Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 1:14 pm

my parents have been talking with my therapist about me possibly having a personality disorder wtf!! this is rediculous i personally think i do not! the disorder they are talking about is dependent personality disorder wtf!! im only 22 plus ive got aspergers of course im not gonna be fully independent ! :roll:

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 1:44 pm

Personality disorders and mental illnesses tend to be demeaning, I'm all for definitions which validate people.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 3:22 pm

I've suspected I might have that personality disorder, not sure........but I've suspected it I mean sure I might have AS but still I do get rather dependent on others in an emotional sense rather then the As related things. I mean I don't feel like I need people to do daily activities for me or anything but I do sometimes have an unaturally extreme need for other people. But then I might just be really lonely.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 10:40 pm

DPD doesn't mean physically dependent on others so much as emotionally. People with DPD tend to need much more validation than others, and also have very little trust in their own judgement. Many are afraid of being and iving alone or doing anything by themselves (not for reasons that others do, fear of physical safety or financial independence, but fear of not having another person with them and having to rely only on themselves while they don't trust themselves) and tend to see the people who are close to them as extensions of themselves, so they are very fearful of losing them.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 10:48 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
DPD doesn't mean physically dependent on others so much as emotionally. People with DPD tend to need much more validation than others, and also have very little trust in their own judgement. Many are afraid of being and iving alone or doing anything by themselves (not for reasons that others do, fear of physical safety or financial independence, but fear of not having another person with them and having to rely only on themselves while they don't trust themselves) and tend to see the people who are close to them as extensions of themselves, so they are very fearful of losing them.

Well other then the seeing people as extensions of myself which I don't do, that's why I think its possible I might have symptoms of that. Also though it could just be the fact I don't enjoy spending all my time alone.

169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2012, 1:20 am

I have a diagnosis of Personality Disorder, NOS mostly because I am not interested in a primary relationship. I think the diagnosis is BOGUS because I think AS is a much better explanation for that and most everything else. I have a new psychiatrist now that knows all the issues I have are not due to a mental illness.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 3:22 am

169Kitty wrote:
I have a diagnosis of Personality Disorder, NOS mostly because I am not interested in a primary relationship. I think the diagnosis is BOGUS because I think AS is a much better explanation for that and most everything else. I have a new psychiatrist now that knows all the issues I have are not due to a mental illness.

Good. :)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 11:47 am

The idea that someone's very personality can be defective is nonsense. It can differ from the norm, yes, but then it should not be labelled a "disorder".

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 11:59 am

Not to mention 'Borderliners' etc. are just reacting to their environment.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 1:04 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
The idea that someone's very personality can be defective is nonsense. It can differ from the norm, yes, but then it should not be labelled a "disorder".

Well it has to be if it causes misery for the person who has it, and if its something they don't have absolute control over...which from what I gathered in my abnormal psychology class is a pretty good description of personality disorders. But everyone is entitled to their opinion on the matter.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 1:48 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Well it has to be if it causes misery for the person who has it, and if its something they don't have absolute control over...which from what I gathered in my abnormal psychology class is a pretty good description of personality disorders. But everyone is entitled to their opinion on the matter.

Human nature itself causes misery for everyone.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 4:10 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Human nature itself causes misery for everyone.

When unchangable patterns of behavior are causing misery for an individual, its a personality disorder. Its exactly why those are considered the hardest disorders to treat. It's not nessisarly possible to change someones personality...but then are personality disorders the result of being unable to conform to a sick society or are they really disorders? that is where it gets tricky. I do love psychology and sociology.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 4:37 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
but then are personality disorders the result of being unable to conform to a sick society or are they really disorders? that is where it gets tricky.

Exactly my point.

Quote:
I do love psychology and sociology.

Same :P

backagain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2012, 11:42 am

Asp-Z wrote:

Yes! I agree. When I read about disorders and psychiatric issues, I can't help compare them to what is considered "normal". It is the normal among us that perpetrate bullying. It is the normal that love football. It is the normal that can witness a child being beaten and think "not my business". It is the normal that have hundreds of thousands of jobs, being paid to provide services that so many only seem to care about the paperwork and their paychecks. It is the normal that can cover up massive evidence of someone in authority molesting children. It is the normal that run a business, with the only concern being the bottom line. It is the normal that fall for things like "Tom's Shoes". It is the normal that print their picture in the paper celebrating 25 years of marriage, that has been filled with cheating, or beatings, or substance abuse that have been common knowledge, but the normal thing to do is remain in denial and lie. It is the normal that are running care facilities for other human beings that include shock treatments. It is the normal that can laugh about drinking a six pack of beer on the ride from work to the daycare to pick up their kids, everyday. It is the normal that ignore the fact their spouse beat their baby to the point of brain damage, and stay married.

I don't want to fit in, I don't want to be normal. There were times in my life, mostly work situations, but some personal ones, that I thought that if I could just get enough of the right medications in me, I could stand being around all those normal people.

Sorry for the rant, having a hard time right now

dr01dguy
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2012, 11:46 am

Quote:
I have a diagnosis of Personality Disorder, NOS mostly because I am not interested in a primary relationship. I think the diagnosis is BOGUS

As far as I know, the only scenario where you can be involuntarily-diagnosed with a personality disorder that doesn't bother YOU PERSONALLY is something like a divorce or custody trial, where the other party might call in a psychiatrist as an expert witness to testify that your behavior is consistent with ${some-personality-disorder}.

If you're seeing the psychiatrist for your own benefit, and your lack of interest in a primary relationship doesn't bother you, then it's not a problem to be diagnosed, end of story. At most, it might be a supporting bit of evidence to satisfy a diagnosis criterion for Aspergers if you think it's relevant, but that's it.

Your psychiatric diagnosis isn't a credit report. It exists solely to give the doctor ideas to pursue for treatment, and possibly to confirm eligibility for government support services. If your doctor won't give you an official AS diagnosis, he has no business diagnosing you with a NOS personality disorder for something that doesn't actually bother you, because it's not something you want to be treated for.

That said, when it comes to health insurance paying for things, there might be strategic advantages to having things diagnosed a certain way for billing purposes. Especially for chronic conditions that might be subject to lifetime caps. If the meds are the same, it might be advantageous to "officially" roll through a sequence of allegedly short-term personality disorders every few months than to leave it at one and risk maxing out the benefits for it.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 11:49 am

I got involuntarily diagnosed, and it was neither of these scenarios. My mum said the neighbours called in, but to be honest, I find it far more likely she tried to save on private care, vs. public healthcare. Therefore, a shite diagnostic process at that.