Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

PurpleOctober
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2012, 1:56 pm

I'm going to stick myself way out here. I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm not looking to complain. I'm looking for insight, so please don't think I'm out for pity.

I experienced a trauma when I was 15, and two years after, when I was 17 the smallest thing that reminded me of the trauma would cause flashbacks. That is PTSD, classical. I know that much, and was diagnosed as such at 18.
The thing is, I don't know that everyone with PTSD, two years later, has similar meltdowns to what I had. With sensory input being really problematic during the meltdown, and my head being filled with every memory, down to remembering with 3 of 5 senses, to near-perfect recall. I would cry uncontrollably and tremble and have horrible anxiety, and talking became something I could barely do. During these meltdowns, the only thing that really helped was going to my school's Guidance office and hiding in the conference room, with the lights off, curled into a corner between a filing cabinet and a wall. One time I was put out in the hallway, and subsequently crawled under a table and made myself as small as possible.

I did not have these meltdowns at home, where sensory input was fairly limited.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? I know the small space thing has been mentioned on here recently, and I get that it's a common thing with people with sensory integration issues.
I didn't post this to the "other disorders" forum because I'm specifically asking if the reason I had such extreme meltdowns (in my opinion, extreme for age 17) was tied to ASD.
Thank you.

AQ Score: 42

Aspie Quiz: 178/200