hi there,

just checkout

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pe ... _disorders

* Michael Burry, US investment fund manager[4]
* William Cottrell, student sentenced for fire-bombing SUV dealerships[7]
* Robert Durst, American real estate developer accused of murder[10]
* Robert Napper, British murderer[19]
* Nicky Reilly, failed suicide bomber from Britain[25]

and you will find also remarkably many "not so good guys" there... murderer, suicide bombers and so on.... ok, to be more precise, there are 4 of them, ... that might seem to be a small number, but if I imagine someone who does not know about AS, I think this is too many. you really got the impression that autistic people are more dangerous than other social groups.

Do you know any other social group which features 4 murderers?

I really don't get why the people here on WP just don't fight more for a better image and respect for their minority. Why let other decide what to think about their condition?

Why for example does no one here put an eye on this list of famous people on wikipedia? I got the impression, that people who really have no clue or didn't understand the condition decide who to put on this list or not. why are there so many murders there?

I mean, its absolutely possible that there are aspies who are murderers, but I think they got other problems which make them less likely to become murderers. I think this is false construction of the society, that those who are normal or appear to be so are less likely murderers, but those who look odd, or... in this case have asperger are more likely to be a murderer.

I think we should fight more,.... not just talking here ..... its frustrating for me at least.

best regards,

anton

Last edited by antonblock on 19 Jan 2012, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

NathanealWest
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2012, 9:34 am

I dunno, I'm seeing alot of entertainers and computer hackers on the list as well. I think it may be a problem of seeing what you want to see.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 9:37 am

It's wikipedia - are you taking it seriously? Much of that list is speculation. Nothing to see here, move along...

LetoAtreides82
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2012, 9:39 am

The way you worded it I thought the list would be 95% murderers but it seems that I only managed to find one person in that list accused of murder, one murderer, and one person who failed in his suicide bomb attempt which resulted in no deaths. Hmm, 1 out of 62 is about 1.6%, I don't think there's anything to worry about here.

The one murderer in that list, Robert Napper, happens to be a paranoid schizophrenic who was sexually harassed by a family friend at the age of 12.

Just noticed that you claim there are 4 murderers in that list. I don't see that, legally you can only say there's 1 murderer in that list, Robert Napper. William Cottrell, the student that firebombed some dealerships killed no one, the failed suicide bomber killed no one, and Robert Durst was only accused of murder.

Last edited by LetoAtreides82 on 19 Jan 2012, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 9:43 am

I'm not seeing many murderers in that list.

It's missing Martin Bryant though, a murderer.

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2012, 9:43 am

LetoAtreides82 wrote:
The way you worded it I thought the list would be 95% murderers but it seems that I only managed to find one person in that list accused of murder, one murderer, and one person who failed in his suicide bomb attempt which resulted in no deaths. Hmm, 1 out of 62 is about 1.6%, I don't think there's anything to worry about here.

One question: if you wouldn't know much about AS and you would check out this site to find more about it. What would you keep in mind? Would you keep in mind the many good ones, or would you keep in mind "there are some aspies who are murderers"? And then, how would you treat aspies?

thanks
anton

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2012, 9:46 am

Dillogic wrote:
I'm not seeing many murderers in that list.

It's missing Martin Bryant though, a murderer.

hehe... very funny.... ;-)

PS: if you add this one to wikipedia, i will kill you ;-)

PPS: if his happens, and someone adds me to the list, I please someone to kill that guy ;-)

just kidding

best regards,

anton

LetoAtreides82
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2012, 9:48 am

antonblock wrote:
LetoAtreides82 wrote:

One question: if you wouldn't know much about AS and you would check out this site to find more about it. What would you keep in mind? Would you keep in mind the many good ones, or would you keep in mind "there are some aspies who are murderers"? And then, how would you treat aspies?

thanks
anton

If they look at that list and conclude that aspies are bad people just because 1.6% of that list contains murderers then they have poor judgement among other problems.

NathanealWest
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2012, 9:50 am

antonblock wrote:
LetoAtreides82 wrote:

thanks
anton

It sounds like you want suspected and convicted aspergers' to be dropped from this list for the purpose of increasing better sympathy from the community. I think that's called lying.

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2012, 10:40 am

LetoAtreides82 wrote:
antonblock wrote:
LetoAtreides82 wrote:

thanks
anton

If they look at that list and conclude that aspies are bad people just because 1.6% of that list contains murderers then they have poor judgement among other problems.

dear leto,

two questions:
1.) do most people have good judement? What about if you ask "you got a 10% change" versus "you gonna loose at 90%"?
2.) anyone, is the 1.6% objective? even if the list has only 1.6% murderers, is this ok in an objective sense? - is this representative? Are 1.6% of apies murderer? yes or no? so does it give a false impression, yes or no?

thanks,

anton

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 10:46 am

How many of those alleged Aspies had an actual diagnosis of AS/ASD by an appropriately trained mental health professional?

How many actually had some form of Schizoid Personality Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, or some other disorder affecting their perception or behavior?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 10:48 am

Martin Bryant was actually diagnosed with AS though (though HFA would probably be more correct with his early developmental history taken into account). If you have a list of famous [and infamous] people with an ASD, you need to put them all in to be objective.

But, that's beside the point. All that I've read states that people with an ASD are less likely to be violent offenders than those without such.

(Make a list of famous and infamous people without an ASD. I'm betting it'll have more murderers in it, the ratio that is.)

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2012, 11:03 am

thanks for the comments,

maybe you are all right, but it just annoys me that people get the idea that AS people are violent, although the contrary seems to me true.

best regards,

anton

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 11:10 am

considering the rates of bullying and abuse against aspies because of their differences, in combination with anger issue sthat some aspies struggle with, it would not surprise me if we actually did have a higher ratio of violent offenders than NTs (though apparently it isn't the case anyways).

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Jan 2012, 12:08 pm

This is yet another example of subjective studies.

I bet that I could just as easily pose the question "Why are so many Zenith TV owners, murderers?".

All politics aside, I'd venture to guess that schizophrenia is far more likely to be in the mental health file of the typical murderer, than Asperger's, Autism, or any other mental issues.

Charles

Last edited by kx250rider on 19 Jan 2012, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2012, 12:09 pm

thanks for the comments,

maybe you are all right, but it just annoys me that people get the idea that AS people are violent, although the contrary seems to me true.

best regards,

anton