Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 7:52 pm

Anyone here collect rocks? Genuine question as I have just started studying the Earth/geo sciences (although I have yet to start a rock collection of my own) and would love to find people to chat to about it. I also like palaeontology and Evolution. It's not very often I get to talk to people about these things, although I am still a learner. Always good to learn new information though.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 8:32 pm

bumble wrote:
Anyone here collect rocks? Genuine question as I have just started studying the Earth/geo sciences (although I have yet to start a rock collection of my own) and would love to find people to chat to about it. I also like palaeontology and Evolution. It's not very often I get to talk to people about these things, although I am still a learner. Always good to learn new information though.

I collect rocks! But I'm not at all knowledgeable about them. I just like rocks. I like to hold them and have them around me. When I was little, every time we went to a river or creek I'd collect a bucketful.

I used to go looking for a rock, every time I needed to think about something. I'd find a rock I liked and make it my "worry stone" for that particular issue.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 9:36 pm

PurpleOctober wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
I have several different collections: books, DVDs, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic toys, and Alice in Wonderland merchandise.

My Alice in Wonderland collection is my favorite. I have books, stickers, plush toys, figurines, necklaces, and cards (like birthday cards and such, not playing cards). My favorite item from that collection is my 19 in. (48 cm) Alice plush, in the likeness of the Disney version. She's as detailed as a plastic doll, but incredibly soft and the perfect size for cuddling. I sleep with her every night. My only complaint is that they didn't make a similar type of doll for the Tim Burton movie version, because she's my favorite.

I love showing my collections to others. It makes me feel proud.

I love Alice in Wonderland too. I have a Tenniel illustration of Alice tattooed on my left forearm.

Always nice to meet a fellow Alice fan! :) I think it's cool that you have an Alice tattoo. I have been wanting an Alice tattoo ever since I became obsessed with it back in 2010, but tattoos are a bit pricey and I worry that I won't like it anymore once my Alice in Wonderland obsession finally subsides. Since it's rare for my interests to last longer than 2 or 3 years, I often worry that I'll just wake up one morning and go, "I don't really like Alice in Wonderland anymore". I've had that happen to me with other obsessions before, so that's what worries me.

goodwitchy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 10:04 pm

dianthus wrote:
bumble wrote:

I collect rocks! But I'm not at all knowledgeable about them. I just like rocks. I like to hold them and have them around me. When I was little, every time we went to a river or creek I'd collect a bucketful.

I used to go looking for a rock, every time I needed to think about something. I'd find a rock I liked and make it my "worry stone" for that particular issue.

I like rocks too. Whenever someone I know has visited a special place,or somewhere far, I asked for the one thing that I know was made in that place - I ask them to just pick me up a rock.
:wink:

I wish I knew more about rocks too.I sometimes carry a polished tiger's eye stone in my pocket...it can be a soothing feeling to rub a polished stone.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 10:11 pm

The not sharing interests with others thing is probably more applicable to autistic children than adults. Autistic children who do not share or point to show others often have no clue that there is such a thing as showing things to others, and the idea of doing this does not occur to them, and they never exhibit this behavior as NT children do in early childhood. Once they learn the preceding information, the idea of showing others may occur to them more often, and as teenagers or adults, they may go on and on and on about their collections of objects. Many people do this though, going on and on and on about their favorite things. I don't do this with collections, but single objects that I make others touch and rapture over as I do.

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 11:38 pm

artrat wrote:
I have obsessively collected music for the past 15 years. I have over 2,000 C.Ds and they must be arranged correctly.
I am not sure if I feel an emotional connection with CDs but I do feel a very strong emotional connection with music.

I only obsessively talk about my interest with people that I am very close to. I am embarrassed to share it with people that I don't know well. This does not mean that I don't want to share because I do.
When I feel very passionate about something it is hard not to share it with others. Talking about my interests can be similar to an addiction.
I have stopped because people find it selfish.

I am diagnosed with aspergers but I don't relate to some of the traits. I have never heard that people with AS don't share their interests with others.
If somebody wanted to see my collection then I would be very happy to share with them.

For me, I think avoiding sharing my fascinations with people is a defense mechanism. I've had too many people go glossy-eyed and act bored when I've shown them my garden. It's a novelty for most people and nothing more. That's what I get for dabbling in nepenthes plants - feed a mouse to one and it becomes a spectator sport. 8O