Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 9:22 pm

Music is all about emotions for me. Certain songs can make me cry or feel passion,anger or a moment of happiness.
This is what makes music good since most songs are written as an emotional response for the artist.

Most of this is caused by the lyrics. The actual music can generate an emotional response but the lyrics are the primary cause of emotions.
The vocalist is also important. They must have a passionate voice for the song to work properly.

Writing about politics,nature,humanity and the emotions of the artist can help too. You cant have good music without passion and emotions.
Long instrument solos can take the passion out of music.

The beat and percussion can be important or can not. Many passionate folk songs are just a voice and a guitar.
This is proof that percussion and bass are not as important as good songwriting.
Some instruments such as guitars ,mandolins and violins can generate an emotional response from me as well.
The majority of electronic music and instrumental music does not seem very passionate to me.

When I sit in my bed crying for an unknown reason while listening to a song then we have a work of art.
A passionate voice, good songwriting and poetry accompanied by music are the most important things in music.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 11:14 pm

I like music that creates a lot of atmosphere and mood and I don't need to be depressed to enjoy somewhat dark and emotional music. I also like novelty so I don't really get too hung up on any one specific genre. I'm also more of a music person than a lyric person. It's the music itself that stirs the most emotion in me. Often it's unique sounds and rhythms that grab me more than a memorable melody.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

16 Jan 2012, 11:28 pm

I like something original. I despise most of today's music, because it all sounds the same. I want music that really catches my attention.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2012, 1:21 am

Whatever tugs at my heart strings. I listen to everything from bluegrass to deathcore. It all feels the same to me in one way or another.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 2:25 am

Music that gives me a sense of familiarity.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

oregonfunk
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2012, 1:58 am

I like music that causes that special moment-you all know what I mean, where time stands still and you are fully immersed by the music. I've come to know that there are no good or bad genres of music,only "good music" and "bad music", which is entirely subjective,of course. I also like when you have listened to an artist so much that their music becomes a part of who you are,like its entwined with your DNA

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 2:31 am

Onyxaxe wrote:
Whatever tugs at my heart strings. I listen to everything from bluegrass to deathcore. It all feels the same to me in one way or another.

This pretty much. My ipod is a smorgasbord of varied and often obscure music.

You will reap what you've sown.

themanfromacme
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2012, 11:26 pm

There is something to a song that I can't explain, but when it happens I latch on forever. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Some examples of it are "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World, "Don't Ask Me Why" by Billy Joel, and "You Can't Dance" by the Canadian artist Jackson Hawke.