Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 9:15 am

Anyone here went to a private school and if so was it religious based and you had to wear uniform? The pros I understand for attending private school is that it tends to have fewer students. Plus some even have dorms.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 9:18 am

I am studying in a private school here in Taipei. We have uniforms, yes, and it is not religion based. However most Taiwanese schools require uniforms, private or not.

Nianya
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2012, 12:10 pm

Both my ASD kids go to religious oriented private schools where they wear uniform; given our need for structure it makes life easier and they only have to wear polos and khakis so not uncomfortable. :D

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 12:18 pm

My son goes to private Catholic school. He wears uniforms and I LOVE it! It's casual...kakies and polo's and black shoes. This school is very small, but it is designed specifically for children that learn differently so it's perfect for my son. It's wonderful and my son has gone there since kindergarten, and he's in 4th grade now. It's also not terribly expensive like the other private schools around here. One thing about a traditional private school is that they are only interested in finding kids that will do well on SAT's. If a child needs any kind of IEP they won't provide that unless it's an Auburn school or something similar. My son's school is totally individualized.

PM me if you are interested in learning more. The school is right on the border of Farifax County and I live near you.

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 12:58 pm

My mom put me in private school for 4th grade, since I wasn't learning much in public schools and I was getting bullied. I went there from 4th to 8th grade, then I also went to a private high school.

I disliked the religious part since I don't subscribe to any religion, we were forced to take bible classes and memorize bible verses and other Christian stuff. But I really liked the rest of my experience at both schools. There were less students than there would be at a public school. My final year at the first school (8th grade) was only 8 people. Most people were nice and nobody was a bully. So as I look back, I see that it was a positive experience.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 1:14 pm

MommyJones wrote:
My son goes to private Catholic school. He wears uniforms and I LOVE it! It's casual...kakies and polo's and black shoes. This school is very small, but it is designed specifically for children that learn differently so it's perfect for my son. It's wonderful and my son has gone there since kindergarten, and he's in 4th grade now. It's also not terribly expensive like the other private schools around here. One thing about a traditional private school is that they are only interested in finding kids that will do well on SAT's. If a child needs any kind of IEP they won't provide that unless it's an Auburn school or something similar. My son's school is totally individualized.

PM me if you are interested in learning more. The school is right on the border of Farifax County and I live near you.

Whats an Auburn School?

I know Nativity Catholic School in Burke

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 1:42 pm

www.theauburnschool.org

This is in Herndon, and it's not religiously offiliated. It's $35,000 a year and for kids that are bright or gifted, but learn differently and have speech and social issues. It would be a great place for my son but I can't afford even close to that even if I worked out there, and I also have a private speech therapist and psychologist working with my son as well that I don't want to give up.

I looked around at private schools and most of them want to see test scores and will not provide any kind of accomodation, and those were the one's that would actually take the time to talk to me. There is another school that a student at my son's school will be going to for high school. I don't know the name of that school but it's $40,000 a year and somewhere in Fairfax County I believe, or Loudoun.

Are you looking for something in particular?

