I think something is making my Autism worse.

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,326
Location: Sydney, Australia

12 Jan 2012, 6:19 am

Tuttle wrote:
pensieve wrote:
It's either burn out or seizures.


It also could be a form of atypical migraine, such a silent migraines, but that's probably less likely. Something like these in me would likely be migraine related though.

Really, it sounds like you should see a neurologist and have them look into this more. I don't know what to say, because I'm used to having an overly aggressive doctor, but it sounds like something is different in your brain and they'll want to figure out what.

Migraines and seizures are closely connected. One, they're both neurological. Migraines seem to last longer and seizures a matter of minutes. And the most severe ones last up to an hour. I may get a migraine following a seizure. I get both gastro symptoms, the same aura, tingling, hallucinations (more seizure related), and even partial paralysis.
Migraines seem to be worse because they can last up to 48 hours.

jackmt wrote:
We are in a full moon phase in the winter. I have Seasonal Affective Disorder, which makes my normal depression worse. I take Celexa for it and get as much full daylight as I can. The full moon and new moon give me headaches, irritability, difficulty hearing and sleeping. I know, I'm a lunatic, literally. But hair does not grow between my knuckles. Notice these kinds of things as well.

I just get irritable. PMS related. Well, PMDD. So I turn into a werewolf without growing any hair.


_________________
My band photography blog - http://lostthroughthelens.wordpress.com/
My personal blog - http://helptheywantmetosocialise.wordpress.com/


Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,172
Location: Massachusetts

12 Jan 2012, 12:45 pm

pensieve wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
pensieve wrote:
It's either burn out or seizures.


It also could be a form of atypical migraine, such a silent migraines, but that's probably less likely. Something like these in me would likely be migraine related though.

Really, it sounds like you should see a neurologist and have them look into this more. I don't know what to say, because I'm used to having an overly aggressive doctor, but it sounds like something is different in your brain and they'll want to figure out what.

Migraines and seizures are closely connected. One, they're both neurological. Migraines seem to last longer and seizures a matter of minutes. And the most severe ones last up to an hour. I may get a migraine following a seizure. I get both gastro symptoms, the same aura, tingling, hallucinations (more seizure related), and even partial paralysis.
Migraines seem to be worse because they can last up to 48 hours.


Yeah, I was thinking migraines because of them being seizure-like and lasting longer. Most people associate migraines only with the pain of the headache it seems, but a good 30% of people with migraines get auras, and there are "silent migraines", types that don't involve pain, but do involve the aura. I've been going through brain imaging studies lately to make sure I only am having atypical migraines on to of my migraines with aura. Its interesting that I seem to be having different types of migraines with different auras, this is why its been being looked into so much (I got my first visual aura on Christmas, having had migraines since I was 7).

A lot of people who get migraines also get seizures, and a lot of people who get seizures also get migraines. they even sometimes use anti-seizure medications for people with migraines who don't get seizures and they drastically help control the migraines in some cases.

So I was thinking seizure like symptoms, but lasting longer than 5-10 minutes, sounds like doctors should look into atypical migraines.

(OP, to give you an idea of my atypical migraines, I suddenly get a visual aura, my vision is blurry, I have a hugely difficult time concentrating on anything or being able to make sense of anything, I'm even more clumsier than usual, sometimes physically shaking a bit, but definitely feeling unsteady on my feet, I have a hard time stringing words together, in a completely different level of difficulty speaking than I normally do (usually I either have difficulty saying anything or coming up with things to say, in these, I can know what to say and it takes similar effort to writing a well written paragraph or short essay to get "Can you go get me some juice" to come out in a coherent manner), I get something between no and moderate head pain in these ones, starting after the other symptoms start (the silent ones, not the typical ones), those are the major parts)

Also, around puberty is one of the standard times that migraines start occurring in people.



TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,039

12 Jan 2012, 8:19 pm

How you holding up, Kid ?

