Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 12:25 pm

It also does say they have been speculated to be diagnosed or misdiagnosed or with another autism condition.

But hardly anyone on that list was a criminal.

But this is a silly question because that is like asking why are so many none ASD murderers. Truth is, they're not. People that kill are in the minority, same as ones who have autism. They didn't kill just because they had autism, they killed because of something else. Autism doesn't cause murder unless you want to say their meltdowns caused it such as Sky Walker for example. He killed his mother from his meltdown by hitting her in the head. But those cases are rare when autism can actually cause someone to murder but it was unintentional when he did it. But if he had the normal intelligence, he maybe wouldn't have done it knowing that blowing someone in the head can actually harm them and possibly cause death so therefore he wouldn't have done it. So someone can say instead it was the mental retardation that did it, not the autism. But if he had normal intelligence and still did it, no one would be saying it was the autism. But yeah it's rare for a mental condition to cause someone to murder.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 2:06 pm

antonblock wrote:
hi there,

just checkout

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pe ... _disorders

* Michael Burry, US investment fund manager[4]
* William Cottrell, student sentenced for fire-bombing SUV dealerships[7]
* Robert Durst, American real estate developer accused of murder[10]
* Robert Napper, British murderer[19]
* Nicky Reilly, failed suicide bomber from Britain[25]

and you will find also remarkably many "not so good guys" there... murderer, suicide bombers and so on.... ok, to be more precise, there are 4 of them, ... that might seem to be a small number, but if I imagine someone who does not know about AS, I think this is too many. you really got the impression that autistic people are more dangerous than other social groups.

Do you know any other social group which features 4 murderers?

I really don't get why the people here on WP just don't fight more for a better image and respect for their minority. Why let other decide what to think about their condition?

Why for example does no one here put an eye on this list of famous people on wikipedia? I got the impression, that people who really have no clue or didn't understand the condition decide who to put on this list or not. why are there so many murders there?

I mean, its absolutely possible that there are aspies who are murderers, but I think they got other problems which make them less likely to become murderers. I think this is false construction of the society, that those who are normal or appear to be so are less likely murderers, but those who look odd, or... in this case have asperger are more likely to be a murderer.

I think we should fight more,.... not just talking here ..... its frustrating for me at least.

best regards,

anton

4 people?? You're kidding me right?

That is called bigotry when someone decides that because of a very small group of people that it means "SO MANY" are doing this and that. Do you want autistics to be murderers?

Now compare that small list with how many murderers there are that aren't autistic.

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2012, 2:40 pm

*sigh* This is the same thing furries/bronies are getting. We're mostly made up of normal people(well...you get the idea) but then someone latches on to one murder or one brony fursuit enthusiast and viola! We're all possible psychopaths! Although I doubt I'll be the first to admit aspies can be a little amoral from time to time, at least in my own case.

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2012, 2:50 pm

antonblock wrote:
hi there,

just checkout

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pe ... _disorders

* Michael Burry, US investment fund manager[4]
* William Cottrell, student sentenced for fire-bombing SUV dealerships[7]
* Robert Durst, American real estate developer accused of murder[10]
* Robert Napper, British murderer[19]
* Nicky Reilly, failed suicide bomber from Britain[25]

and you will find also remarkably many "not so good guys" there... murderer, suicide bombers and so on.... ok, to be more precise, there are 4 of them, ... that might seem to be a small number, but if I imagine someone who does not know about AS, I think this is too many. you really got the impression that autistic people are more dangerous than other social groups.

Do you know any other social group which features 4 murderers?

I really don't get why the people here on WP just don't fight more for a better image and respect for their minority. Why let other decide what to think about their condition?

Why for example does no one here put an eye on this list of famous people on wikipedia? I got the impression, that people who really have no clue or didn't understand the condition decide who to put on this list or not. why are there so many murders there?

I mean, its absolutely possible that there are aspies who are murderers, but I think they got other problems which make them less likely to become murderers. I think this is false construction of the society, that those who are normal or appear to be so are less likely murderers, but those who look odd, or... in this case have asperger are more likely to be a murderer.

