Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 6:53 pm

Well this is another theory I am considering besides that I have AS......I did have a lack of oxegen at birth for long enough to do some damage so maybe that accounts for some of the problems i have. But I am not sure how the two compare, is it possible to confuse AS from simple damage to the brain?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:00 pm

This is something I often wonder. About me, not you.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 7:01 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well this is another theory I am considering besides that I have AS......I did have a lack of oxegen at birth for long enough to do some damage so maybe that accounts for some of the problems i have. But I am not sure how the two compare, is it possible to confuse AS from simple damage to the brain?

Sweet, I doubt it, though it's probably a question best addressed to a doctor. I have a cousin who was oxygen-deprived at birth. He's mentally ret*d as a result.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:02 pm

XXXXXX

Last edited by purchase on 18 Jan 2012, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

I was a primie, AND my brain bled after I was born, and I was still DXed. Psychiatrists don't treat such info as 'just' brain damage, it provides them with background/explanation but I understood that they still diagnose people who have brain damage.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:28 pm

Dunnyveg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Sweet, I doubt it, though it's probably a question best addressed to a doctor. I have a cousin who was oxygen-deprived at birth. He's mentally ret*d as a result.

Yes that is a possible result of such oxegen deprivation, but I feel more like I am quite intelligent but just don't have the ability to function in such a way that would indicate I have such intelligence.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:31 pm

Bun wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I was a primie, AND my brain bled after I was born, and I was still DXed. Psychiatrists don't treat such info as 'just' brain damage, it provides them with background/explanation but I understood that they still diagnose people who have brain damage.

well yeah I guess they wouldn't but I guess I was just kind of wondering if brain damage could account for what I veiw as AS symptoms in myself.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:33 pm

If it could, having the symptoms would still mean you have AS. It's a possibility, speaking as a brain damaged person myself - I have the symptoms of AS, they're just not recognised in my dx.

Georgia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2012, 8:00 pm

How could doctors tell the difference?

My younger son has brain damage but also shows signs of autism or maybe a cognitive delay. Niether doctors, nor teacher/assessors can tell us diffinitively where the line is. We have no choice but to wait and see.

I found a website about brain damage in children and how it effects their long-term development. (Can't find it again I looked, sorry) There were suggestions on what accomodations they might need, and what behaviors to "typically" expect as they got older. Helpful and yet not. Many unknowns.

Maybe an MRI could help? It might answer some of your questions.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 8:04 pm

Georgia wrote:
How could doctors tell the difference?

My younger son has brain damage but also shows signs of autism or maybe a cognitive delay. Niether doctors, nor teacher/assessors can tell us diffinitively where the line is. We have no choice but to wait and see.

I found a website about brain damage in children and how it effects their long-term development. (Can't find it again I looked, sorry) There were suggestions on what accomodations they might need, and what behaviors to "typically" expect as they got older. Helpful and yet not. Many unknowns.

Maybe an MRI could help? It might answer some of your questions.

That's alright I'll try and look up some more info on the internet myself as I am kinda curious about this.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 8:58 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Dunnyveg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Yes that is a possible result of such oxegen deprivation, but I feel more like I am quite intelligent but just don't have the ability to function in such a way that would indicate I have such intelligence.

Sweet, I feel like I'm on pretty safe ground saying you're not mentally ret*d, though you may be mentally challenged with other issues.

Don't be too hard on yourself. You have a lot of worthwhile things to say.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 9:15 pm

Dunnyveg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Dunnyveg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Sweet, I feel like I'm on pretty safe ground saying you're not mentally ret*d, though you may be mentally challenged with other issues.

Well yeah I am quite sure I am not, but I certainly have pleanty of other issues....and I just feel like its possible that lack of oxegen could be part of it.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 10:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Dunnyveg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Dunnyveg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Well yeah I am quite sure I am not, but I certainly have pleanty of other issues....and I just feel like its possible that lack of oxegen could be part of it.

You might be right. I recall you writing you were born prematurely. See below for an article on the subject if you are interested:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/11 ... n-preemies

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 10:28 pm

Dunnyveg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Dunnyveg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Dunnyveg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

You might be right. I recall you writing you were born prematurely. See below for an article on the subject if you are interested:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/11 ... n-preemies

well I don't know if it was exactly pre-mature but yeah there was a lack of oxegen.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 8:06 am

I am a believer that ALL neuropsychiatric disorders are a result of brain abnormalities. I've never had actual brain damage in my life, but I strongly believe that my brain developed oddly in the first place. My brain doesn't work the normal way. When it's connected differently and has abnormal activation, how could it possibly work "normally"?

Nash: Is there a difference?

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 12:23 pm

isn't it just the combination of dropping accid having aspergers living in this world and having a bad outsight on the future that gets you realy depresed it did for me for a while atleast but i have outlook for a future and i have only mild aspergers and i have faked feeling normal for a while which has now goten me in a place of feeling relatively normal again but i could imagine had i had less options at the time i would be in a similair that hole you are in. the trick is to reverse thought patern don't doubt as much calm you mind, it worked for me.