Page 1 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Embroglio
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2012, 6:42 pm

Even though having Asperger's is supposed to mean that you're good at math, I'm not. I tried to take calculus last year, and I tried. But I couldn't even get 1 problem right in the homework assignments. To me calculus was like trying to read Chinese it made no sense. It was so bad to the point where I changed my major to Liberal Arts, just to avoid it. I've never been good at math and the more it got away from basic stuff the more I struggle with it. I went from getting B's in math in 7th grade, to struggling to get C's in math with lots of help from the school's math tutor my senior year of high school. I'm sure there's other people on here who've struggled a lot with math.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2012, 6:49 pm

Embroglio wrote:
Even though having Asperger's is supposed to mean that you're good at math, I'm not. I tried to take calculus last year, and I tried. But I couldn't even get 1 problem right in the homework assignments. To me calculus was like trying to read Chinese it made no sense. It was so bad to the point where I changed my major to Liberal Arts, just to avoid it. I've never been good at math and the more it got away from basic stuff the more I struggle with it. I went from getting B's in math in 7th grade, to struggling to get C's in math with lots of help from the school's math tutor my senior year of high school. I'm sure there's other people on here who've struggled a lot with math.

This describes me too. I started out as a chemistry major who couldn't do math to save his life, then put myself through college doing land surveying, which is loaded with trigonometry. No matter how much math I did, I never did get good at it. So, I changed my major to philosophy and became a librarian--something I'm very good at.

I'm happy being a conceptual thinker.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 7:00 pm

Sometimes I toy with the idea of going to college. Once I looked into majoring in a computer-oriented field, but that idea was swiftly squashed after seeing how many complex math classes I would be required to take. I've always been horrible at math. I remember struggling to learn division in elementary school and never remembering my multiplication tables. Algebra was very difficult for me, and I never quite got the hang of it.

Embroglio
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2012, 7:43 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
Sometimes I toy with the idea of going to college. Once I looked into majoring in a computer-oriented field, but that idea was swiftly squashed after seeing how many complex math classes I would be required to take. I've always been horrible at math. I remember struggling to learn division in elementary school and never remembering my multiplication tables. Algebra was very difficult for me, and I never quite got the hang of it.

There's plenty of majors you can do that don't require math.

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 8:38 pm

Great! It's good to hear that not all of us with AS are good at math. Now I don't feel so alone :D Math was always hard for me until one particular class in calculus. For some reason, that professor had a way of teaching that just seemed to really resonate with me and I got my first A. After that I noticed that all of my other math classes were much easier. Well, except for statistics, which I really hated. Why this was so, I have no idea. Something just "clicked" in my brain and things changed. Interesting.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

Alienboy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2012, 10:09 pm

I am almost positive I have AS and I am terrible at math. I'm good at every other subject, but with math and maybe certain hard sciences, I am ret*d.

Birbal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2012, 11:13 pm

Well I'm not officially diagnosed with AS but I have reasons to think that I might have it. In primary school and high school I was an average student at maths (sometimes way long below average). After high school I had tried to obtain a degree in Engineering but was too boring for me and I couldn't finish it (I managed to pass only few exams). After 5 years of working and being completely out of school I enrolled last year to complete an Electronic Engineering degree in a high-level University. Surprisingly I found now that I’m really good at maths and any logic related subject. All my colleagues see me like a super genius...and I’m able to make a really performance of it. For example I had a test for one hour and a half. I managed to finish in less than 15 minutes, being the first one who leaves the room and being the only one who managed to score 100% at the test. And there are many other examples. I’m not an expert and I can’t explain what’s happen but I don’t think that maths has a connection with AS...I mean depends what your interests are. Usually people having AS are focusing in some particularly subject and they know almost everything about it...could be maths or not.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 2:01 am

i am a celeron aspie, i lack the maths coprocessor that the other pentium or athlon aspies have [and, by and large, archly take for granted, i might add :x], so i have always chugged my hard drive hopelessly when it comes to doing arithmatic and figuring-out logical puzzles. i hope to be reincarnated eventually as a pentium multicore or AMD equivalent. with fast abundant RAM as well. maybe then i will be able to do maths without all the struggle. :hmph:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 4:54 pm

I am an Aspie and terrible at math.

Even the most basic level of algebra I have problems with.

craiglll
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2012, 6:11 pm

Algebra isn't the worst but geometry and calc are beyond me . I am a grad student in public administration. I am so bad a statistics that I lost my scholarship because grade was so bad. I now don't know what I am going to do because I can't afford school. I am also a bad speller and typist. I wonder if bad spelling and typing are because of the same reason?