TheSunAlsoRises



pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,326
Location: Sydney, Australia

12 Jan 2012, 11:18 pm

Tuttle wrote:
pensieve wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
pensieve wrote:
It's either burn out or seizures.


It also could be a form of atypical migraine, such a silent migraines, but that's probably less likely. Something like these in me would likely be migraine related though.

Really, it sounds like you should see a neurologist and have them look into this more. I don't know what to say, because I'm used to having an overly aggressive doctor, but it sounds like something is different in your brain and they'll want to figure out what.

Migraines and seizures are closely connected. One, they're both neurological. Migraines seem to last longer and seizures a matter of minutes. And the most severe ones last up to an hour. I may get a migraine following a seizure. I get both gastro symptoms, the same aura, tingling, hallucinations (more seizure related), and even partial paralysis.
Migraines seem to be worse because they can last up to 48 hours.


Yeah, I was thinking migraines because of them being seizure-like and lasting longer. Most people associate migraines only with the pain of the headache it seems, but a good 30% of people with migraines get auras, and there are "silent migraines", types that don't involve pain, but do involve the aura. I've been going through brain imaging studies lately to make sure I only am having atypical migraines on to of my migraines with aura. Its interesting that I seem to be having different types of migraines with different auras, this is why its been being looked into so much (I got my first visual aura on Christmas, having had migraines since I was 7).

A lot of people who get migraines also get seizures, and a lot of people who get seizures also get migraines. they even sometimes use anti-seizure medications for people with migraines who don't get seizures and they drastically help control the migraines in some cases.

So I was thinking seizure like symptoms, but lasting longer than 5-10 minutes, sounds like doctors should look into atypical migraines.

(OP, to give you an idea of my atypical migraines, I suddenly get a visual aura, my vision is blurry, I have a hugely difficult time concentrating on anything or being able to make sense of anything, I'm even more clumsier than usual, sometimes physically shaking a bit, but definitely feeling unsteady on my feet, I have a hard time stringing words together, in a completely different level of difficulty speaking than I normally do (usually I either have difficulty saying anything or coming up with things to say, in these, I can know what to say and it takes similar effort to writing a well written paragraph or short essay to get "Can you go get me some juice" to come out in a coherent manner), I get something between no and moderate head pain in these ones, starting after the other symptoms start (the silent ones, not the typical ones), those are the major parts)

Also, around puberty is one of the standard times that migraines start occurring in people.


There's also Todd's paralysis, the fatigue following a seizure. When I wake up I still feel like I'm recovering from it. This morning my foot felt so heavy I could have put it through the floor. And it can affect cognitive functioning. I hate it because if I want to work on some creative writing I can't and there's not a whole lot else you can do when you're fatigued. The last thing I want to do or can do is talk to people.
So, I'm thinking either overload from heightened sensory issues or the fatigue from Todd's paralysis following a nocturnal seizure.

My activity is high today and writing is just becoming so hard.


_________________
My band photography blog - http://lostthroughthelens.wordpress.com/
My personal blog - http://helptheywantmetosocialise.wordpress.com/


kcal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jan 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 62

13 Jan 2012, 8:46 am

they can do an overnight sleep study with you hooked up to an EEG all night... at least, I know they do this for kids... if your hospital does not do this, maybe look for a big university hospital where they have a big epilepsy center



theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Posts: 384
Location: The Cosmos

13 Jan 2012, 6:46 pm

kcal wrote:
they can do an overnight sleep study with you hooked up to an EEG all night... at least, I know they do this for kids... if your hospital does not do this, maybe look for a big university hospital where they have a big epilepsy center

They did but they didn't find anything. Of course, for some reason I don't have seizures in hospitals often. It's like my brain suddenly gets better IN FRONT of a doctor. Like I said before, I had a seizure once in the parking lot after going to the hospital for another seizure and had no seizure in the hospital.


_________________
Empathy Quotient Test Score: 63
Hmmm...interesting. Shows what you know about Aspies, doesn't it rofl?

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"