Typing Problems for 6th grader/Middle School

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

knittingleah
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2012, 2:15 pm

My son is in 6th grade. This is his first year at middle school and he's doing ok. Not surprisingly, the change from elementary school was difficult and there are still issues that arise, but the staff is incredible and always willing to accommodate his needs. In the second marking period his grades have fallen in a few classes (they were all A's last time) and when looking at what assignments are giving him trouble I am not surprised. I have a meeting with a group of teachers this week and I feel that with the information I bring the problems can get solved, except in one class.

He has all A's in his computer class except for his timed WPM assignment. The class was given three tests and an average of the three was used for the grade. A perfect score was a 30; Colin scored 18, 17 and 18 giving him a D- on the assignment. His overall score is still an A-, but I feel like I need to address this right away.

I can't find anything that shows people with AS having a difficult time with typing. There are all sorts of ideas for those that struggle with hand writing, as my son does, but nothing about typing. Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any ideas that I can share with the staff at school to show that this is indeed an Asperger's issue?

Thanks!

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2012, 2:20 pm

knittingleah wrote:
My son is in 6th grade. This is his first year at middle school and he's doing ok. Not surprisingly, the change from elementary school was difficult and there are still issues that arise, but the staff is incredible and always willing to accommodate his needs. In the second marking period his grades have fallen in a few classes (they were all A's last time) and when looking at what assignments are giving him trouble I am not surprised. I have a meeting with a group of teachers this week and I feel that with the information I bring the problems can get solved, except in one class.

He has all A's in his computer class except for his timed WPM assignment. The class was given three tests and an average of the three was used for the grade. A perfect score was a 30; Colin scored 18, 17 and 18 giving him a D- on the assignment. His overall score is still an A-, but I feel like I need to address this right away.

I can't find anything that shows people with AS having a difficult time with typing. There are all sorts of ideas for those that struggle with hand writing, as my son does, but nothing about typing. Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any ideas that I can share with the staff at school to show that this is indeed an Asperger's issue?

Thanks!

Sounds like more of a dyspraxia than AS issue. I have both, can barely write at all anymore, yet have very good typing skills. What has his doctor said?

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 4:02 pm

My son is in sixth grade as well, and his hand writing is poor/at times fair but takes an enormous effort on his part. He usually ends up furious: erasers and pencils all over the room, etc.
However, I let him write on both the computer keyboard and an old stiff manual typewriter. He likes to send messages to a couple of our relatives who live far away. On the typewriter he and I leave messages for each other - we just leave a piece of paper in there and check once in a while. Like PM only physical? Anyway, these "non-assignment" activities have improved his typing so much that he now can type really fast. It took six months or so.
Hope that helps.
I just noticed that was your #1 post. Welcome. :)

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 4:48 pm

knittingleah wrote:

Thanks!

Many children on the spectrum, particularly those with AS, also meet the criteria for NVLD, and people with NVLD have slow processing speed, particularly visual, and may have some motor skills issues as well. It isn't that these people are not intelligent. In fact they will often outperform their peers on un-timed tests, it is just that it takes their brain longer to parse the incoming information and respond. In my experience, not much can be done about this because it's not a matter of lack of proficiency or unfamiliarity with the material. It is simple a matter of slow signal processes. For that reason, I believe it's a great dis-service to those with such issues to expect them to work at speeds they cannot work at because in NT individuals the time limit is to gauge familiarity and proficiency in a subject but to those with NVLD and similar LDs which cause processing speed deficits, such tests falsely attest to a lack of proficiency and prevents them from displaying their full potential. Continued timed testing on such subjects is ultimately futile and only serves to crush the individuals spirit and lower their self confidence and can result in anxiety in the subject which carries on into adulthood.

That being said, there is absolutely no reason he should be given these exams, particularly in this subject as if his disability inhibits him so from typing fast enough for his purposes, he can always use a dictation program. His time is better spent actually learning something.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 6:27 pm

As Chronos mentioned, even if a child has no physical issues, he may have a processing speed issue. Common IEP accommodations include additional time for ALL types of testing, and I suggest that you ask for his WPM tests to either NOT be graded, or to have some version of adjusted grading. The important thing is that he learn to type proficiently, not that he learn to type at X speed, and this is the first I've ever read of a 6th grader being tested in such a way, NT or AS (probably why you haven't been able to find discussion of the issue: it isn't an issue to most AS kids if most computer classes aren't grading it).

Other issues to look at include some version of disgraphia or transfer issues (sample to keyboard, many AS children can't copy from a board, and this could be similar). It is also worth looking into if he is focusing too much on spelling the words right - that will slow one down a whole lot.

My son is a highly proficient typist, far quicker than his peers, but he probably could not have passed such a test at that age. Speed is something people either have or don't have; practice improves it, but not even practice can create it in someone for whom speed just doesn't happen.

When I learned to type I had a terrible time with the WPM tests, but that was back in the day people assumed you wanted to use the skill to get a job as a secretary. What is funny now is that people stare in utter amazement when I type, because I developed excellent touch memory over the years, never look down, and type with good speed (good enough to impress the average finger typist, anyway ;) ). Who cares about the speed? Half those kids in class forgot how to type after the class ended. I didn't.

Rob-N4RPS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2012, 7:00 pm

Hello!

I can't touch-type, either, due to very big fingers. However, I can hunt-and-peck faster than most people can type.

As for speed and accuracy in touch-typing, that went out the window about the same time as the typewriter did. With word-processing technology, speed and proficiency no longer matter, as a spell-checker will usually catch most mistakes one make anyway.

I would definitely speak to them about not only accomodating his disability, but perhaps reevaluating the need to even make typing proficiency a part of the computer curriculum at all. Then again, they seem to teach a LOT of unnecessary garbage to kids these days, just to put into practice their own silly whims.

After all, as an example, who uses shorthand anymore anyway? No wonder so many people choose home schooling as an option!

Have A Great Day!

Rob

knittingleah
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2012, 8:35 pm

Wow! Before I say anything else I have to say, it is wonderful getting so many responses to my question. Except for the other parents at my son's therapy center, I haven't really talked to other people who "get" AS. Thank you!

It's going to take a while to dissect all of the great advice and ideas. There are things that I had never thought of trying. I'll have to take a look at dyspraxia and NLVD with his therapist. I feel much more confidant that my questions about the typing and AS are valid.

Thanks again -

*My kids started keyboarding skills in 3rd grade as part of their computer class.