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 11:10 am

Not really. Just was wondering. I don't have any kids. We will be having a relative who is 12 staying with us but not sure how long. Mom is Korean, dad is white. Jenny is a upcoming 7th grader and will be at this Catholic school in Fairfax Co near us. She was taught at a private elementary school in Seoul where she had teachers from the US and from Seoul. So she can speak English well. Her dad is very rich. He's actually the wealthiest relative on mom's side of the family. That's why he can accord to send his daughter to the US for schooling. I'm sure they have great private schools in Seoul. So of course I'm not looking forward to having some spoiled rich brat living with me and my parents. I don't make much money at my full time job, so I can't move out plus its so expensive in Fairfax Co! I would have to move towards Prince William Co or more south. I work in DC though. The thing is Jenny isn't Catholic and I don't think she attends any type of church. Her dad is Buddhist. Jenny's grandma is my mom's oldest sister. So there can be a clash. Maybe Jenny's grandma and my mom would argue. Who knows. This is first time we ever did this and I'm not happy at all. Jenny did do a home study in LA few years ago and she hated it. I think it was food. Not sure if she stayed with a American or Korean family. So why bother sending her to the US for schooling then? She's very quiet. I remember as a child being quiet and the children thought I was stuck up. She may be one of those stuck up children since her dad is a so rich. He has a $120,000 car! His wife buys expensive hand bags that are worth well over $1,000! So a child coming from such wealth may be stuck up. The Catholic school near us isn't fancy I don't think, but it is good. So who knows how she will like the US education. Is Catholic school strict? The students have to do bible study and other Catholic activities even if they aren't religious? Jenny's dad wants to send her to boarding school as well. I looked at Madiera which is for all girls, and Episcopal. See the thing is we have more family in Seattle. Plus cousins that are Jenny's age. So I don't know why my cousin didn't consider sending Jenny to live with relatives in Seattle. Mom's family live out there. The good thing is that from June-August Jenny will go back to Seoul. So she's coming in March to finish up the 6th grade at the Catholic school. Then starts 7th grade this Sep. IF she does like it then come 2014 she's out of here and goes off to boarding school. I hope she doesn't last long here. See, I'm the only child and have always had my own bathroom and bedroom. I'm much older than her so there is nothing common. If I was her age, or she was mine, maybe it might be better. But then she's also from wealth. She may look down the students who aren't as rich as her. She may flaunt her money. She has been all over the world I think flying first class no matter what. As a gift, her mom gave me a $400 handbag! Also she gave me Clarins makeup and that is very expensive! I consider my parents and I to be middle class. We don't live in a huge mansion. We sometimes fly business class when dad has a business conference to go to. We like our Japanese cars, Lexus or Toyota. I like handbags from Old Navy or such things like that. We like to stay in Bed and Breakfast. I have stayed in 5 star resort and they aren't that great.

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 2:01 pm

Part of the reason for uniforms, and this is why I personally like them, is that it is hard for kids to flaunt their wealth. Everyone wears the same thing. In my son's school they can't have shoes with any kind of emblem, their backpacks have to be plain, they can't have long hair if they are a boy, etc. I don't know how strict a Catholic school is compared to my son's. My son's school is different. They work with kids that don't do well with strictness and punishment. They are really creative when dealing with issues, they rarely use punitive measures. The consequences all fit the crime or they will restructure so the children can be as successful as they can. He does have to learn religion, it is a required class , and he goes to church twice a week and if he misses it will effect his religion grade. The director is a deeply religious woman, but VERY down to earth, and strongly believes that at risk kids need some kind of faith to help them deal with the ugly world out there they often times cannot navigate and end up feeling very alone. I know of a baptist church that I looked into that still paddles their kids. You have to agree to it or come and get your kid and take them home if you don't want them spanked, yet I know of another Catholic school that would never do that. I really think it depends on the culture of the church how strict the school is. This baptist church director believes that women should still be in skirts. :roll:

Try not to judge this girl by her money. It really depends on what her parents teach her about it. Living with you could be the best thing for her, and maybe you can mentor her some and bond over that. Teach her what is really important. A friend of mine's girls used to have contests to see how much they could come home shopping with spending the least amount of money. They made it a challenge. If this girl is stuck up, maybe something like this could bring her down to earth some. It may work out. Try to think positive even though it may be hard. This could be good for you too. You may have more in common with her that you think, and you may like being a "big sister", once you're used to sharing your stuff. I'm sure, understandibly, that would be hard. Good Luck!! !