I think we should fight more,.... not just talking here ..... its frustrating for me at least.

best regards,

anton

Yes, I know of a social group that has many THOUSANDS of times more murderers, Neurotypicals. What is their reasoning for murdering someone?

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 2:55 pm

Yeah, more NTs commit violent acts than ASD people. Probably more than the majority of schizophrenics, too.
Such an absurd statement.

Matt

Transhuman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2012, 3:14 pm

My friend, who also has Asperger's, set up an Internet company which sells a game script which he also didn't make. This website has an automatic buying system, and he now uses it to transfer money from hacked bank accounts and credit cards. There is probably a link between antisocial behavior and Asperger's.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 4:36 pm

The list should also include Lisa Brown who was convicted of her mother's murder in 2009. Brown is diagnosed with Asperger's.

axiom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jan 2012, 7:20 pm

Well I find that the feeling of isolation and being different from the rest of the world takes it toll on you. If you allow your resentment of the rest of the world to accumulate, you may end up lashing out on others.

Don't think of this along the lines of "aspies could become murderers". Think about it like "people who don't fit in will and feel alienated by society could become murderers" which I think is fairly straightforward and almost common sense (and could easily describe a lot of NT murderers).

And of course there are so many other factors at play. You found four examples. That is not a significant enough sample size to create a correlation (even if you could determine with certainty whether those murderers in question have Aspergers). Secondly, even if you can find a reasonable correlation, you can't just assume you have proven that aspies become murderers because you have to account for extra variables.

So basically if anyone tries to bring this up as an attack against aspies, you should destroy them relentlessly in an argument.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 9:03 pm

I think threads like this probably do more damage than wikipedia lists.

When people look at a wikipedia list they tend to give it a lot less credibility than it deserves and then on top of that they just sort of shrug off what is realistic since WP:N is so strict that its stupid... There are lots of things wrong with wikipedia and everybody knows it.

However someone comes to a place like WP and is browsing around for answers and they see someone arguing that there is reason to be swayed by absolutely biased lists and they might not realize that they are speaking to someone with bias who is sourcing from a biased resource...

luckily... most people are still probably smart enough not to insist that autistic/aspergian/etc people are murderers from this light topic so its all groovy :)

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 9:46 pm

Every social group has a few murders, four is not a lot, it's just we don't have a lot of famous non-murders up yet. The fact is that the easiest way to become famous is to kill people.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 9:46 pm

an activity for this forum: change the wikipedia article? thinkl of something better?

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Jan 2012, 9:59 pm

NathanealWest wrote:
I dunno, I'm seeing alot of entertainers and computer hackers on the list as well. I think it may be a problem of seeing what you want to see.

I haven't read much on this thread, but your words reminded me of something in seeing what we want to see. While on lunch duty at school a couple or so years ago, I thought "I think I will try to look for someone using a cellphone," (not allowed during school where I teach) and within a minute I found one. Had I not been focusing on cell phones, I wouldn't have found it. When we focus on things, we generally find them.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 10:03 pm

Transhuman wrote:
My friend, who also has Asperger's, set up an Internet company which sells a game script which he also didn't make. This website has an automatic buying system, and he now uses it to transfer money from hacked bank accounts and credit cards. There is probably a link between antisocial behavior and Asperger's.

No there is not, any connection between AS and ASPD is a myth. I want you to go look a few lists of common Aspie traits, a few lists of common Psycopath traits, compare and contrast them, and tell me that aspies are a bunch of psychopathic serial killers.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 1:49 pm

WRONG DIAGNOSES!! !

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2019, 1:51 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Transhuman wrote:

No there is not, any connection between AS and ASPD is a myth. I want you to go look a few lists of common Aspie traits, a few lists of common Psycopath traits, compare and contrast them, and tell me that aspies are a bunch of psychopathic serial killers.

The media is causing this. I really don't like how people on the spectrum are portrayed in the television drama, "The Good Doctor". The "Big Bang Theory" is much more closer to the truth.