Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

aaron2292
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jan 2012, 7:33 pm

Has anybody heard of an Artie Shaw recording titled "Traffic Jam"? I find it to be a fast piece of jazz music. Also, I have many other favorite jazz artists from that era, such as Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, and sometimes Chick Webb. Does anyone have other favorite jazz artists that they like to listen to on occasion?

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 7:45 pm

I'm not an expert of any sort on Jazz, but there are some Jazz artists that I do like, although i wonder if they tend to be more Blues than Jazz.
I'm not so good at labelling genres.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGNc1yLGPug[/youtube]

Chipshorter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: The Georgian Quarter of The Pool of Life, The Centre of The Creative Universe

17 Jan 2012, 8:00 pm

aaron2292 wrote:
Has anybody heard of an Artie Shaw recording titled "Traffic Jam"?

Traffic Jam was that in his big band period or the Third stream?
I love Louis Armstrong and Ella, also I listen to a lot of bebop for that period mostly Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker and Thelonious Monk.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 9:57 pm

if the OP extends the scope of this thread slightly, back to 1929, there is a yummy recording of louis armstrong playing a fast version of "st. louis blues" that is not [as far as i've been able to find] in print, IOW after the initial 78 rpm issues back in the early 30s it was not issued again except for a rare italian LP import pressing. i find this situation to be perverse as this version is easily the best of all the "st. louis blues" recordings he's done. the others are way too slow.

aaron2292
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2012, 10:00 pm

I appreciate the fact that someone out there knows a little something different than I do. I didn't know there was a version of "St. Louis Blues" from 1929. I myself don't much care for Billie Holiday (too torchy/melancholy for me). However, I do like Duke Ellington and Count Basie (who both led famous big bands).