Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

GeorgeMac
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jan 2012, 5:36 pm

My wife and I are both on the spectrum. We get along pretty well with each other, but our social life outside of that is... disappointing.

Every so often we manage to find a person or couple to pal around with for a little while, then one day they're too busy to have anything to do with us ever again.

It doesn't help that we burn out on socializing fairly easily.... hard to keep a connection going that way.

It also doesn't help that sometimes one of us makes a friend, and the other can't stand that person for one reason or another. (Usually, though, that reaction turns out to be justified in hindsight...)

We should count our blessings that we have each other... but it's still a bummer.

Moseley
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jan 2012, 8:01 pm

But why do you need other friends if you have your wife?

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 8:29 pm

You should be glad that you have each other. I think that's a very good thing for both of you. Perhaps you might consider looking for social situations that are relatively undemanding, as in clubs or other organizations where you might be able to engage in limited social activities, say only on a monthly basis. I have a few friends (OK only two, well maybe five at most), but those relationships are relatively loose, in that we only get together every month or two.

BTW, one of my main semi-social activities is amateur radio. There I can do as much, or as little, as I wish.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

AgnosticPhilosopher
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jan 2012, 12:44 am

I have 1 friend other than that I have some people that I talk to at work but that is enough for me.
One recommendation I can make is, if you have special interests, try and find someone that is also interested in that.
I wouldn't have made my 1 friend if he hadn't been Agnostic and interested in Psychiatric Disorders.