Groups of friends you know people look down on?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 5:22 am

Ok so the majority of people I consider friends identify with the Juggalo sub-culture.....but most people hate that sub-culture. Thing is I don't really get it I mean hanging around them it seems the main thing they are about is being there for each other. Sure the clothing style is a bit weird and the music pretty controversial but I just don't have it in me to hate them.

Now there are some individuals that like to give the whole thing a bad name, but that's how it goes with any sub-culture as a rule though the extremes do not represent the whole of the sub-culture. Not to mention any of my friends and family that have actually been exposed to the actual juggalos I've hung out with don't seem to mind them. It seems to be that the media and those few indivudals give it a bad name and for whatever reason even normally open minded people buy it.

So yeah I don't know that any of you here know anything about that sub-culture, or what you even think of it but I guess it just gets frusterating knowing you're hanging out with people who care about you and that you can relate to while knowing most of society thinks they're all trash. I just don't see it I mean I don't even consider myself part of that sub-culture since I'm more of a metalhead and they accept that.

Not trying to whine or be dramatic but this is something thats been on my mind.

NathanealWest
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2012, 5:51 am

Something has gotta hit the middle class for it to be cool.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 6:08 am

NathanealWest wrote:
Something has gotta hit the middle class for it to be cool.

uhh for whatever reason I don't quite get what you mean....if you mean people look down on it because a lot of people in that sub-culture are below middle class then I am already aware of that. But I was more or less wondering if anyone here has dealt with having friends society looks down on.

NathanealWest
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2012, 8:14 am

Why are you worried about it?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 8:19 am

NathanealWest wrote:
Why are you worried about it?

Various reasons, not sure specifically why.........I just thought if anyone else in this situation had any advice on how they deal with it or whatever it could be helpful. I mean I am not really worried about it right now, it just gets to me sometimes and kinda bothers me I guess.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 10:35 am

Me and my friends are looked down on. Period. Most of us are die-hard metalheads (no Juggalos among us, but plenty of Maggots), and most of us are, by outsiders, considered "Goth." We're actually some of the best people you'll ever meet, because we don't judge by what is outside; we let others do that. At the college I'm going to (little-ish community college), a lot of people bring their kids into the school if they're little and its just for an hour or so between classes; most of the parents who don't know our little group well will actually steer their kid away from us if they are near by. Sure, one of my friends looks a little scary (her usual look is Tripp pants with a half dozen chains hanging off them, combat boots and a band t-shirt, usually Disturbed or A7X, with a long sleeved black fishnet shirt under it), but she is really the most amazing girl you will ever meet!

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 2:21 pm

As I remember, this sort of thing happened quite a bit. There was a certain way to be in the "in-crowd." Folks who were "out" got their friends ragged on a bit too. All kinds of things could do it.

Maybe my upbringing made the bad behavior into background noise, I'm not really sure.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 5:20 pm

Well when I was in highschool I hated them just as much as everyone else because I was just basing it on what everyone said. Then my second year of college shortly before I unofficially pretty much dropped out. I started hanging out with people who where juggalos, and there where some other people at the college who where also cool with them but did not consider themselves part of that group. Then I realised they are not nearly as bad as the media and apparently government seems to think I mean they are really no different then any other subculture.......most people in it are decent and then there's a few extremist types that give a subculture a bad name more or less.

But yeah as of now some of my friends happen to be in that sub-culture and its weird knowing that if a lot of my family members where aware of that I am quite sure they would dissapprove and its just kinda saddening I guess. I mean my cousins boyfriend was not even invited to thanksgiving dinner because he looks like he's in a death metal band which he is...of course no one says thats why but my cousin knows, I know and he probably even knows that was why.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 5:25 pm

musicislife wrote:
Me and my friends are looked down on. Period. Most of us are die-hard metalheads (no Juggalos among us, but plenty of Maggots), and most of us are, by outsiders, considered "Goth." We're actually some of the best people you'll ever meet, because we don't judge by what is outside; we let others do that. At the college I'm going to (little-ish community college), a lot of people bring their kids into the school if they're little and its just for an hour or so between classes; most of the parents who don't know our little group well will actually steer their kid away from us if they are near by. Sure, one of my friends looks a little scary (her usual look is Tripp pants with a half dozen chains hanging off them, combat boots and a band t-shirt, usually Disturbed or A7X, with a long sleeved black fishnet shirt under it), but she is really the most amazing girl you will ever meet!

