud noise, eg dogs, toddlers, sirens, my brother
...because I make other people tread on eggshells around me all the time, being careful not to break any of my ''rules'' that are centered around my sensory issues
...because I can't do anything with my life without being a target for bullies
...because I can't go out anywhere without giving off ''hi I'm a mug'' vibes
...because I can't have many social skills that come natural to me
...because I come across as mentally unstable to other people
...because I make a fool of myself on facebook
...because I don't know anything
...because I do funny movements like point at someone and laugh when they're talking to me, which freaks them out
...because I always manage to say something weird or irrelevant
...because I can't go out without people staring at me, even though I know I look normal and wear things that make me blend in and do things that don't make me stand out
...because I spent most of my childhood whining and screaming and bawling when other children came to my house, instead of just enjoying my only childhood I would ever get
...because I am my own worst enemy

It's a gift because:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........................

Even if there were any good points, all of that above would overtake the good points and make any good points become invisible.

Last edited by Joe90 on 27 Feb 2012, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2012, 5:35 pm

Yea, I think the minuses outweigh the pluses by so much, the pluses aren't worth mentioning if they can even be thought of.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 5:38 pm

eigerpereis right. If someone read through all of the points on my previous post, it would be bloody hard to turn them into good points that I could embrace.

Taybot97
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2012, 10:49 pm

It's a gift only to ourselves. It's a curse when interacting with almost anybody

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 3:13 am

Joe90 wrote:
It's a curse....

...because my special interests are based around certain people and all I want to do is be like them but know that will never happen
...because I appear odd in some sort of way to most people, and because I know that now, I've become even more shy and socially phobic
...because I am frightened of getting a job because I can't cope with change, pressure and people
...because I lack self-esteem, and hate myself because I know I'm odd and also a nuisence
...because all my cousins are NTs and are out partying at the week-ends and I'm the only one who don't because of my lack of social skills, but at the same time I do want to be out
...because I can't deal with things the ''right'' way
...because I can't get along with NTs in my peers while everyone else around me can
...because I get too involved with men then end up getting either myself or them into trouble and then making a nuisence of myself
...because I express my emotions too vividly
...because I have unpredictable outbursts that build up every 4 or 5 months, involving swearing, screaming, hitting myself, insulting myself, and threatening to commit suicide and frightening my family
...because I am too self-aware for my own good and is causes great anxiety and social phobia and depression
...because I get so distracted to every noise when I'm in my room
...because my nerves are so bad that I have to avoid things that are likely to make a loud noise, eg dogs, toddlers, sirens, my brother
...because I make other people tread on eggshells around me all the time, being careful not to break any of my ''rules'' that are centered around my sensory issues
...because I can't do anything with my life without being a target for bullies
...because I can't go out anywhere without giving off ''hi I'm a mug'' vibes
...because I can't have many social skills that come natural to me
...because I come across as mentally unstable to other people
...because I make a fool of myself on facebook
...because I don't know anything
...because I do funny movements like point at someone and laugh when they're talking to me, which freaks them out
...because I always manage to say something weird or irrelevant
...because I can't go out without people staring at me, even though I know I look normal and wear things that make me blend in and do things that don't make me stand out
...because I spent most of my childhood whining and screaming and bawling when other children came to my house, instead of just enjoying my only childhood I would ever get
...because I am my own worst enemy

It's a gift because:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........................

Even if there were any good points, all of that above would overtake the good points and make any good points become invisible.

Like you, I'm in the minority among high-functioning autistics these days who are unconvinced that autism brings 'gifts' with it.
But you are beating yourself up over things you aren't proficient in, when you probably have so much else going for you. You mentioned a talent for the piano before.

There is no shame in wanting to be 'normal', and I can imagine how it hurts when you can't go to clubs, bars and such, like your cousins, because of all the sensory overload. But what if you find a compromise instead? Something that incorporates some of the elements present in those full-blown social events like clubbing, drinking, and dancing, but isn't as taxing? It's like going to a restaurant with all your friends, and everyone is enjoying shrimp, while you are allergic. Plenty of people who aren't autistic avoid clubs and bars, although the reasons here are not comparable.
Though judging from the list, I never experienced sensory overload as intensely as you do, there still is sensory overload, and awkwardness in social situations. But I've made progress since moving from the village I grew up in, to the crowded city. I'm not a social butterfly by any stretch of the imagination, but I get by. Even if it is as "that weird, quiet guy who prefers to sit by himself". I view autism as a disorder, but I love myself, not in spite or because of it, but simply "with" it. It's one of the cards I've been dealt, so now that I'm mature, I want to be the one who decides how to play with it.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 5:00 am

Curse.

How could something that has a negative and disabling impact on every single day be anything else?

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 5:11 am

nemorosa wrote:
Curse.

How could something that has a negative and disabling impact on every single day be anything else?

^^ This.

It could be less of a curse and a little more of a gift if society would treat us differently. I'd love to live in a world where people are assigned to whatever work they happen to be best at, where everyone's strengths are cultivated and weaknesses are respected and tolerated. But in a world where people are left to fend for themselves, forced to compete with others, and expected to excel in social environments, it is nothing but a curse.

Hexagon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2012, 8:05 am

Its a gift in Maths class. Its a curse in psychology.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 10:18 am

I find people like my wit and slightly surreal humour, I find most people and their egos annoying.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 3:42 pm

Even if I was good at maths I wouldn't say it's a gift of my AS because who's to say all NTs are bad at maths? If I was NT I would most probably be better at maths than what I am.

Rainmanonrockwiz
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2012, 9:26 pm

I think it's a curse. Everyone thinks that people with asperger's have this incredible gift that will bring them fortune. In my case, as I have difficulties with socailising, living a normal life with a Job and meeting others has been very difficult.

Taybot97
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Feb 2012, 9:42 pm

Today I realized its more of a curse than a gift. And benefits don't matter compared to how socially stupid I am. Today a girl purposely walked into me and blocked my path, after exchanging about 2 sentences I walke away. My friend about a minute later said "she wanted to talk to you you know?". Note this is the same girl who a few weeks ago put her arm put to hug me and I shook her hand. I don't pick up on those non-verbal things. I asked out a girl because a friend knew I liked her and wouldn't shut up. Now when I'm with her I constantly think "do I hold her hand" "does she want me to kiss/hug her" "what do I say now" "I like her eyes do I say that" and when not with her "I want to talk to her what do I say (text)" "is hi good enough" "____ just happene should I say it" "I want to see her, how do I ask". And with normal friends or people in general the list is much larger including "I know him do I say hi" "do I smile now" "why is he/she looking at me" "they said hi what do I do now" I'm sure some NTs have this thoughts but not all or nearly as bad.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Feb 2012, 10:22 pm

Although I admit to having challenges (who doesn't) I regard Asperger's in my life as a gift. My musical ability came from it, and my special intense interests came from it. Asperger's allows me to often remember statistics related to my interests.