Do you think aspergers Is a gift or a curse?

Page 1 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

NaomiDB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2012, 3:06 pm

I hate people acting like aspergers is a wonderful gift and the only problem is other peoples reactions.
It makes life difficult, It would make life difficult even if everyone else was wonderfully accepting and bent over backwards to help.
we are thrown in to this harsh intense world we feel we don't belong to and have a really hard time getting whats inside us out, finding a way to communicate, a lot of us will never be able to be independent, and know what we want but have no way of getting it.
I don't think Its a curse, but it isn't a gift either, it doesn't make me better than nts like a lot of people seem to believe.
I'm sorry if this sounds ranty or opinionated, it will probably get some negative replies. It's just that everyone seems intent on focusing only on the positives, when negatives do exist.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 3:22 pm

It's a gift when I'm troubleshooting a customer's system and getting them back on line in record time.
It's a curse when I'm trying to explain to the customer for the nth time their need to back up their line power with a UPS.

It's a gift when I'm allocating point values from my Weight Watchers planner to determine the weekly menu.
It's a curse when I'm trying to convince my family that what I'm cooking is actually healthier than what they're used to.

It's a gift when writing a 12-page paper describing the merits of our latest upgrade.
It's a curse when I have to give an oral presentation from the same paper.

It's a gift when coding software that actually does something.
It's a curse when dealing with demands for a more "User-Friendly" interface from several different sources.

NaomiDB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2012, 3:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
It's a gift when I'm troubleshooting a customer's system and getting them back on line in record time.
It's a curse when I'm trying to explain to the customer for the nth time their need to back up their line power with a UPS.

It's a gift when I'm allocating point values from my Weight Watchers planner to determine the weekly menu.
It's a curse when I'm trying to convince my family that what I'm cooking is actually healthier than what they're used to.

It's a gift when writing a 12-page paper describing the merits of our latest upgrade.

It's a curse when dealing with demands for a more "User-Friendly" interface from several different sources.

so other people are the problem.
It's not like that for everyone :/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 3:32 pm

That's pretty much it - I have no problem dealing with AS/ASD, only with people who won't listen, who can't understand, and who seem incapable of thinking for themselves. Here's more...

It's a blessing when relating emotional issues in a matter-of-fact manner.
It's a curse when doing so results in being accused of lacking compassion.

It's a blessing when playing an MMORPG with a raid group, and reacting tactically to new mobs.
It's a curse when blame gets assigned for failure to achieve the goal (the quiet one always gets the blame).

It's a blessing when winning yet another game of poker, Trivial Pursuit or chess.
It's a curse when trying to explain my winning strategy without coming across like an arrogant bully.

It's a blessing when researching a medical diagnosis or prescription.
It's a curse when you understand what all of those medical terms mean.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 3:42 pm

I don't think it's either. I think that it's just a different way of being and there's nothing wrong with being different.

aspie_giraffe
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jan 2012, 3:43 pm

My theory is I get to have a brilliant mind but i have to pay in the form of anxiety and gi tract issues and social awkwardness cause nothing is free in life

NaomiDB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2012, 3:48 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't think it's either. I think that it's just a different way of being and there's nothing wrong with being different.

totally agree

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 3:49 pm

Any gift is a curse if not used properly.

NaomiDB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2012, 3:50 pm

I agree with you too aspie giraffe

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2012, 3:50 pm

Fnord wrote:

I think that is very well written, and I agree with you!

Last edited by psychegots on 09 Jan 2012, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 3:51 pm

It will be what you treat it as.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Dan2234
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2012, 4:27 pm

its a gift when i'm writing stories and telling people about what is wrong with there TV or PC

Its a curse when i'm blamed for something that isn't my fault

Kalika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2012, 4:29 pm

This is kind of how I tend to view Asperger's.........I can't recall specific titles/names offhand, but if you've ever read a fairy tale where there's a jar of ointment which the main character is NOT supposed to put on their eyes, they do so anyhow, and are able to see "Fairyland". (for me, Asperger's is a lot like that jar of ointment)

NaomiDB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2012, 4:48 pm

Ganondox wrote:
It will be what you treat it as.

I don't think it will be.
there will still be a lot of things I will never be able to do even if I pretend Its a lovely gift that makes me so much more special than everyone else.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 4:54 pm

It's a curse because of all the social double standards. ''It's socially acceptable if an NT does it but of an Aspie does it it's socially wrong''. It's really difficult living in a world where you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 5:01 pm

Both. Why does anything ever have to be either/or?