Well I hang out at one of my friends houses quite a bit and mostly everyone who hangs out there are juggalos, my friends mom when she visits and parents of some of the younger people that hang out here sometimes. But yeah as far as I can tell I am the only metalhead around here but that's alright I tolerate their music and they tolerate my metal and it works out.

Embroglio
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2012, 6:01 pm

The main reason why Juggalo's get looked down upon is because a majority of them seem to be uneducated white trash. I'm not saying they all are, but in my area they tend to be. The fact that ICP is largely seen as a joke to a lot of people doesn't help either. With their infomercials that look like they were edited using iMovie, and songs like "Miracles" really causes them to loose mine, and many others respect.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 6:05 pm

At first I thought, "Isn't a Juggalo a male prostitute?" but then I Googled it and good old Urban Dictionary proved me wrong:

Huh.

Anyway, anyone out of the norm gets looked down on, there's no reason to care.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 7:48 pm

That happened to me sometimes. Back when I had friends.

I had a temporary government job once. Had to make myself look and act responsible. Cut my hair, took out my piercings every morning, dressed respectably and covered up my tattoos.

Then one day, as I'm walking out of our offices with my supervisor, one of my punk friends comes strolling up, pierced with purple hair and raggedy clothes and chains hanging off him and everything, and calls out "Hey! Mds_02! How the f**k are you, you f*****g as*hole?"

I'll present myself however I have to if I feel a need to impress someone. But what I won't do is shun a friend.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 7:56 pm

Embroglio wrote:
The main reason why Juggalo's get looked down upon is because a majority of them seem to be uneducated white trash. I'm not saying they all are, but in my area they tend to be. The fact that ICP is largely seen as a joke to a lot of people doesn't help either. With their infomercials that look like they were edited using iMovie, and songs like "Miracles" really causes them to loose mine, and many others respect.

Yes I am well aware of the negative stereotypes, but the whole group is not represented by the ones that give it a bad name. Also it is kind of a joke I mean yeah its a real sub-culture but its not meant to be taken as seriously as some people take it, its difficult to explain especially to anyone not familier with there sub-culture. The real ones don't really care if you don't like the music and clothing styles just so long as you don't go out of your way to insult them.....but there's a lot of posers who give it a bad name by making asses of themselves and blaming the juggalo sub-culture.

Every sub-culture seems to have that problem actually. As for the infomercials I am not familier with that but I doubt it was meant to be taken seriously.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 7:57 pm

mds_02 wrote:
That happened to me sometimes. Back when I had friends.

I had a temporary government job once. Had to make myself look and act responsible. Cut my hair, took out my piercings every morning, dressed respectably and covered up my tattoos.

Then one day, as I'm walking out of our offices with my supervisor, one of my punk friends comes strolling up, pierced with purple hair and raggedy clothes and chains hanging off him and everything, and calls out "Hey! Mds_02! How the f**k are you, you f***ing as*hole?"

I'll present myself however I have to if I feel a need to impress someone. But what I won't do is shun a friend.

Makes sense to me.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 8:03 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Embroglio wrote:

Yes I am well aware of the negative stereotypes, but the whole group is not represented by the ones that give it a bad name. Also it is kind of a joke I mean yeah its a real sub-culture but its not meant to be taken as seriously as some people take it, its difficult to explain especially to anyone not familier with there sub-culture. The real ones don't really care if you don't like the music and clothing styles just so long as you don't go out of your way to insult them.....but there's a lot of posers who give it a bad name by making asses of themselves and blaming the juggalo sub-culture.

Every sub-culture seems to have that problem actually. As for the infomercials I am not familier with that but I doubt it was meant to be taken seriously.

I'm with you there. Just like in every group, it's the complete morons that are most visible from the outside.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 1:10 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
At first I thought, "Isn't a Juggalo a male prostitute?" but then I Googled it and good old Urban Dictionary proved me wrong:

Huh.

Anyway, anyone out of the norm gets looked down on, there's no reason to care.

Well damn someone must have had a lot of time on their hands, in my opinion though this ICP group is better then just about all the rap that makes it onto MTV and the radio at least its tolerable. It is horribly offensive and obnoxious though but that is kinda the point to some extent......kinda like good old 80's Hair Metal like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9AbeALNVkk[/youtube]

But yeah its true if you're not the norm the norm will look down on you.....it just gets irritating sometimes, but its part of life.