Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 11:42 am

Hi. I basically have no idea what an IT is expected to do on a day to day basis or what they're expected to know. Do you have to go to school to have the necessary criteria for working as an IT Tech?. Is it demanding when you have less bosses to answer to?

People keep referring me to IT jobs due to my panic attacks and other stuff in social situations. Idk where to start. Any insight would be helpful. BTW: I'm not a total noob when it comes to pc's, I've been proficient in all major Microsoft applications since age 9. Just replaced the ram in my old *** pc and am planning to build a Mini-atx with Linux on it so I can learn more computers in general. Just need to know what I'm supposed to be looking into as I seem to be overlooking something. Thanks in advance.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 12:30 pm

Most of IT is nothing like working on PCs. Helpdesk maybe is. But you really don't want to work helpdesk! It is a thankless job and it involves a lot of social interaction and good communication skills.

What is which IT job like? :D Network operations, systems operations, analysts, security, database administrators, developers, project managers, testers, etc etc.... are all vastly different from one another. IT people typically specialize in one area. The IT is just too big and complex for one person to do it all.

IT backend is a good place for aspies. Databases, networks, servers, etc... It usually takes a 4 year college degree or several years of experience in lower positions (helpdesk for example) before someone would hire a network administrator.

Basically you'd be working with things like e-mail servers and web servers, and large networks, and ethernet switches and routers and firewalls (with hundreds of ports... nothing at all like what you have at home).

You can start by pulling up a list of IT jobs a a large company, just to get an idea of the scope of it all:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/jobs/ref=j_sq_ ... &x=26&y=11

https://careers.microsoft.com/search.as ... all&p3=all

As to how to get into the field: go to school, and volunteer at a non profit as their tech person. Then get hired at an entry level position somewhere when you graduate. Work your way up.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 12:36 pm

Dilbert wrote:
Most of IT is nothing like working on PCs. Helpdesk maybe is. But you really don't want to work helpdesk! It is a thankless job and it involves a lot of social interaction and good communication skills.

What is which IT job like? :D Network operations, systems operations, analysts, security, database administrators, developers, project managers, testers, etc etc.... are all vastly different from one another. IT people typically specialize in one area. The IT is just too big and complex for one person to do it all.

IT backend is a good place for aspies. Databases, networks, servers, etc... It usually takes a 4 year college degree or several years of experience in lower positions (helpdesk for example) before someone would hire a network administrator.

Basically you'd be working with things like e-mail servers and web servers, and large networks, and ethernet switches and routers and firewalls (with hundreds of ports... nothing at all like what you have at home).

You can start by pulling up a list of IT jobs a a large company, just to get an idea of the scope of it all:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/jobs/ref=j_sq_ ... &x=26&y=11

https://careers.microsoft.com/search.as ... all&p3=all

As to how to get into the field: go to school, and volunteer at a non profit as their tech person. Then get hired at an entry level position somewhere when you graduate. Work your way up.

Dilbert, IT isn't my field exactly; I'm a librarian. But back when I first started in the field back in the mid-nineties, I thought seriously about orienting myself toward computers for the reasons you mention. I'd rather deal with things than people too. What I found out at the time was that becoming Microsoft Certified was the sine qua non. Is this no longer the case?

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 1:02 pm

Actually it isn't! I'm not MCSE certified. MCSE was all the rage in the late 90s and first half of the 00s. It isn't as important anymore. Employees seem to value experience over certifications and even over college degrees.

Ironically, back then the MCSE tests were easy and obtaining certification was pretty much meaningless. Today the tests are much harder and more aligned with reality of working in IT, and those certifications demonstrate a certain level of competence.

There are other valued certification paths. One that comes to mind is Cisco's CCNA and CCNE.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 7:33 pm

Thanks Dilbert XD! That was helpful and to the point.