On a side note, I don't know how anyone could send their child to boarding school. I think I would be sick if I had to go more than a few days without seeing my son. He's the best thing in my life.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 10:51 am

The requiem being between March 15-20. So my cousin paid for the remaining 3 months at the Catholic school Jenny will be going to. Her grandma is my mom's oldest sister. At least for the summer Jenny will go back to Seoul and go to some academy. No clue if she will come back in August, but most likely she will be here for 7th and 8th, but again not quite sure. Is it a common thing for asian parents to send their kids to the US for schooling before they even are in college? I know that Korean parents can be really demanding and push their children to enter Harvard, Yale, Standford, MIT. But why those colleges? I didn't go to those colleges, but still I'm doing ok at my job. I read that there is a private high school in Seoul where majority of the students go on to such top colleges here in the US. But we shall see. Jenny has never lived in the US and never gone to the school in the US. Is private really better than public? At least Jenny will wear same uniform as the rest of the students. I am not sure about backpacks and such. I read about the policy and do like it. If the student is bullying others, they can get suspended. I wish they did that in public schools. I told mom if the bullies were suspended or better yet expelled for bullying me, then the school would have been nearly empty. Bullies should get the toughest punishment. Carry around a sign that says " I love to bully" or have them take some class in respect.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 11:22 am

I went to public school and was very happy with my education. In fact, I was in advanced classes that wrote the same standardized tests as the (incredibly expensive) private school in the area. In most parts of Canada, at least, I feel that a big part of private schools is just the name value and snob appeal. Anyway, I don't think it's good for people to be completely sheltered from the real world. Those with AS I can make a bit of an exception for, but I still think that the private school environment is too cloistered.

RockMaster0421
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2012, 7:36 pm

I really don't like private schools because they can make up their own rules, which means they can discriminate against whomever they please. That is BS!! !!

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 7:57 am

I understand that private schools can be a lot smaller than public schools, and that homework is a lot more in private schools. Someone told me about a private school somewhere in Maryland where if the child acts up, that the parents have to discipline the child in front of the teachers! This same woman told me while her son was in high school at a private school around 1992 or so, that he saw children being disciplined by teachers. I thought no teachers in the US use discipline. This isn't the 1800s! But I guess some private schools still discipline the students. Not sure if this Catholic school near me does that. I can't see anywhere in their honor code or such that states that. Its a school for Preschool through 8th grade. I do know that it is a very strict uniform code, no makeup, no nail polish, no jewelry. Gosh. I was lucky I went to public school.

I wonder if foreign students do well at private schools in the US especially a religious based if they aren't religious at all or don't practice that type of Christianity. Plus private schools don't have ESL right?

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 11:44 am

I went to a private school until 7th grade, I had comfortably fitted in as the absolute bottom of the totem pole and was resigned to my lot in life. Then I had to swap to public schools due to cost. I wound up having a nervous breakdown. I liken it to that character from Shawshank Redemption who when he finally gets out of Prison he can't handle it and tops himself.

We did wear uniforms at the private school, but it doesn't keep the kids from doing the "I'm better than you" thing unless the uniforms all have to come from one source. I found that out too. If your label says Wal-mart on it and theirs says Dockers.. it actually means something to them.. and you will hear about your inadequacies until you fix it.

I hate school.

If I had kids I'd homeschool them.

Willita
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jan 2012, 7:18 pm

Having a school uniform will lessen the stress on "what to wear today".. :p
My choice in your question would be a private/specialized school would be my choice. A school where their staffs are trained for specialized needs is a good choice and also make sure that their academic and non-academic programs would meet your wants.

jamesblocker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jun 2012, 12:00 am

Not all schools have uniforms! Rules vary from one school to another. For me, as long as the school is offering a good program that'll help me get back my money's worth when I hit the workforce, I'd be happy. What matters is the college must be accredited by a well-established agency, have reasonably priced tuition, and good faculty. Have you checked out the degree programs CollegeAmerica offers? If you look up CollegeAmerica accreditation, you'll see it's accredited by the ACCSC, a body that's recognized by the US Dept of Education. Give these aspects priority when applying to any school, whether private or public.