Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 12:15 pm

I wonder what it would be like to travel thousands of years into the future. Would marriage be obsolete? Would everyone practice free love like in the movie Brave New World? Would children be hatched in incubators ? Would we be considered savages compared to their advanced civilization?

truth15ful
Raven
Raven

15 Jan 2012, 1:30 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
I wonder what it would be like to travel thousands of years into the future. Would marriage be obsolete? Would everyone practice free love like in the movie Brave New World? Would children be hatched in incubators ? Would we be considered savages compared to their advanced civilization?

Definitely not. We will be far less intelligent in the future than we are now, just like people thousands of years ago were more intelligent than we are. Sure, maybe we have more knowledge and have invented more things we can use, but as far as thinking power goes people get dumber over time. It's social entropy: Order descends into chaos.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 1:33 pm

But in the future people will have access to super computers.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 1:35 pm

androbot2084 wrote:

Quote:
"Oh my God. I'm back. I'm home. All the time, it was... We finally really did it. You maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 1:41 pm

True we can use nuclear power to blow ourselves up but any advanced civilization uses nuclear power.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 4:23 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
True we can use nuclear power to blow ourselves up but any advanced civilization uses nuclear power.

Any advanced civilization uses nukes? Not in the past. And we don't know of any others off planet.

ruveyn

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 5:24 pm

I'm talking about the future.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 6:02 pm

androbot2084 wrote:

If civilization falls into another dark age, they maybe the savages by our standards.

Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 6:20 pm

androbot2084 wrote:

The future does not exist. Only the present and the past exist.

ruveyn

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 6:57 pm

An observed future is a determined future. A quantum telescope can see into the future and the future is set into concrete as soon as the observation is made.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 7:30 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
An observed future is a determined future. A quantum telescope can see into the future and the future is set into concrete as soon as the observation is made.

An observed future is the present some time from now.

ruveyn

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 1:20 am

ruveyn wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

ruveyn

The past existed.

The present is always here, but only while the power bill is paid. So to speak.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 2:34 pm

cw10 wrote:
This thread got me thinking:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt185801.html

I didn't read the whole thing because I was struck by an interesting thought. What if our solar system had another habitable planet it in. Would we have visited it by now, or planed to?

Do you think the space program would be years ahead by now if that were the case?

We have another habitable planet in our solar system: Mars. It's not habitable in the same sense that Earth is habitable, but it has the resources to support colonization and technological civilization. We haven't gone there though, even though we could have done so since the 1970's, so if there were even another Earth like naturally habitable planet within our own solar system I would bet that we would also just waste our time and never go there either.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 2:39 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

We have another habitable planet in our solar system: Mars. It's not habitable in the same sense that Earth is habitable, but it has the resources to support colonization and technological civilization. We haven't gone there though, even though we could have done so since the 1970's, so if there were even another Earth like naturally habitable planet within our own solar system I would bet that we would also just waste our time and never go there either.

Let's see. No breathable atmosphere. No magnetic field, Cold. Dry. Cost of colonization beyond our current means. That is really habitable.

ruveyn

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 2:43 pm

cw10 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

ruveyn

The past existed.

Yes, the past existed, the present exists, and the future shall exist.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 2:44 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
cw10 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

ruveyn

The past existed.

Yes, the past existed, the present exists, and the future shall exist.

-the- future. Which future? There are many possible futures. Human behavior is not deterministic so our choices are not wired into the laws of physics.

ruveyn