Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

wokndead
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2012, 1:48 pm

Hi all! I'm still new to all this. I learned of my "aspie-ness" last August, when I finally looked up Asperger's to find out what it was all about. It was actually a friend of mine, who is also an aspie, who had told me over and over to look it up. And now I know why. the more I read up about it, the more it sounded like me. I took both of the available online tests (the AQ Test and the Aspie Quiz) and both pointed to me being an aspie. I never bothered with an official diagnosis, because there seems to be no point at this stage in my life. I've made it this far: 34 years old, wife and 5 kids, and a good steady job (FINALLY!). Since I'm no longer in school, there's really nothing an official dx would do for me. My AS is mild, so I can make it through life with only minor/moderate issues.

Since realizing that I have AS, I've become aware of behaviors and sensitivities that I had previously ignored, just thinking I was weird. I'm sensitive to light and sound. I walk on my toes whenever I'm not wearing shoes or slippers. I rock, sway, and have other stims (visual stims, like squinting or staring at glittery things, and various other physical stims, like "leg flapping" and finger drumming.) I like people, as a rule, but I don't really like being around them. I'm pretty quiet in social settings, until I've been drinking a bit. I do enjoy being social at times, but I feel drained pretty quickly.

Music is a big obsession of mine, and has been since birth. It helps me concentrate at work, and blocks out unwanted distractions when I'm out grocery shopping (something I do only on Sundays, and one hour before closing, and always with my ipod.) Puzzles are another obsession. My mom tells me of how I used to amaze her with the way I would solve a Rubik's cube when I was a kid. Jigsaw puzzles are especially bad for me. If I start one, it's pretty much all I can think about until it's finished. Luckily, I finish them pretty quickly. :lol: I also try not to pick one up too often. Computers are also a big one (hence my career choice), as are video games. You will completely lose me in front of a puzzle game on the computer. :wink:

I did well in school, academically, as long as it was within my special interests. I aced those classes, while barely skimming through with C's and D's in others. Some of my teachers wanted to put me in advanced classes, but I refused. Socially, however, I was teased quite a bit. I was one of those "nerds", which was a bad thing back then. I didn't have many friends, and had no problems playing alone. I enjoyed reading, and I still do, but I never read story books as a kid. It was always encyclopedias and other informative things. I didn't get into story books until junior high, when I picked up my first Dean Koontz horror novel. Been hooked ever since.

I guess I'll stop there. This is supposed to be an introduction, after all, not my life story. I've been on other forums before, but this one seemed different, somehow, so I thought I'd join in. Thanks for having me!

"Whoever said nothing's impossible never tried slamming a revolving door."

kobi_galon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2012, 1:59 pm

Welcome to WP!

My case is similar to yours, though I'm a bit younger and have no wife and kids (also, for my searching for a diagnosis). It's interesting to see that you spent years finding yourself "weird" (and now found out what that really is), but you could achieve many good things in life. That's what happened to me too. :)

"A man is as free as he chooses to make himself, never an atom freer"

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 2:08 pm

Welcome to WP!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 9:43 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

wokndead