Anyone else listen to "oldies" music?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

goodiesguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jan 2012, 8:07 am

Am I the only one who listens to a very wide variety of "oldies" music?

I'm gonna type out a heap of Oldies artists, that only people who constantly listen to oldies or music nuts would know:

Del Shannon
Lou Christie
The Shirelles
Bobby Rydell
Chris Montez
Freddy Cannon
Jan & Dean
The Vogues
Annette Funicello
Lesley Gore
Cilla Black
Dusty Springfield
Lulu
Billy Fury
Cliff Richard
Les Paul & Mary Ford
The Shangri-Las
Johnny Horton
Lonnie Donegan
Petula Clark
Nancy Sinatra

Am I the only one here who knows who all these people are, and have heard, and enjoy their music?

I'm 15, and Have no idea about what music's current. All the music i listen to is "old".

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 8:12 am

Well all my favorite music is old, but not necessarily "oldies" lol. I'm pretty big into both folk and blues from the 60s and 70s, as well as classical...not entirely modern stuff :P.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 9:08 am

i am fond of much music, from the dawn of recorded sound to the year 1999 or so. but stuff of the last decade or so leaves me cold. it is either sterile-seeming [to me] or else it emulates older music but lacks the proper context. i like collecting stereo versions of old songs that were originally released in mono. there's a lot of that stuff being uncovered. my prize find is a recording of "chattanooga choo-choo" by glenn miller and his band from 1942, recorded in multichannel stereo sound on MGM multitrack optical film sound recording decks for the soundtracks to the musical films "sun valley serenade" and "orchestra wives." glenn miller sounds fabulous in higher-fidelity stereo sound, compared to the harsh and flat-sounding 78 rpm records most people are familiar with. there are also some very cleverly-done "digitally extracted/reconstructed stereo" edits out there done by fanatical hobbyists, i have a few of those, the best of which sound very truly stereo, with discrete instrumental placement on a virtual lateral soundstage. i have a rare 1929 louis armstrong recording of "st. louis blues" which is a fast outtake that was never released outside of a rare italian import lp from the 70s. his other versions were too slow/sedate for my tastes, the fast version sizzles.

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jan 2012, 9:44 am

Quite a few artist on you list that I like. I listen to a lot of music from the 30's and early 40's. I play lap steel guitar and it was huge back then.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 11:12 am

goodiesguy wrote:
Am I the only one who listens to a very wide variety of "oldies" music?

I'm gonna type out a heap of Oldies artists, that only people who constantly listen to oldies or music nuts would know:

Del Shannon
Lou Christie
The Shirelles
Bobby Rydell
Chris Montez
Freddy Cannon
Jan & Dean
The Vogues
Annette Funicello
Lesley Gore
Cilla Black
Dusty Springfield
Lulu
Billy Fury
Cliff Richard
Les Paul & Mary Ford
The Shangri-Las
Johnny Horton
Lonnie Donegan
Petula Clark
Nancy Sinatra

Am I the only one here who knows who all these people are, and have heard, and enjoy their music?

I'm 15, and Have no idea about what music's current. All the music i listen to is "old".

I have heard of them all and listen to the 60's on 6 on Sirius/XM radio-Les Paul and Mary Ford I have on my iPod as well as many of the people you have listed-Les Paul is significant because of the electric guitar that bears his name.Annette Funicello is significant due to another station on Sirius I listen to the host sings her Pineapple Princess song on Fridays LOL

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 11:41 am

Er, I'm not that intelligent when it comes to oldies. But I like, even if I don't have encyclopaedic knowledge about it.

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2012, 3:51 pm

I like oldies music. I don't listen to it often, but I listen to it more or less in the summertime. Now, there are certain subcategories I guess you can call it that, but I prefer the doo-wop style.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 4:16 pm

Dunno if it really is *that* old but I like The Beach Boys, their music sounds magical.