Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

so_subtly_strange
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2012, 3:20 am

Who makes rank names? Did Alex make them all? Did he make them to a certain point and then people start choosing what to name their rank as you have more posts? Well im curious about that if anyone knows, but lets make this thread about how many different rank names there are and the definitions, and if you knew the definition without looking it up. Try not to post if someone else already had your same rank and divulged the definition. Also through in some random discussion so I can reply to it to bump the thread with out it being the taboo bump for bump sake. ok here we go

so_subtly_strange
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2012, 3:26 am

ok i am a snowy owl right now. kinda lame. not that the owl are lame, because owls are awesome, just i was hoping to learn something. i dont think there is anyone that doesnt know what a snowy owl is. where are snowy owls native to? i dont know. to the internet batman!
Snowy Owls nest in the Arctic tundra of the northermost stretches of Alaska, Canada and Eurasia. They winter south through Canada and northern Eurasia, with irruptions occurring further south in some years. Snowy Owls are attracted to open areas like coastal dunes and prairies that appear somewhat similar to tundra. They have been reported as far south as the American states of Texas, Georgia, the American Gulf states, southernmost Russia, northern China and even the Caribbean

so_subtly_strange
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2012, 4:19 am

TeaEarlGreyHot is a displaced nomad & noname_ever is a Tufted Titmouse. i remember being a tufted titmouse. i think i saw something on PBS about tufted titmouse, i dont recall specifics, what it even looks like. displaced nomad sounds pretty self explanatory. nevertheless let us delve deeper for both.
wow the mouse is not a mouse. pretty cool
The Tufted Titmouse, Baeolophus bicolor, is a small songbird from North America, a species in the tit and chickadee family (Paridae).

Displaced nomad does not appear to have a formal definition. or its too technical of a term that quick internet searches do not shed light on. top result on wiki is : Israelite highland settlement. top google is a post on wrong planet by TeaEarlGreyHot

PM
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 4:49 am

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp695702.html#695702

That should tell you all the ranks and the posting requirements to get to said ranks

You can define your own rank after 1000 posts.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 4:58 am

After 1000 ranks you get to write out your own rank...custom rank it is called. TEGH chose it herself I think.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 5:17 am

Subtly_strange, I believe 'displaced nomad' is a custom user rank, one that GreenTea has chosen for herself because she has over 1,000 posts. After that point, you can just edit it to your own pleasure.

The custom ranks on WP are as follows:

0-8: Emu Egg
9-17: Butterfly
18- 24: Hummingbird
25-49 :Tufted Titmouse
50-74 : Yellow-bellied woodpecker
75-99: Blue Jay
100-124 :Raven
125-174: Snowy Owl
175-199: Pileated woodpecker
200-249 : Sea Gull
250-299- :Toucan
300-499: Deinonychus
400-599: Velociraptor
500-999: Phoenix
1000 onward, your own custom rank.

As for definitions, from the top of my dome, I'm quite familiar with Deinonychus and Velociraptor, two genera of dromaeosaurids, predatory dinosaurs with sickle-shaped claws on their feet. It's interesting that WP has chosen to make Velociraptor the higher rank than Deinonychus, as Velociraptor is the smaller genus of the two, only about 6 feet in length. Deinonychus is almost twice as large. It's speculated both hunted in packs, but considering that in modern times, a single genus like Panthera (lions, tigers, panthers, and jaguars) includes species that are solitary hunters as well as species that live and hunt in social groups, we may assume that the different species within the respective genera Deinonychus and Velociraptor had distinctive lifestyles.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 5:19 am

PM wrote:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp695702.html#695702

That should tell you all the ranks and the posting requirements to get to said ranks

You can define your own rank after 1000 posts.

Huh. I was so absorbed in figuring out the user ranks by browsing the members list, you and Jamie's posts streaked right past me.