Oddly i can look a social situations and determine almost immediately what is going on but can't look at a face a determine what emotion the person is experiencing

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 10:53 pm

I have terrible troubles with even the simplest algebra. Because I had been out of school so long I got put in remedial classes when I started college. My ability to take my beloved humanities classes (which I get all A's in) is tied to me taking these atrocious remedial math classes. I managed to pass the first one with a 76. This one I'm in now though I am not even doing as well out of the gate on it... and I can't do my quizes at home this time. More tests/quizes in class, the more likely I am to fail the class..

I just cannot fathom the concept of negative numbers. You cannot have less than nothing of something. if you have a tooth pulled, you aren't negative 1 tooth, you simply have 0 tooth in the spot formerly occupied by 1 tooth. you can have 1 tooth minus 1 tooth but that leaves you with 0 tooth. you cannot have -2 tooth from the spot occupied by a single tooth thus resulting in -1 tooth! argh!

I have a 4.0 gpa apart from these math classes.. none of that matters. I could have 4.0 in 125 of my 128 credits but I'd still be required to take the eventual 1 required math course.. the only class that fills me with more dread than math is public speaking.. but I plan to just have an anxiety attack in that class in order to really get my point across.

Arzon
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jan 2012, 11:02 am

I'm better at math then languages, I'm also doing the beta side at high school.
Not an aspie though.

Embroglio
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jan 2012, 12:31 pm

rabbittss wrote:
I have terrible troubles with even the simplest algebra. Because I had been out of school so long I got put in remedial classes when I started college. My ability to take my beloved humanities classes (which I get all A's in) is tied to me taking these atrocious remedial math classes. I managed to pass the first one with a 76. This one I'm in now though I am not even doing as well out of the gate on it... and I can't do my quizes at home this time. More tests/quizes in class, the more likely I am to fail the class..

I just cannot fathom the concept of negative numbers. You cannot have less than nothing of something. if you have a tooth pulled, you aren't negative 1 tooth, you simply have 0 tooth in the spot formerly occupied by 1 tooth. you can have 1 tooth minus 1 tooth but that leaves you with 0 tooth. you cannot have -2 tooth from the spot occupied by a single tooth thus resulting in -1 tooth! argh!

I have a 4.0 gpa apart from these math classes.. none of that matters. I could have 4.0 in 125 of my 128 credits but I'd still be required to take the eventual 1 required math course.. the only class that fills me with more dread than math is public speaking.. but I plan to just have an anxiety attack in that class in order to really get my point across.

Public Speaking is a common fear for most people. People are more afraid of public speaking then they are of death. I can do ok in some maths but calc makes no sense to me, and I struggle with statistics solely because ADD kicks in, and the problems take way too damn long. Anything having to balance and use lots of number logic confuses me big time and makes almost no sense to me.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 1:32 pm

Math was a real head**** for me back when I was at school. I remember being in the middle of a math exam, I was so stressed out and couldn't solve anything right that I developed a heavy migraine attack from it. You know how migraine attacks go, you get to see flashes in your eyes till you see nothing else but those flashes (makes reading a pain in the ¨***) and then suddenly the flashes dissappear and hell arises.

Sunshine7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2012, 2:28 pm

What are people who are poor at mathematics usually good at? I'm assuming, of course, that you're good at something else to make up for it.

Quote:

Maybe try looking at it in terms of debt? If you owe somebody $2, you can think of it as literally having $-2 in your wallet right now. E.g.

- You have a $10 note (+10)
- You owe somebody $2 (-2)
- So even if you have a $10 note, only $8 of it is yours to spend if you want enough left over to return the money. Please don't try to tear off 80% of the note, though.

Nereid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2012, 1:17 am

Alienboy wrote:
I am almost positive I have AS and I am terrible at math. I'm good at every other subject, but with math and maybe certain hard sciences, I am ret*d.

Exact same situation for me! With hard work in a few of my more difficult classes, I could have gotten straight As except for in math. I tried college algebra twice only to fail even worse just one the first test the second time! I was good in math until 5th-6th grade. Algebra just gives me a headache, as well as a lot of the higher math classes. Its so frustrating that its required when in most people's lives the quadratic formula is pretty useless. I did do decent in geometry because then I could at least "see" what the hell they're talking about. Algebra's so abstract, I cant "see" the problem in my head because I'm dealing with ideas without images attached. I'm an art major if you cant tell.....