Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

sErgEantaEgis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2012, 3:44 pm

I have a debate at school where each team represent a specific subject that affect nearly every society (science, education, health, security, etc...) I decided to go solo for this one and defend science. We need to prove that our particular cause is worthy of being given extra attention and funding by politicians.

I think sicence is honestly the most important, but I wanted to hear your opinion as to why. My explanation is that science is what bring enlightment and separate us from primitive cavemen or animals. It brings better understanding of our universe, allowing us to better survive in it or improve it. Science saves people by inventing medecine. It is the driving force behind education and more importantly, it rests on solid proof that get demonstrated. Science wins because it work.

I also need to privde statistics and citations, but that's another story and I don't need help.

Thank you.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2012, 3:54 pm

sErgEantaEgis wrote:
I have a debate at school where each team represent a specific subject that affect nearly every society (science, education, health, security, etc...) I decided to go solo for this one and defend science. We need to prove that our particular cause is worthy of being given extra attention and funding by politicians.

I think sicence is honestly the most important, but I wanted to hear your opinion as to why. My explanation is that science is what bring enlightment and separate us from primitive cavemen or animals. It brings better understanding of our universe, allowing us to better survive in it or improve it. Science saves people by inventing medecine. It is the driving force behind education and more importantly, it rests on solid proof that get demonstrated. Science wins because it work.

I also need to privde statistics and citations, but that's another story and I don't need help.

Thank you.

Three notes:

1. You might want to read up on scientism.

2. Science didn't bring us the Enligtenment, the Enlightenment brought us science.

3. Science is an epistemological strategy that is the synthesis of the old rationalist and empiricist schools of philosophy. The earliest intimations of the scientific method weren't incipient until Aristotle was reintroduced to Europe in the thirteenth century, and Thomas Aquinas developed something called natural theology from Aristotle's writings. Then the development of the scientific method was a long, slow process that continues to this day. It is hard to argue that the Europeans were cavemen until the 13C.

I will agree that science is important. But it is equally important not to overstate the case.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 4:34 pm

In case you get some Luddites coming at you, I suggest you remember the following point. Although science has brought us problems, it has also brought us awareness of the problems, and in almost all cases the solutions. For example, although our technological society is in the process of radically altering the climate, science has made us aware of that fact, and proposed solutions (alternative energy and, more questionably, geoengineering). Meanwhile, man kind is healthier and better for science. In those cases where science has not proposed a direct solution, it is human nature and society which is the problem, not science (ex: we could choose to just not build any nuclear weapons). That is not to say that we should research harmful technologies, but I don't think science itself can be blamed.

sErgEantaEgis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2012, 6:30 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
In case you get some Luddites coming at you, I suggest you remember the following point. Although science has brought us problems, it has also brought us awareness of the problems, and in almost all cases the solutions. For example, although our technological society is in the process of radically altering the climate, science has made us aware of that fact, and proposed solutions (alternative energy and, more questionably, geoengineering). Meanwhile, man kind is healthier and better for science. In those cases where science has not proposed a direct solution, it is human nature and society which is the problem, not science (ex: we could choose to just not build any nuclear weapons). That is not to say that we should research harmful technologies, but I don't think science itself can be blamed.

I don't think science ever borught us problems. People think science is bad because it invents things like the atom bomb or it seems to tamper with nature. The problem lies within human use of science, not science itself. Science never brought problems on itself.

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 4:30 pm

sErgEantaEgis wrote:
I don't think science ever borught us problems. People think science is bad because it invents things like the atom bomb or it seems to tamper with nature. The problem lies within human use of science, not science itself. Science never brought problems on itself.

+1