Page 4 of 5 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2011
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

28 Apr 2012, 2:53 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
The moon, yes. The District of Columbia? No way!


Why would anyone choose to live on the Moon I mean their is no sunshine their it will always be dark. It would be a good place for a supermax prsion.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,226
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

28 Apr 2012, 3:01 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
The moon, yes. The District of Columbia? No way!


Of course! The moon doesn't have what D.C. has - loads of black people!
Even though Gingrich would never admit that out loud.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer



Joker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2011
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

28 Apr 2012, 3:28 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
The moon, yes. The District of Columbia? No way!


Of course! The moon doesn't have what D.C. has - loads of black people!
Even though Gingrich would never admit that out loud.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Most republicans in the GOP have mixed views on the Black community and on black GOP memmebers like Allen West and Herman Cain.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,226
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

28 Apr 2012, 3:35 pm

Joker wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
The moon, yes. The District of Columbia? No way!


Of course! The moon doesn't have what D.C. has - loads of black people!
Even though Gingrich would never admit that out loud.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Most republicans in the GOP have mixed views on the Black community and on black GOP memmebers like Allen West and Herman Cain.


Yes, I know. I was actually commenting explicitly on Gingrich.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer



simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,200

28 Apr 2012, 3:42 pm

The French are a symbol of weakness in right wing circles. They think of the sudden collapse in World War 2 rather than the victories of Napoleon. It's code for "you are weak".

There was some grumbling from the right over France, Germany and Russia opposing the Iraqi invasion (despite these governments agreeing with the opinion of their own people) back in 2003 but in 1991 the French were part of the effort. The animosity is deeper than that.



Joker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2011
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

28 Apr 2012, 3:44 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Joker wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
The moon, yes. The District of Columbia? No way!


Of course! The moon doesn't have what D.C. has - loads of black people!
Even though Gingrich would never admit that out loud.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Most republicans in the GOP have mixed views on the Black community and on black GOP memmebers like Allen West and Herman Cain.


Yes, I know. I was actually commenting explicitly on Gingrich.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


I know Gingrich is a fallacy.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,044
Location: Seattle

28 Apr 2012, 4:25 pm

Most of the conservatives I know don't so much hate the French as enjoy mocking them. This was especially so in gunsmithing school, as many early French firearms actually were designed by committee and considered some of the worst ever designed, and their 20th century military history was littered with tough talk followed by swift defeat. My personal favorite French military operation was the sinking of the Greenpeace flagship Rainbow Warrior, where so much evidence of French involvement was left behind that a DGSE director was reputed to have remarked that they may as well have left behind a beret, a baguette and a bottle of Beaujolais.


_________________
Murum Aries Attigit


AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,582

28 Apr 2012, 10:41 pm

I find it so ironic that in the USA knowing French is something you can attack a political opponent with. In Canada a politician can be attacked for not knowing French. In a recent leadership race for the official opposition there were one or two candidates that were more or less disregarded because they were not functionally bilingual.



Declension
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,880

28 Apr 2012, 11:11 pm

Dox47 wrote:
My personal favorite French military operation was the sinking of the Greenpeace flagship Rainbow Warrior, where so much evidence of French involvement was left behind that a DGSE director was reputed to have remarked that they may as well have left behind a beret, a baguette and a bottle of Beaujolais.


The sinking of the Rainbow Warrior is a very good reason to dislike France, not to mock it. It was an unprovoked act of war by France in New Zealand waters, and it went unacknowledged for many years. It's shameful that your opinion on it seems to be "they didn't do it properly". They shouldn't have done it in the first place.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,044
Location: Seattle

28 Apr 2012, 11:19 pm

Declension wrote:
The sinking of the Rainbow Warrior is a very good reason to dislike France, not to mock it. It was an unprovoked act of war by France in New Zealand waters, and it went unacknowledged for many years. It's shameful that your opinion on it seems to be "they didn't do it properly". They shouldn't have done it in the first place.


I agree, they should never have done it at all. However, if they just had to do it, they should have done it properly. :D


_________________
Murum Aries Attigit


Declension
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,880

28 Apr 2012, 11:21 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I agree, they should never have done it at all. However, if they just had to do it, they should have done it properly. :D


I understand, sorry. It's a bit of a sore spot for me.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,044
Location: Seattle

28 Apr 2012, 11:33 pm

Declension wrote:
I understand, sorry. It's a bit of a sore spot for me.


Gotcha, just noticed the NZ tag on your location. You gotta admit though, that if you were already going to rag on the French for military incompetence, f*cking up sinking an unarmed Greenpeace ship in ostensibly friendly waters is sort of the cherry on top. Didn't you guys or the Aussies actually catch the agents behind it and hold them for a while? I always confuse the details on Rainbow Warrior and the time the Israelis whacked a Moroccan waiter in Lillehammer because they thought he was one of the Munich masterminds... That one didn't end well either.


_________________
Murum Aries Attigit


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 89,325
Location: the island of defective toy santas

29 Apr 2012, 3:19 am

Joker wrote:
I wish America could be more like Europe.

QFT+1 googleplex!



AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2011
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,582

29 Apr 2012, 8:34 am

auntblabby wrote:
Joker wrote:
I wish America could be more like Europe.

QFT+1 googleplex!

Unfortunately, most European governments seem to take the opposite view right now: they want Europe to be more like America.



ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Age: 115
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,800

29 Apr 2012, 10:18 am

AstroGeek wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Joker wrote:
I wish America could be more like Europe.

QFT+1 googleplex!

Unfortunately, most European governments seem to take the opposite view right now: they want Europe to be more like America.


I doubt that many European governments are that extremist.