Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 9:13 pm

Me too.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 12:44 pm

I loathe attention.

I generally go out of my way to avoid it.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 1:24 pm

dianthus wrote:
Sometimes I do things just to see how people react. It's my way of trying to understand how/why people react the way they do. They might think I'm looking for attention but most times I'm trying to figure out what will make them leave me alone.

That's what I did as a kid. I still do it sometimes.

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 1:44 pm

I can sympathize with the OP. To a degree. I have a conflict in that I'd like attention (to some extent), but I also don't want attention and would prefer to avoid it at all costs. It leads me to say things that I know will kill the possibility of actually talking to someone for more than three minutes. :? Online or otherwise, though online it's worse because I'm much more articulate (it's like I'm a totally different person when I'm writing/typing).

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 8:27 pm

kestrel wrote:
I can sympathize with the OP. To a degree. I have a conflict in that I'd like attention (to some extent), but I also don't want attention and would prefer to avoid it at all costs. It leads me to say things that I know will kill the possibility of actually talking to someone for more than three minutes. :? Online or otherwise, though online it's worse because I'm much more articulate (it's like I'm a totally different person when I'm writing/typing).

That post made me feel good because it's nice to know that someone can relate to me. I too have a bad habbit of saying the wrong things in a normal conversation, especially on the internet. I would like to get attention in the right ways but I just can't figure out how, so I think I tend to do it in all the wrong ways and I'm just not good at explaining myself which seems to piss people off more. Anyways I thought maybe it could be normal for people with Aspergers to seek attention in inapproriate ways due to the fact that they have poor social skills (like myself, in fact mine are probably worse than the majority of people on this forum with Aspergers).

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 8:40 pm

No. I hate being at the center of attention. I do whatever I can to get out of it.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 8:43 pm

Cash__ wrote:
No. I hate being at the center of attention. I do whatever I can to get out of it.

It's not that I have a desire to be "The center of attention", it's just that my whole life I have been pretty much ignored by everybody because of the fact that I am so quiet and mild-mannered, so when I discovered the internet... ah what the hell, it probably doesn't matter if I try to explain it because I suck at explaining things about myself. :roll:

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 8:58 pm

Bun wrote:
Does God seek attention?...

according to the bible... yes... yes he does...

God is an attention seeking whiny punk if you believe what the bible says :p
(ps, I say this in jest, I am not an atheist or opposed to Christianity and I haven't read more than 10% of the bible, no debate intended)

As for the OP topic...

I think many people online seek out attention... being an attention seeker would sort of imply that your primary goal of social interaction is to seek out attention, which would be a more insecure aspect of needing attention...

I would think the biggest difference would be being able to figure out if you are GETTING the attention that you seek. We all seek attention if it is something we need. I would think autism would instead create less need for connections where the attention level required would be below NT requirements overall so that a balanced AS or otherwise autistic person would fall somewhere in the less needy for attention than the mean.

Just theories of course :) It would be a FASCINATING study though if someone where to somehow turn it into a scientific endeavor

Trainbuff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2012, 9:53 pm

When I was younger, I admit I was a attention seeker, today? Complete opposite.

The memories of me attention seeking when I was younger still haunts me in my mind every now and then. I really hate the fact that I was a attention seeker when I was younger.

Today, even though I'm low key as possible, I still attract unwanted attention.

**sigh, face palm**

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 9:56 pm

I admit to being a bit of an attention seeker. I can't stand the thought of being alone and yet I can't stand the thought of being with people either.

You will reap what you've sown.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 10:44 pm

infinitenull wrote:
Bun wrote:
Does God seek attention?...

according to the bible... yes... yes he does...

God is an attention seeking whiny punk if you believe what the bible says :p
(ps, I say this in jest, I am not an atheist or opposed to Christianity and I haven't read more than 10% of the bible, no debate intended)

That's what I think as well; Good to see you mirror my belief. :P

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 10:50 pm

Bun wrote:

:heart: Its ok if they are wrong :) god is chill enough to be like "ah, they mean well and just didn't know any better" I figure lol

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 10:54 pm

:D

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 10:54 pm

infinitenull wrote:
Bun wrote:

:heart: Its ok if they are wrong :) god is chill enough to be like "ah, they mean well and just didn't know any better" I figure lol

No. Not really. The bible is full of him demanding people be massacred in brutal ways for reasons that essentially amount to thought crime.

You will reap what you've sown.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 10:57 pm

He is a merely misunderstood loving deity
[I'm keeping this 'discussion' in jest]

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 11:11 pm

before I start, I want to completely apologize for derailing the thread I promise that I do feel guilt but cant help but continue with interesting joking... and that I will continue on to the religion and politics section soon for this sort of joking...

abacacus wrote:
infinitenull wrote:
Bun wrote:

No. Not really. The bible is full of him demanding people be massacred in brutal ways for reasons that essentially amount to thought crime.

Hey, sometimes biographies are libelous and make the subject matter out to be more of a monster than they really are... it helps to make the book a biggest seller :albino:

Bun wrote:
He is a merely misunderstood loving deity
[I'm keeping this 'discussion' in jest]

aaaaaw! see you love it too! :heart: :hail: :lmao:

(for the record... I bet god has a since of humor and would giggle along if they had time to pay attention to this thread)