new member joining as self diagnosed nov 2010, now diagnosed

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

xCarlax
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2012, 12:26 am

Not sure if anyone read my horribly long post on nov 5th but i stated in so that i believe i had to have had it i related so much to it, and asked for others opinions.

well since then i have had three sessions with a very understanding qualified lady who diagnoses autism spectrum disorders in individuals who present themselves to meet the criteria, and after my third appointment this morning at nine (after she had asked if i was willing to get back on lexapro) i saw her 3 weeks later (today) and she was able to diagnose that i indeed had it.

definately feel at home now and hope to be posting more often : )

Hello to all my fellow aspergians! i can definately say it feels better to be able to be myself and explain without people just thinking im an idiot or extremely imature or a freak or somethin,

IM NOT! just crazy :)

anyhow, i thank those for there comments at the time it pushed me more to get help and that it wasnt all in my head, i am different : ) but in one of the best ways could be possible.

tata for now : )

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 1:21 am

Hi XCarlax

An official welcome to wrong planet, you are now officially deemed a citizen.
Congratulations.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 1:30 am

Congratulations on your diagnosis (strange thing to congratulate for, but getting mine was such a huge thing for me in some ways that it makes sense).

If you're like me now that you're diagnosed you'll start spending way too much time posting here, despite halfway avoiding it while self-diagnosed.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 1:47 am

Congrats on diagnosis (I know that sounds strange) :wink:

But really, different just means different, not better, not worse, just different

And Congrats on finding someone reasonable and understanding.

What does the lexapro help with?

xCarlax
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2012, 2:11 am

@Tuttle- completely so for me, avoided it quite a bit, well postring anyhow haha, can definately imagine im now going to be on here more.

@AardvarkGoodSwimmer- sorry by different and best way possible i ment its better then being called what i have been and been bullied how i have been for being "different" but bad different. so im happy know its for the better for me.

and lexapro, i tried for a couple of weeks earlier wheni was on my path for help, from a psych that talked to me for 15 mins and put me on drugs, they helped a bit i had found, but this time the second time round i have really found they help with my social anxiety, omg i am hell awkward sooooooo rediculously strange and odd with my mannerisms but i feel comfortable being able to communicate and explain why it is different if asked then to be silent n not talk at all wondering when the next stupid thing i do will happen and for others to question and for me not to be able to say " i have aspergers" because i wasnt then diagnosed, only my closest friends know the true me and comfortable me. : )

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 4:02 am

Congrats! :)

Tuttle wrote:
(...)
If you're like me now that you're diagnosed you'll start spending way too much time posting here, despite halfway avoiding it while self-diagnosed.

I sort of went the other way around. Until I was DX'd I presumed I'm a regular member with some doubt about my self-dx. Now that I've received a PDD-NOS dx I feel out of the community, a half-member, obviously too high functioning, too little affected by ASD in comparison (at least I was told so, two days earlier). I doubt it, but eventually I have to accept it and act accordingly. There are things in my life to attend to. I plan to move on with my career and make some progress with romantic relationships, at which I'm a total failure, no matter what the psychs say about my stance. When I see successful people here (and elsewhere) with not only job, but family too, my heart just plain aches. So much about that.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 9:30 pm

Okay, so lexapro can help with social anxiety and perhaps other things.

I myself have not had real good experiences with so-called mental health professionals. I am currently self-diagnosed and am comfortable being self-diagnosed. I have had some struggles with depression. In the future, I like the option of talking to my regular doctor like an internist or family practitioner about depression and asking if he or she thinks an anti-depressant might help. And from what I've read, an anti-depressant like Zoloft might help some people but not other people, and no doctor in the world can predict in advance, but another medication might work. Just that human biochem is complicated and in a very respectable sense, it is trial and error. And that the important thing is to have a doctor you can halfway talk with and be willing to try another medication if the first isn't working. (Sometimes still important to phase down in stages.)

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 9:46 pm

OJani wrote:
. . . Now that I've received a PDD-NOS dx I feel out of the community, a half-member, obviously too high functioning, too little affected by ASD in comparison (at least I was told so, two days earlier). . .

You seem like a thoroughly reasonable person. And unless you were suggesting that you speak for all people on the spectrum in all circumstances, I think the person who said this was probably out of line.

In fact, I think people who are 'bridge' people, can be valuable members of our group just like any member.

Good luck with your seeking and pursuing and being open to relationships. It seems impossible and then it happens so easily (I like zen :D )

xCarlax
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2012, 4:12 am

i recommended lexapro to a few people i know and have had feedback that it is very good and they arent ever getting of it, it really has made my depression and anxiety go away.

i guess really, its having to try them to find out, having the patience to let it fully go through its course, and to be positive about the outcome and ignore all bad rumors youve heard about them, i do that with all medication and i seem to not get much side effects from any.

you sometimes can find you might need to find the "right" one for your selves tho, and tis good to ask advice from your friends about their experiences or their friends experiences to get an idea of how it should affect you.

:)))