Who took drafting/CAD in high school or college?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 7:28 pm

I took CAD my senior year. I remember when one of the assignments was to design the floor plan of a house, and I put a toilet in every room. The garage had a urinal in it.

I got this idea from an episode of Rocko's Modern Life, when a renovater turned every room in Rocko's house into a bathroom. The renovater said "You can never have too many bathrooms!"

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 11:14 pm

I took drafting two consecutive semesters in highschool and really enjoyed it. I also had a 98 average (highest in the class) both semesters.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 12:26 am

you too, huh xon?
They didn't have CAD when I was in highschool (unless it was one of the ritzy schools, I guess), so old-school drafting for me. It helped me tremendously when I started doing 3D.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 2:26 am

The first semester we did drafting by hand and by computer. The second semester the teacher had us use computers only from then on due to changes in the drafting industry.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 9:56 am

My son took CAD his sophmore year.

I think it's pretty interesting that many kids have taken this.

He's good at this sort of work -- he got a full-time job with a sprinkler system company doing CAD work when he was 15. He was bored, though -- he couldn't see doing that for the rest of his life. CAD work in some other arena would probably be more interesting. AND, he was 15, and resented the fact that all of his friends were goofing off while he was working from 7:00 to 3:00 everyday of the summer!

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 12:10 pm

I took an Engineering drafting class (all done by hand, no CAD stuff) as a freshman in high school... I hated it. I was too sloppy then and kept getting bad grades on the drawings because of all the requirements and stuff. :(

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 11:46 pm

Structural engineer 103:. Conceptual structural design

Structural engineer 120

Solid works and cosmos

Model a building and simulate it under earthquake load