Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 8:22 am

I like music that has a good melody, isn't too dominated by the lyrics/words, and has decent to good lyrics, has a lot of 'drama', you know, swing from slower/softer to faster/harder parts, makes you feel happy or a melodramatic kind of sad, and is fairly easy to listen to.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 8:58 am

Pretty much.

And a good vocal(ist).

To7m
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2012, 9:51 am

Technically complex stuff that's hard to play, has dramatic parts in it, uses good riffs, creates fun effects, uses dynamics well. Also, some evidence of experimenting, like using odd instruments, or inventing weird scales, or using different tunings and timings to normal. Vocals aren't particularly essential to me, I like a lot of stuff without vocals.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2012, 10:19 am

I like music that has a good beat, interesting lyrics, and catches my emotions.

usually they are not in english, or they are very weird english songs...

AQ: 36

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 11:41 am

A good message, some guitars a bass and a good beat.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 11:55 am

There are a lot of different things that I love about music, and some may not necessarily mesh well, so I can't say that there's anything absolutely perfect. Some have to be more situational or specific, generally having to do with video games, and may not do so well as just music by itself. There are the more atmospheric songs as well as those with strong melodies.

Lyrics are a mixed thing for me. Most in game soundtracks tend to be especially cheesy; a shining example of this would be the Sonic series. I didn't mind it as much in Shadow the Hedgehog, as I felt it was still fitting, but felt that Secret Rings' music could have been better with their omission. Of course, there are some exception. Some songs in Shadows of the Damned or Ico handle them quite well.

As for more traditional music, I like lyrics to be more "abstract", I guess. Some Beatles songs can be literal, but I think that a lot of their other work, as well as that of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Talking Heads, can be interpreted in more than just one way, which I enjoy about them. I also like the idea of, while not going out of their way to be particularly strange, bands that don't feel the need to fit a specific genre.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 11:58 am

Boxman108 wrote:
There are a lot of different things that I love about music, and some may not necessarily mesh well, so I can't say that there's anything absolutely perfect.

Same! Someone mentioned complex guitars/instrumentation, and while in many cases I dig that, I *also* like minimalistic experimental guitar styles, so it's hard to say what I like. It's the fusion of factors that makes an artist/a band good.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 12:01 pm

It needs to have a lot of wub wub wub wub errrrrr wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 3:19 pm

My taste in music varies greatly. Some, I like because of the instrumentals, some I like because of the rhythm, some I like for the lyrics... etc.

Overall, though, I have to 'feel' it. If the song is devoid of feeling for me I won't like it.

TellEmSteveDave
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2012, 4:08 pm

I don't really know! I don't have any criteria for what makes music good! I like The Beatles, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, The Pogues, The Dubliners, bagpipes, Dubstep, Acid House, Grindcore, Thrash Metal, Tegan and Sara, Joni Mitchell, Hardcore, Paul Simon etc. etc. :D I like so many different genres, it's hard to say

Last edited by TellEmSteveDave on 15 Jan 2012, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 4:19 pm

Honest, intelligent lyrics, and a melody that pulls on my heartstrings. Or a beat that makes me feel energetic and happy. Songs with feeling. Ambience.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 10:17 pm

The passion put into it's creation. It's the one thing the music I like has in common. If it's a piece of mass produced soulless worm excretions (Justin Bieber any one) then I will not listen to it. If strong emotion went into it's composition, weather it be joy, pain, anger, or some combination of those, then chances are I will like it.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 3:06 am

For me, it is anything that is able to evoke strong emotions

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 4:31 pm

Kinda hard to really describe, really. I've kinda determined, due to my NVLD/Aspergers, I have really unsophisticated musical tastes. I listen to lots of pop music, usually it's foreign pop music, but still pop music nonetheless. I occasionally listen to like "arty" stuff, too, but it's usually the more extreme end of it, like Yellow Magic Orchestra, probably too arty for "hipsters" to like even.

But anyway, I guess the easiest way to describe it would be, I like music that can paint a picture or show a movie in my head, if that makes sense. Also, oddly, I tend to like 80s and 90s music for this reason, as just being from the 80s or 90s, it reminds me of what I thought was a better time than now, because I was a kid in the 90s. Lyrics don't totally do it for me, oddly, I find Japanese songs have the best lyrics, like translated obviously, compared to most English music I listen to. I just find them really nice for some reason. But yeah, to sum it up quickly, I guess the ability to transport me somewhere else while listening to it, would be the key for music for me. I guess I like music that's an escape, not a reality. Reality is cruel and harsh, and hearing music about reality isn't very fun to me, which is why I don't listen to lots of emo, rock, etc. Generally I like "corny" love songs, as romantic love isn't something I'm familiar with, and it's sorta a window into that I guess.

So whether it's corny italodisco music or eurobeat, or if it's like weird mega arty music like Yellow Magic Orchestra or trance or something, as long as the music can take me somewhere else, yeah.

I guess some examples would be, Yellow Magic Orchestra - Technopolis, and then for like, a stereotypical kinda girly love song type thing I like, a song I just downloaded today, Belinda Carlisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth. I'm really partial to music that's older, as my memory doesn't have many bad associations with anything pre-2000ish. That, and my parents were very legalistic Fundies when I was a kid, so I never was exposed to music from past 1970 as a kid, but really loved the eurodance, etc I heard as a kid at my babysitter's house or whatever, so now that I'm older I download all the music I missed out on as a kid.

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 5:41 pm

I like a variety of music, but my listening trends show that I like darker sounding music. But, the music I most enjoy is music that produces some emotional response in me.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 9:11 pm

My favorite songs are instrumentals.
For me, lyrics ruin a song.

Diagnosed in 2005