Aspergers and an interest in psychology?

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2012, 5:35 pm

After a long chain of so called therapists I don't have the best relation with psychology. I'm a student meaning that most of the time I'm around at least two psyche students. It's nice not having to explain AS to them when and if we talk but I've been a "research tool" so many times it's not funny anymore. In summary, I'm not a fan of psychology because NT's never cease to confuse me and psyche students are always kind of...probing.

shubunkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jan 2012, 6:00 pm

yes very interested in it - its probably one of my main special interests,

and I've ended up doing courses in it

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 6:03 pm

^ Cool. :)

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:56 am

I find psychology alone very dull and uninteresting. I am all about neuroscience and how it relates to neuropsychiatric disorders. I really couldn't care less WHY people do something if the brain is not involved in the explanation. For example, learning about cognitive models for language is so incredibly boring to me. Just give me hypotheses involving Broca's and Wernicke's areas, because that's all that matters to me.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 8:03 am

I think we as aspies are more interested in psychology because we had already faced the bad aspects of it in human behaviour: discrimination. So we learn about psychology to figure out why people can be so hurtful to eachother. I personally am studying "narcissism" in humans, because all the bullying I had in the past at school was all a part of what we call "narcissistic behaviour".

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 8:19 am

I'm interested in it because people who weren't qualified for it tried to 'diagnose' me since I was little, and I like being one step ahead of everyone. :lol:

Last edited by Bun on 12 Jan 2012, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 11:50 am

Psychology? It was my Major & I have my degree in it.
My interest was both my own problems & a desire to actually do something. But really the only thing I did with it was relating to dolphins (which was BEYOND unbearably cool! :D )
In those days, there was no Asperger's, there was Schizoid (hate the term, not schizophrenia!) Personality Disorder & High Functioning Autism. No one was ever sure about me back then. But I showed ever trait of Asperger's over the years..

Matthew

NathanealWest
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jan 2012, 11:57 am

Yeah, I'm following alot of information about alot of American kooks right now. Francis E Dec, Emperor Norton, the Collyer Brothers, those kind of guys. And on the European side there's always good ol Ludwig II of Bavaria.

Arrow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jan 2013, 8:05 am

Marcia wrote:
You are interested in an academic area of study and research about people and various aspects of their thinking and behaviours. That is different from having an interest in individual people, as people.

*likes*

I was always interested in psychology... I guess I just wanted to learn as much as possible about human behavior to learn to predict them. Humans are mystical and scary, you know...

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 8:33 am

KatherineBates wrote:
Is it normal to have aspergers and be interested in psychology - the study of BEHAVIOUR? I asked my psychologist and she said yes because of my fear of people (I also have social phobia) but isn't one of the symptoms of aspergers a lack of interest in people, not to mention difficulties in recognising non verbal cues?

It seems perfectly fine to have an interest in psychology. A lot of it (sociology related tasks, or if you are collecting data for an experiment) may involve people watching and observing.

If you are going for a Doctorate though, eventually you will have to do a residency and then be in a hospital around patients.
I would think it important a psychologist to recognize non verbal cues, yet no one is perfect and even NTs can miss them i guess sometimes.

For those who have disorders and want to be psychologists, i always thought it neat, as they'd have the understanding since they'd had diagnosis in the past. My cousin is going for her psychology and has been through years of therapy in the past.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 9:08 am

KatherineBates wrote:
Is it normal to have aspergers and be interested in psychology - the study of BEHAVIOUR? I asked my psychologist and she said yes because of my fear of people (I also have social phobia) but isn't one of the symptoms of aspergers a lack of interest in people, not to mention difficulties in recognising non verbal cues?
I believe it is normal; a lot if Aspies end up becoming Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Anthropologists or Sociologists because of them to understand the people in our world more...I study Sociology and Psychology as an A Level, and I must say I find them fascinating. :)

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg

Last edited by KnarlyDUDE09 on 12 Jan 2013, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 9:09 am

KatherineBates wrote:
I believe it is normal; a lot if Aspies end up become Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Anthropologists or Sociologists because of them to understand the people in our world more...I study Sociology and Psychology as an A Level, and I must say I find them fascinating. :)

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg

Minty33
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2013, 9:23 am

I'm not diagnosed, but this is a particular interest to me. I thought I never had a special interest, such as space (read that a lot) but then I realised..I'm really interested in people. I studied psychology, I have spent countless hours reading page upon page of information on what makes humans tick. How we process information, how the environment effects us (which branched into layouts of rooms) human emotion and behaviour, body language (especially body language) I have read so much on the topic, and I always try to imitate what I read. The hardest thing is eye contact. It has always been the same and it's hard to break, but in terms of imitating another's movements, how they feel, noticing specific body movements (quick example, when walking past a woman and they pull their hair behind their ears - look out for that, it happens a lot) I feel I am pretty well read.

But over the past few days, after reading so much about AS, and thinking how I may or may not be, I've just stopped pretending. No effort what so ever. I'm happier, but I can feel how out of place I am, it's like pre-school over again..

But yeah, I have an interest in the topic. Other than research methods, that was a drag :L

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 9:29 am

I lack a bit the interest in people, but not that much actually. I also do have good friends.

But I'm highly intersted in psychology. For me those are different things.
In my interest in psychology, I'm not that much interested in the ppl, but see it more out of a scientific kind of view and I'm also interested in my own problems and disorders. I'm also interested in neuropsychiatry.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 9:39 am

The downside of psychology is sometimes understanding things in a way that takes the magic out of it - but in general its mega useful.

Night_Shade917
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2013, 3:37 pm

Although I'm NT, I also have a big interest in Psychology and I am studying it in University at the moment. It's really fascinating and I am enjoying learning about all the different theories. I guess it depends on how you look at it and what area you want to go into, whether it's the more scientific side like neurology or as a psychologist which would be more of an interest in understanding people. For me I think it's an interest in how the brain works and to understand people better.

I watched a video on Autism Hangout on youtube and the guy was interviewing Tony Attwood. He said that aspies are the best at understanding other aspies when they are a psychologist :D