Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

What do you think of the Jefferson Bible?
BLASPHEMY!! ! Cursed with damnation be those who read it! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A waste of time, both Jefferson's and the reader's. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I feel indifference / I don't care. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A decent scholarly effort, but not a valid Gospel account. 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
BRAVO!! ! A resounding success! 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Other: ________________ (Please Explain). 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 3:21 pm

Has anyone else ever read the so-called "Jefferson Bible"? According to This Wikipedia Article (and This Other Wikipedia Article), Thomas Jefferson put forth the effort to extract the "real" doctrine of Jesus by removing sections of the New Testament containing supernatural aspects as well as what he perceived were misinterpretations that had been added by the Four Evangelists.

I thought it was interesting, being essentially a biographical account of an ordinary man (Jesus) and His teachings.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 3:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
Has anyone else ever read the so-called "Jefferson Bible"? According to This Wikipedia Article (and This Other Wikipedia Article), Thomas Jefferson put forth the effort to extract the "real" doctrine of Jesus by removing sections of the New Testament containing supernatural aspects as well as what he perceived were misinterpretations that had been added by the Four Evangelists.

I thought it was interesting, being essentially a biographical account of an ordinary man (Jesus) and His teachings.

And he did it literally by cut and paste methods. He sliced and diced several KJV bibles to produce his free from superstition supernatural version of the bible. His version of the Gospel ends up with the burial of Jesus. No ressurection at all.

ruveyn

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 3:55 pm

Tim Tebow should pen a book about the life of Jesus, but he won't because NFL viewership would hurt from the scores of people going to church.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 3:59 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Fnord wrote:

And he did it literally by cut and paste methods. He sliced and diced several KJV bibles to produce his free from superstition supernatural version of the bible. His version of the Gospel ends up with the burial of Jesus. No ressurection at all.

ruveyn

if I remember right that is how the gospel of mark ends anyway.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/