Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 12:39 am

Havent done it, but it sounds stupid. The only part of it that makes it remotely good is that everyone you meet is trying to have a relationship. Everything else about is utter junk

Pilgrim_NY
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jan 2012, 1:37 am

Same like you didn't support the idea of our own videochat room.Some people when you tell them "Good morning" go to the window to double check if the sun is really rising..I"LL RATHER DIE THAN BE A PESSIMIST!! :twisted:
Come on! Keep feel sorry for yourself and your miserable life instead of do something about it

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 3:50 am

Titangeek wrote:
For me at least, I don't make very good first impressions, and if I understand the concept properly, speed dating is based entirely on first impressions.

I agree, I don't think it is a good idea for people on the spectrum because it involves creating a positive and good impression through body language, speech and presentation. People on the spectrum have positive traits that don't necessarily meet the eye at first glance, however I think it could be positive in the sense it could teach people on the spectrum to process and respond quicker in social situations.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 10:33 am

Titangeek wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
I can't imagine Aspie's would do well with speed dating. For me at least, I don't make very good first impressions, and if I understand the concept properly, speed dating is based entirely on first impressions. Seams like a very NT type of activity.
Same here for me but some Aspies might do well with it if they have a very successful career & life. I hear the top question asked is What do you do for a living
Wouldn't that attract gold diggers?
Or slackers looking for a free meal ticket.
Difference?

Gender.

leviathans
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2012, 12:58 pm

I did it like 4-5 times. I don't see why everybody here seems so against it.

The big issue is that it's overwhelming so you lose your concentration and it's too hard for me to remember the conversations I had and the names of the people. I also tends to get mixed up with the numbers.
It never worked but one time it could have because one girl was really interested in me but I got mixed up with the numbers! :x

The big advantage is that it's only stressful at the start but after the start it's so fast-paced that you can't stress much!

Brianruns10 wrote:
I'd sooner admit defeat then try something as sad as speed dating. I mean, the whole courtship process is humiliating and debasing enough, but paying for the privilege of enduring multiple humiliations in the space of an hour? You gotta be stupid or desperate. Skip it.

It's not sad, many guys and girls go there, it's always full. There's no humiliation. I didn't feel inferior at all to people in the speed dating I went to. In fact, since I'm a science student, I would always get the "wow, that's impressive, I could never do that" kind of reaction.

Last edited by leviathans on 12 Jan 2012, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 12:59 pm

Wolfheart wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
For me at least, I don't make very good first impressions, and if I understand the concept properly, speed dating is based entirely on first impressions.

I agree, I don't think it is a good idea for people on the spectrum because it involves creating a positive and good impression through body language, speech and presentation. People on the spectrum have positive traits that don't necessarily meet the eye at first glance, however I think it could be positive in the sense it could teach people on the spectrum to process and respond quicker in social situations.

Ok. I get the point you guys are making, but i do not have that problem myself any more, since i am 35+ years old and not 20, which was the time when i had such problems, i now have other problems with people thinking like normal people and being judgemental unsympathetic as*holes - like the NTs that they are. And as for chemistry, i've never had it with anyone at a first glance, it has always evolved over time... so, regardless of a date takes 5 minutes or 5 hours it would not matter.

That is why i even considered it.

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 3:22 pm

I've done it once. It was all a blur by the end of the night. Saying much of the same stuff to 30 people in a row.

The only good thing about it you get a reality check on how well of a first impression you make. Anyone will smile, be polite, and tolerate you for 3 minutes. When you see the results of who wants to see you again, you see how you really did (it wasn't pretty).

I may give it another whirl as a training excercise. Not for any serious dating potential though. Most others there came just to try it as well.

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2012, 4:11 pm

I think I would be terrible at speed dating.I am an acquired taste,I make weird first impressions.