Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jan 2012, 11:11 pm

For some odd reason, I cannot do homework online. I can write online about my special interests all day long, but when it comes to doing homework on it, I feel like my brain is starting to implode.

I can do homework offline easier, like worksheets and the like. Even though sometimes it is hard for me to understand some of the questions. Although if it is not about my special interest, it is very hard to pay attention to it.

But for some odd reason, (and it has nothing to do with social networking sites, or distractions, etc), doing homework online (college homework) made my brain feel like it is going to burst. I do not know why.

Am I just too stupid for college?

AQ: 36

alwayswrong
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jan 2012, 11:20 pm

No, just by an printer that uses toner and kill a few trees printing stuff out. Has nothing to do with intelligence just how you learn. The next generation has an easier time at this.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 11:23 pm

If I understand what you are saying, no, your not stupid, just attention deficit (literally, not the disorder) from the sounds of it. Try to find a way to make yourself interested in it, or integrate your interests into in such a way that you can get motivated, or something.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

alwayswrong
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jan 2012, 11:46 pm

Ganondox wrote:
If I understand what you are saying, no, your not stupid, just attention deficit (literally, not the disorder) from the sounds of it. Try to find a way to make yourself interested in it, or integrate your interests into in such a way that you can get motivated, or something.

I would be scared to say it is as simple as attention deficit. Reading to comprehension that homework requires is a learn skill that older people or people that do not have access to computers early on haven't learn.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 11:49 pm

alwayswrong wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

I would be scared to say it is as simple as attention deficit. Reading to comprehension that homework requires is a learn skill that older people or people that do not have access to computers early on haven't learn.

Well if you say so, that's just what made the most sense from my own experience.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 12:23 am

I can't do my online homework either.

Because the system is down. :x

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 12:24 am

Quote:
For some odd reason, I cannot do homework online. I can write online about my special interests all day long, but when it comes to doing homework on it, I feel like my brain is starting to implode.

I can do homework offline easier, like worksheets and the like. Even though sometimes it is hard for me to understand some of the questions. Although if it is not about my special interest, it is very hard to pay attention to it.

But for some odd reason, (and it has nothing to do with social networking sites, or distractions, etc), doing homework online (college homework) made my brain feel like it is going to burst. I do not know why.

Am I just too stupid for college?

No. I don't believe you are stupid.

There is an old adage that goes something like this: Don't mix business with pleasure. It could be THAT psychologically on a subconscious level you associate your online activities with pleasure(special interest, social networking, etc). As a consequence, when you are given homework to do online, it becomes difficult to redirect your focal point to tasks that require you to complete assignments and learn new material i.e work. These opposing forces(on a subconscious level) associated with one common task(online activity) could make you feel overwhelmed( as if your brain were going to burst).

*Just an opinion and should be taken as such

TheSunAlsoRises

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 1:13 am

alwayswrong wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

I beg your pardon?

I never had hands on a computer until 1990, my 45th year of life. I have had no problem reading, comprehending and retaining quite complex material from the screen.

Iceveela, I'm sure you'll be fine. Just keep in your mind that this is stuff you gotta do to be a vet. Even subjects that may appear to have no connection with veterinary science have their place in the road you want to go.

169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2012, 1:47 am

I have problems with online homework and all my classes are online. :(

about 90% of the work is in the form of discussion boards. Our weekly required post is about 2 pages and our replies to classmates are about 1 page. Writing something when I have to use multiple resources takes me a long time. It can take most of the day just to write my initial post. Then it takes me another day or more to reply to 2 classmates. Most of my classmates posts are difficult to read because of formatting issues or their writing is bad. Sometimes copying the post then pasting it in word, double spacing it and taking out all the totally unnecessary citation stuff (I swear most of my classmates do not know how to cite APA and this is a 300 level class) makes it more readable. I don't even bother to read some of my classmates postings. Oh well, this is the last week for the discussion boards in this particular class.

Reading textbooks online sucks! In the future I'm going to have to buy a physical copy or if it's cheaper I'll print it out if possible. All of our tests are open book so I don't bother reading anything until the test. Even with a real book my comprehension is crappy at best and online is even worse.

NT score: 51 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 1:53 am

You like raccoon/dog things, right?

Roleplay. Imagine you found one lying on the road or whatever and you took it in, but OH MY GOD it turns out it's super intelligent. All it needs now is a good education and it'll be a super raccoon/dog thing, so you have teach it maths or whatever. And you start by doing your homework.

Awesome. Problem solved. You're welcome.

kt24
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2012, 2:55 am

I find that I can't write essays on computers, and certainly couldn't tell if they make sense.

I always print things off as it's easier to read, and then scribble all over print-outs, before copying my changes onto the computer, printing it off again etc...

alwayswrong
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jan 2012, 6:17 pm

Sibyl wrote:
alwayswrong wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

I beg your pardon?

I never had hands on a computer until 1990, my 45th year of life. I have had no problem reading, comprehending and retaining quite complex material from the screen.

Iceveela, I'm sure you'll be fine. Just keep in your mind that this is stuff you gotta do to be a vet. Even subjects that may appear to have no connection with veterinary science have their place in the road you want to go.

I think the more exact wording should be -- older or little access to computer are less likely to have learned the skill. When they are required to it is harder when it has not been part of your life, all your life.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Jan 2012, 7:27 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to School and College Life]

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jan 2012, 4:22 pm

What I do is type mine in Microsoft Word and do a copy-paste. If that's a problem, handwrite it as you like and simply retype what you've written. See if that helps.