Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

mom77
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jan 2012, 5:53 am

I just had an appointment at my 4th grader's school...or so I thought
The teacher had written me to arrange an appointment with the school guidance counselor and herself to discuss strategies for my not-yet-diagnosed daughter
I got to the school, and was greeted by a very puzzled guidance counselor who didn't know about the appointment
We went to ask the teacher, who had a lightbulb moment
She had written the request for me to come to school in my daughter's homework pad, and I had written back
The next day she asked my daughter if she showed me the note she had written, to which my daughter responded "yes"
The teacher didn't think to ask my daughter if I had responded, and my daughter answered her question in a literal and concise way

At least the school is a only a short walk, I got some needed exercise today!

postcards57
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2012, 1:23 pm

Haha! I enjoy these moments, too. I texted my daughter the other day and our conversation went something like this.
Me: Is the mail here yet?
DD: I don't know.
Me: Can you ask Daddy, when you get a chance?
DD: Yes.
Pause.
Me: Did you ask Daddy if the mail was here?
DD: No.
Me: Is Daddy home?
DD: Yes.
Me: Please go and ask Daddy if the mail is here.
DD: K.
Pause.

:-)

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

17 Jan 2012, 12:05 am

mom77 wrote:
I just had an appointment at my 4th grader's school...or so I thought
The teacher had written me to arrange an appointment with the school guidance counselor and herself to discuss strategies for my not-yet-diagnosed daughter
I got to the school, and was greeted by a very puzzled guidance counselor who didn't know about the appointment
We went to ask the teacher, who had a lightbulb moment
She had written the request for me to come to school in my daughter's homework pad, and I had written back
The next day she asked my daughter if she showed me the note she had written, to which my daughter responded "yes"
The teacher didn't think to ask my daughter if I had responded, and my daughter answered her question in a literal and concise way

At least the school is a only a short walk, I got some needed exercise today!

:huh: I dont get it.

mom77

17 Jan 2012, 12:21 am

ah, I wasn't so clear
Most kids would reply " yes, and she wrote you back"
my daughter answered the question exactly as it was asked

actually, I'm happy this happened
the teacher realized that this seems to be the reason she doesn't understand what she's expected to do in homework/test questions, and will be more aware to be exact with my daughter

mom77

17 Jan 2012, 3:49 am

what I also find interesting is that my daughters will be quick to point out each others' misunderstandings without seeing their own:

Me (on the phone with DD3): Please put the ((whatever)) on top of the fridge
DD3: that's impossible
Me: Why?
DD3: The FREEZER is on top of the fridge
DD2: Is she (DD3) an idiot????
---two hours later, at the bus station with DD2---
Woman on cellphone: I'm at the bus station
DD2: I hate when people lie! She's not at the bus station! She's IN FRONT of the bus station!

and I'm sure they could point out when I'm being annoyingly exact as well
:)

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 10:57 am

rofl!! !!

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

17 Jan 2012, 11:20 am

mom77 wrote:
what I also find interesting is that my daughters will be quick to point out each others' misunderstandings without seeing their own:

Me (on the phone with DD3): Please put the ((whatever)) on top of the fridge
DD3: that's impossible
Me: Why?
DD3: The FREEZER is on top of the fridge
DD2: Is she (DD3) an idiot????
---two hours later, at the bus station with DD2---
Woman on cellphone: I'm at the bus station
DD2: I hate when people lie! She's not at the bus station! She's IN FRONT of the bus station!

and I'm sure they could point out when I'm being annoyingly exact as well
:)

sounds like me and my sister....lol

Jojo

SpatzieLover
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2012, 5:11 pm

Funny & timely.

We went to see David Finch at a book signing last night. He discussed what it's like as an Aspie dad. His story was about his wife wanting him to get a bowl of Cheerios for their child.

My husband afterwards said, "Yes I can get a waflle for our son", wink, wink.

You see, if I ask him, or if my son asks him...he'll say "Yes." But then, he may not get one...

Or if he does realize it means he's been delegated to get a simple snack for our son, he'll then need to ask 3 or 4 follow up questions (what plate should I use? should I cut it for him? does he want butter?)

With AS, if you ask a simple question you will likely get a literal, simplified answer. My husband has been training himself to realize that "simple" is not "easy".

I love those who do not know how to live for today. ~Nietzsche