Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 12:22 am

Whenever I loiter in the kitchen, I spend most of my time in the pantry with the door closed, surrounded by food that I eat in the dark. It's wonderfully relaxing.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 12:29 am

yeah i find that if i'm in my room i'm the most comfortable but my biggest thing is i like to see all the walls in the room knowing they are sealed. so i get crazy when my door is open because i can't see what is going on behind the door clearly.

so my problem is more of i like knowing i am completely alone and no one is invading my turf. i'm like a lion protecting my den.

Research Rabid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2023, 12:00 pm

I really like small spaces and I always have. I often have to go and sit in a nook. It's an intense need that is hard to ignore and if I do try to ignore it it just builds and I get really anxious. If I ignore it for too long I become very distressed. The nook needs to have three walls that touch my back and shoulders. Depending on my environment, my state of tiredness, etc. the duration of time needed in the nook varies. I'm just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences/knows kind of what this is?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2023, 5:49 pm

I can sleep completely covered in blankets.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2023, 6:44 pm

When I'm overestimated, I like to snuggle up under a weighted blanket

I don't know why, but this helps a lot.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2023, 8:15 am

Not me. I like wide open spaces and the freedom to move around. I must have got it from my mom. She always thought small rooms are suffocating. I do use pure wool blankets and enjoy their weighty feel. Can't stand down-filled stuff. They just don't feel "real" enough. :D

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2023, 2:12 pm

I don't have a particular need for small spaces, but my current house is less than 500 sq ft, and my bedroom in my previous house was about 6ft by 8ft, pretty much the size of a queen mattress, but it had two windows. I very much need windows.

But I do find that I am very affected by architectural spaces. I find buildings with large atriums unsettling, especially if the building is poorly designed and the spaces are not well proportioned in relation to each other. I am bothered by tunnels and windowless passageways that you have to walk through, which I find dystopian. I don't like being in any very large and complicated building in which I don't know where I am in relation to the outdoors, like airports, malls, warehouses converted to artist studios, parking structures, hospitals, some museums. I also dislike weird transitional spaces like an awkward ramp that connects two levels in an ungainly way, or a service stairwell.

JamesW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2023, 2:23 pm

In my experience you can be claustrophobic and yet still enjoy seeking out small spaces. It's all about who's in control of the space.

There is a God.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2023, 3:20 pm

Hell yeah. I love small spaces. I'm sat in my little pillow fort right now. As a kid I used to rearrange furniture so I could sit in corners behind the recliner or the sofa and no one could find me. I went in the tiny attic space in the top of my brother's closet. My favourite thing was lying on my back underneath my dresser which had legs. There was barely room for me to move my arm but I'd take a pencil and write secrets on the underside of the drawers or on the pale wood frame of the dresser itself. I used to try to guess what date I'd meet my future husband, when I'd get married and have kids, and when I'd get divorced. lol but somehow I knew I'd get divorced. The dresser is still there at my mum's. I've tried to read what I wrote but now I'm too big to get under there, and the dresser itself is attached to the wall somehow so I can't turn it over. I'd happily live in one very small room if I didn't have kids and so many pets.