Do you not like using the library on campus?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 8:10 pm

Don't ask me I'm trailer trash.

Ask someone from a middle income+ background.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 8:12 pm

jamieevren1210 wrote:
Dunnyveg wrote:
jamieevren1210 wrote:
The library to me is the best place on campus. It's got a huge slanted ceiling to let light in, and most of the time it's deserted. It's three levels above major noise, an the windows are opened to let in wind.
I do hope you find a good place to study though.

Jaime, in the US Asians tend to crowd college libraries. Are you saying they don't do the same in Asia?

Nope. Here are some pics of my school lib. And I'm in junior high, ninth grade.

Private school?

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
jamieevren1210 wrote:
Dunnyveg wrote:
jamieevren1210 wrote:
The library to me is the best place on campus. It's got a huge slanted ceiling to let light in, and most of the time it's deserted. It's three levels above major noise, an the windows are opened to let in wind.
I do hope you find a good place to study though.

Jaime, in the US Asians tend to crowd college libraries. Are you saying they don't do the same in Asia?

Private school?

Yeah.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 3:55 pm

I don't think I am allowed in that library because of incident that happened last year. I don't like it though, the librarians are really strict. You have to whisper so quiet that you are literally touching the other person's ear with your lips, otherwise, you will get shushed. I get worried that I am going to talk too loud in there and I talk louder when I am nervous. Also, I had a really mean school librarian when I was in grade 1, so I didn't like going back than either.

I don't mind the public library though.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 9:56 pm

Zelda: the library on my campus has private study carrels -- free-standing ones, but also little rooms with reading desks and chairs -- on some floors. Ask your librarian if any of these private study rooms are available in your library. Then you can shut yourself away and maybe use an ipod to block out residual noise from the outside. If you explain that you are having trouble concentrating, they may be able to direct you to a floor that doesn't get as much traffic, too.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 8:26 pm

Dunnyveg wrote:
XLCR, I used to work at the public library in College Station, but I did research in Texas A&M's library. It was always full of students, but that was thirteen years ago. Have things changed that much?

The best library at Texas A&M is the medical library for the medical and veterinarian students. Unless it has changed drastically, people at the main library feel perfectly free to jabber at full volume non-stop.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 9:30 pm

I would sometimes get in trouble for talking in the library, I'd just flash my ID and say it was work related call. :)

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Sep 2012, 12:18 pm

Between classes I spend virtually all my time in the library. I know several very quiet spots and I will walk down the aisles until I find a few interesting books and just go to one of my favorite corners and immerse myself in reading. Our library has six floors and a basement, and people only congregate on floors 1 through 3, so the upper floors and especially the basement get less traffic and have some truly quiet sections. I just get peeved when they move all of the books every summer, I get totally lost and have to find the quiet sections again (Mormonism, local agricultural records, and 19th century American drama seem to be rarely researched topics, though each can be quite fascinating).

ProbablyNotNormal
Raven
Raven

07 Sep 2012, 1:48 am

I head towards the quieter upper floors to study/do homework. The first floor is usually a zoo; I only use it overnight.

Spirochete
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Sep 2012, 11:13 pm

I'll go to the library for books I need, but I can't work in there, mostly out of paranoia that other students will look at my work and be judgemental about it. Also, most of the people at my school aren't really there for the education, if you know what I'm saying.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2012, 10:41 pm

I used the library often when I was in school, but at the university, women were often told to avoid certain sections of the library at night because of the risk of rape, so if I did anything in the evening, I stayed on the first floor as they had plenty of chairs for studying.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 8:13 pm

^ Then shouldn't they station security guards or something in these rape hot spots? And why women only? Statements like that make rapists feel like they can get away with raping men...

AQ: 33

MissMubs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2012, 1:11 am

I am alright with being in a library, I can concentrate with noises around me. The only thing that bothers me is people around me everywhere looking at me or interacting with me. I hate it. So I go to the 5th or 6th floor in the cubicles where no one will bother me :3

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2012, 1:35 am

jamieevren1210 wrote:

...the books! .....the shelves!.... The space!

Never have I seen a library so beautiful.

nokosage

02 Oct 2012, 5:49 pm

I can't do heavy reading and keep focused when I am anywhere where there may be any kind of unpredictable background noise. The librarian here usually isn't around while the lower years are in lessons and while I am free to go to the library, so there are usually people talking. Not that her presence can completely remove background noise, or stop me feeling as though I am being watched. I feel dissociated from anything that I read in the library and I usually get agitated if I try to do other work.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 7:01 pm

nokosage wrote:
I can't do heavy reading and keep focused when I am anywhere where there may be any kind of unpredictable background noise. The librarian here usually isn't around while the lower years are in lessons and while I am free to go to the library, so there are usually people talking.

That's the great thing about a medical school library. At least the medical/vet school library at Texas A&M. There are strict rules against talking on the upper floor.

The vet students and med students have study rooms assigned to them. Sometimes they talk quietly in the study rooms. Unless you are near the room someone is talking in, you can barely notice it.

And in the summertime the study rooms are available to anyone -- just walk in and use them. Shut out the minimal noise from the main part of the library.